Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby Ref Link

• 09-02-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭

Do any of you techie radio heads know the frequency used by the reflink radio system at rugby internationals please ?

I have a trusty Roberts personal radio and am wondering where I can find the transmission ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

It was 92.1 in Lansdowne Road, not sure if that'll be the same as Croker.

Great for us tight bastards who don't want to fork out......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Looks like it's 96.0Mhz. From the BCI web site

IRFU 96.0MHz 21st, 22nd, 23rd October 2006

11th, 19th, 26th November 2006

9th, 10th, 11th December 2006

11th, 24th February 2007

Just bring a standard radio and tune up and down 'till you find it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

And you will need to be near the stadium to pick it up, its as low a power as a hospital radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Antenna

They were selling "Ref-Link radios" for 10 Euros each to the arriving supporters. These being little earphone radios I presume preset to the frequency concerned!

Something else to make money on!

I expect many supporters wouldn't realise they could use their own radio (many would have had radios on phones, MP3 players etc) - It would appear the frequency doesn't be advertised at the stadium (otherwise the OP wouldn't be asking about it)!
    damienom wrote:
    Great for us tight bastards who don't want to fork out......
    I wonder are the radios just 'throw-away' afterwards, or can they be re-tuned by the purchaser to a different frequency etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Antenna wrote:
    They were selling "Ref-Link radios" for 10 Euros each to the arriving supporters. These being little earphone radios I presume preset to the frequency concerned!

Something else to make money on!

I expect many supporters wouldn't realise they could use their own radio (many would have had radios on phones, MP3 players etc) - It would appear the frequency doesn't be advertised at the stadium (otherwise the OP wouldn't be asking about it)!

I wonder are the radios just 'throw-away' afterwards, or can they be re-tuned by the purchaser to a different frequency etc

tbh, I'd have no problem paying a tenner to get the ref-link. I wouldn't want to bring my own radio to the game, and I know I don't have to buy a reflink, but I think it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I always thought tho, that it'd be a good promo for a radio station to give away radio kits that were preset to their frequency and couldn't be changed. Kits like that could hardly be expensive and could be branded with the station branding. Maybe in a few years we'll all be getting free radios instead of newspapers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

tbh wrote:
    tbh, I'd have no problem paying a tenner to get the ref-link. I wouldn't want to bring my own radio to the game, and I know I don't have to buy a reflink, but I think it adds to the enjoyment of the game.

I always thought tho, that it'd be a good promo for a radio station to give away radio kits that were preset to their frequency and couldn't be changed. Kits like that could hardly be expensive and could be branded with the station branding. Maybe in a few years we'll all be getting free radios instead of newspapers!
    Newstalk gave away such radios for Leinster games a while back. Got a couple for the Bourgoine game in Lansdowne road as they were doing commentary.

To be honest, it depends entirely on the Ref as to whether or not the Ref-link is worth tuning into. Somebody like Tony Spreadbury is a super ref to listen to, as is Alain Rolland or Steve Walsh as they have a bit of personality. Somebody like Chang-leng (spl?) would make me tune my radio to the commentary on whatever station is covering the match.

As for antenna's question. The batteries in the Ref-link are good for about 8 games, but they're not tuneable, so if they change frequency, you're stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

tbh wrote:

I won one like that from 2fm, way back in about 1988! It was like the tiny one-button-scan fm radios you can get but it was preset to the 2fm frequency and couldnt be changed. Lasted me about 2 weeks I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jonnyh

Does anyone know where i could source ref links from? Thanks

jonnyh wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i could source ref links from? Thanks

they usually sell them outside the stadium, or a pocket radio might work as well, depending on the frequency used.

Actually this thread reminded me of one of my favourite things during a rugby game, when the ref makes a joke, and about 1/5 of the stadium (with the ref-link) all laugh at the same time - don't know why I like that so much, but I do :)

Thanks m8, im looking to buy in bulk for my rugby club. Was wondering if there was a way i could buy them at source? ie from the manufacturer? thanks

• Advertisement

A company called Redstone Radios supply the IRFU, can't find contact details for them on the net tho. The IRFU might be able to help. Also, found this:

RUGBY REFLINK LTD
    Rugby House,
    Rugby Road
    Twickenham, TW1 1DS (GB)

Thanks alot, thats brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Hi all,

I've checked the BCI website but there are no details of a temporary license for Croke Park. Does anyone know if they're still broadcasting Ref Link on 96.0mhz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Just bring any FM radio with you and tune up and down the band till you find it. Possible frequencies are 96.0, 92.1 or 97.3. Tune about and I'm sure you'll know when you find it!

Advertisement