Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pedals for touring

Options
  • 09-02-2007 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Doing a long charity cycle in a few months heard that MTB clipless pedals are better for touring but should i'l just stick with the road ones.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i guess people might say they are better as you can walk better in the shoes?
    but the shoes aren't as good for cycling (at least the leisure type ones). so you have to weigh up what you want more, is in a one day long cycle or a week long tour thing? Do you have to carry everything you need with you or is there support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd strongly recommend clipless pedals for any long distance cycling. They're much more efficient than flats. Something like the Shimano 520 would be good value for money. You shoe choice would depend on how much walking you'd be doing - on a long tour you'd want the same shoes for cycling and walking (like these). If it's just a day cycle then something more cycling specific would be fine (e.g.).

An alternative to this would be a decent set of clips and straps (e.g. MKS Sylvan Touring) with a stiff soled pair of cycling shoes without cleats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Morgan wrote:
    I'd strongly recommend clipless pedals for any long distance cycling. They're much more efficient than flats. Something like the Shimano 520 would be good value for money. You shoe choice would depend on how much walking you'd be doing - on a long tour you'd want the same shoes for cycling and walking (like these). If it's just a day cycle then something more cycling specific would be fine (e.g.).

An alternative to this would be a decent set of clips and straps (e.g. MKS Sylvan Touring) with a stiff soled pair of cycling shoes without cleats.

Nah wont be doing much walking. Would you recommend MTB clipless For long distance cycling??

We are doing Malin head - Mizen head over 5 days

will chip in on the mtb pedals, for that much cycling I wouldn't use MTB pedals as there is little float (basically left to right wiggle room at the ankle). since you aren't doing much walking i'd get road pedals with decent float like crank bros or speedplay, although they are a bit steep..

i bought a pair of these http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1305

and a pair of specalized shoes.

I am a bit nervous yet with them i havent gone out on the road yet with em. i practised in my garage this morning leaning against the door geting in and out of them.

• Advertisement

they will be grand, loosen the screw at the back of the pedal as far as it will go intially for easy exit. did u get red or black cleats? the red have more float and are kinder to your knees if you have knee issues..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I got me a pair of Time Atac pedals recently, they're good value and come with cleats that work fine with MTB-type shoes. No complaints as yet. I did fall over in a most embarrassing fashion on Capel St. the day i bought them however. I was still clipped in on the ground, it was as mortifying as it was dangerous.

daveym wrote:
    they will be grand, loosen the screw at the back of the pedal as far as it will go intially for easy exit. did u get red or black cleats? the red have more float and are kinder to your knees if you have knee issues..

Neither i got the silver ones :P

went out on road today with the clipless for a short spin and i think i have it mastered. :D Didnt fall off anyway (not yet anyway)

E@gle. wrote:
    went out on road today with the clipless for a short spin and i think i have it mastered. :D Didnt fall off anyway (not yet anyway)

it's when u have it mastered that they get you, one day you will roll to a stop completely forgetting you have them on. followed by a thud!

• Advertisement
Advertisement