Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre driving test questions

Options
  • 09-02-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

know some of these have been answered, but i havent time to go through every post

1) When coming to a red light and slowing down, should i stay in whatever gear I am in, stop and the put into neutral? Or should I change down the gears eg from 4th to 3rd to 2nd?

2) At the lights, I think I read here that if your in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd car, your meant to keep the car in first gear rather than neutral. Is this true? What would happen if you out into neutral, would you get a grade 1 or 2?

3)When your a tlights and you know your light is about to turn green, is it accepateble to put your hand on the handbrake, before it goes green?
    Can i rest my hand on the handbrake while the light is red?

4) when in traffic, do i have to keep putting the car from neutral to first gear, drive a few metres, then put handbrake on and back into neutral?
    Or can i just drive using the clutch like i usually do?

5) Speed ramps, is there a correct method for doing them? I usually just slow down before them and then let the car role over them?

Thnaks for the help!

PS im doing it at 8.30 in the morning, is this going to a disadvantage due to the extra volume of cars on the roads?

And anyone done it in citywest? Anyone done it here?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1) When coming to a red light and slowing down, should i stay in whatever gear I am in, stop and the put into neutral? Or should I change down the gears eg from 4th to 3rd to 2nd?
    change all the way down to 2nd - if you are driving @ 20mph in 5th you haven't full control of the car in case you need to drive off quickly.

2) At the lights, I think I read here that if your in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd car, your meant to keep the car in first gear rather than neutral. Is this true? What would happen if you out into neutral, would you get a grade 1 or 2?
    If you sit in 1st gear then you run the risk of your foot slipping off the clutch and moving forward. I think its meant to be out of gear and handbrake on.

3)When your a tlights and you know your light is about to turn green, is it accepateble to put your hand on the handbrake, before it goes green?
    I never heard anything about this.

4) when in traffic, do i have to keep putting the car from neutral to first gear, drive a few metres, then put handbrake on and back into neutral?
    See point 2

5) Speed ramps, is there a correct method for doing them? I usually just slow down before them and then let the car role over them?

slow down before them raher than braking right at them. in theory you shouldn't be going very fast anyhow that it would require sharp braking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Thanks for that Kbannon. Fingers crossed this all goes to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

In relation to question 2, I was told that if you are coming to a stop for a red light, you put car in neutral and put handbrake on, but its okays to stay in first if you at the front of the queue. (Did the test 2 yrs ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

dont sweat the small stuff!

I was worried about things like that when i went for my driving test, but in reality the tester isnt watching and analyzing your every move, they are only human you know.

In answer to your individual questions, i agree with kbannon on 1,2,4&5, for 3, id say* youd be safe enough having your hand on the handbrake/gear stick ready to move when the lights change, it shows your paying attention to the lights and other traffic around you

*=my opinion only!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pinkie1

hey
    i have my driving test in a few weeks and i need lessons! my last instructor was not so good- i wold like an instructor in the clondalkin area who will show me what i need to know for the test!help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

did you pass OP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi

1) When coming to a red light and slowing down, should i stay in whatever gear I am in, stop and the put into neutral? Or should I change down the gears eg from 4th to 3rd to 2nd
    Ans: you go down gears, you can skip gears ie from 4 to 2

Ans: if in position 1,2,or 3 stay in gear 1 handbreak on, good for progress.

Ans: yes just before the change put your hand on HB. you should have you hands on the SW, incase a car hits you from behind.

Ans: control your car with the clutch, only use the HB and neutral if you will be stoped for a time.

Ans: slowdown go over in 2nd or 3rd depends on ramp, 2nd most ramps.

PS im doing it at 8.30 in the morning, is this going to a disadvantage due to the extra volume of cars on the roads?
    Ans: IF your not moving you won't ....

Advertisement