Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use protection?

Options
  • 09-02-2007 11:53pm

Just trying to see how people are with the topic of wearing helmets for commuting.

Do you wear a helmet when cycling? If so, did anything in particular spark you into wearing it? Or have you just always done so.

I have been commuting by bike since july, and until this week have never worn a helmet. I was confident in my abilities to avoid an accident, and was arrogant/cocky enough to believe I'd never be hurt.

Anyway, on Tuesday I was cycling home when some pedestrian stepped off the path directly in front of me, we collided at about 25mph, and i was thrown over the handlebars. I landed on my back and other than a few cuts and general stiffness, I'm fine.

But I decided that this was my wake up call, and decided to invest in a helmet. So I bought a good, Met helmet today. It looks okay, for a helmet, is comfortable, and was well sold by the reliable bike shop salesman.

So what about you? Do you wear a helmet when commuting?

Do you wear a helmet? 45 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Been wearing a helmet since 1994. Just copied my girlfriend at the time.
    Been wearing a Sam Browne belt and gloves since 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Used to wear out of sense of responsibilty, but not 100% of the time. Then fell off and cracked the helmet, but walked a way a little dazed instead of in an ambulance. So now wear a helmet 100% of the time because I don't want to find out what my head could look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Been wearing a helmet since a fellow cyclist showed me his cracked helmet after getting taken down by a car. Better a cracked helmet than a cracked skull.

Not that I particularly like the helmet. That icky feeling when putting on the helmet for the evening run home to find the morning's sweat hasn't dried off yet -yeuck. It's always the first thing I take off when I reach my destination.

But I wouldn't leave home without it - My 3-year old will reprimand any cyclist she sees without a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I always wear one - have done since about 1990, when I had a lovely one with a stretchy pink and grey fabric cover. Nice. Now I've got a Met 5th Element - it was pricey, even in the sale, but has plenty of vents so it's less sweaty than a lot of the others I've used.

I came off recently - back wheel went on a lefthander - and got a nice collection of road rashes (ankle, knee, hip and elbow). The speed and ease with which you can come off a bike is a good reminder of why it's sensible to wear a helmet, particularly if there's traffic around. I managed not to hit my head but that was probably as much down to luck as anything.

EDIT: yay, 100 posts - I get another star from teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I've been wearing one for 5 years now. I first started when I moved to Dublin and cycling became my primary mode of transport. I've got a very expensive one for racing and a clunkier one for everyday cycling. I've had a couple of tumbles and always replace my helmet after an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I always always wear a helmet. I've seen too many cracked and broken ones after crashes not to, and too many bashed skulls after crashes with no helmet.

When I see someone without a lid, I think.... muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

When I see someone without a lid, I think.... muppet.
    That'll be a lot then :)

I wear a helmet while mtbing or on my road bike. Never while commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Tails142

When I cycled to school I used to never wear a helmet. But now that I cycle into the city centre, I always wear a helmet - its just too dangerous not to.

Morgan wrote:
    I wear a helmet while mtbing or on my road bike. Never while commuting.
    As a helmet wearer, I am curious why you don't wear one while commuting?
    I think I can understand why you wear it mtbing - uneven terrain, etc
    IMO commuting has its own dangers - hard, heavy vehicles, jaywalking pedestrians, uneven terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It's habit I suppose. I've been regularly riding to school and then work for 18-20 years or so. The only head protection back then would have been a leather hair net, which were strictly for racers. Bike helmets have become more common in recent years but I'm just very used to going without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bettyboo2u

To not wear a helmet is like having a death wish. Other than brakes and lights, it is the most important thing a cyclist should have.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Banged my head against a wall as a kid on a bmx. Started wearing a helmet when I was in my twenties and would turn back if I forgot it. Regardless of terrain or duration, if I'm cycling I wear the lid. Having said that none of my bad crashes, and I have had four since the bmx thing, would have been any worse for not wearing a helmet. That's not to diminish the importance of wearing a helmet, it's just that my helmet doesn't afford my teeth or my back or my knees any protection. The thing to keep in mind though, is the signifcant difference between a broken head and broken teeth or limbs.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Morgan wrote:
    It's habit I suppose. I've been regularly riding to school and then work for 18-20 years or so. The only head protection back then would have been a leather hair net, which were strictly for racers. Bike helmets have become more common in recent years but I'm just very used to going without.
    This doesn't add up - the same would apply to your MTBing and road biking - Why wear a helmet for those activities, but not for commuting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I used to have a funny double standard, helmet if I was wearing lycra, otherwise I went without

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

i and my brother wear helmets simple reason , my brother works with people who have had bad accidents , and one of them was a guy not cycling with a helmet again person walked out he crashed and now he is learning to do the basic skills again , so i wear a helmet , working with that person scared my brother major as he never wore a helmet before and comutes every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Right this thread has scared me a little. Commuting for a couple of years now and never with a helmet. Recommend me one plz,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Cycling 35 years.

Had a really serious crash in 1984. High speed down hill crash into a large dog. Not wearing any helmet.

Head completely undamaged in the fall, but everthing else broken, damaged or torn. Haunted.

In the A&E I was alongside a man who had fallen off a roof fixing an aerial and FELL ON HIS HEAD. Short fall off a low roof.

The consultant was quite agitated. Young man in high speed crash - Fine: older man with family, simple fall - his life would never be the same.

Since this I have worn a helmet. Who knows it might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

I´m a bit like Tails142. I wear it when offroad but never when commuting or touring. I guess I find it too uncomfortable when not in the bike, which is most of the time when I´m using it as a way of transport.

I know it´s not the most clever and safe way to do it, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

The subject of helmets is hotly debated by international cycling and medical experts. I don't subscribe to the view that a helmet is at all beneficial to cyclists.

First of all, look at the testing requirements for helments, Europe has its EN 1078 standard, the states have CPSC and there is also the largely ignored Snell. Any helmet sold in europe must conform to en1078. Snell standards are rated as being the hardest to pass while the european ones are easiest. There are almost no snell rated helmets sold in europe.

All of these tests are based on weighting the helmet and dropping it from a height of 2-3 metres. In other words, the helmet will only be of use to you if you fall off your bike while stationary!! There is no way that the current plastic and polystyrene helmet can help you in any serious collision.

Another issue with helmets is that they're designed to work with linear forces - ie. head on impacts etc. If the impact force causes your head or neck to twist, the helmet will act to increase this force. A helmet will not protect your neck from this type of impact. Also, your helmeted head is larger making it more likely that it could snag on an object causing your head and neck to twist e.g. the path.

Lastly, the reports that "a helmet saved my life" are fallacious - you couldn't know that for sure as you didn't have the same experience without the helmet! Medical opinion seems to be that the helmet is useful to prevent road rash - scrapes etc. but not for any impact which would cause brain injury. BTW a soft hat would provide the same road rash prevention.

Having said all that, most of the literature I've reviewed has been arguing about statistics - in countries where helmets are mandatory, have head injuries reduced etc. I'm most interested in the personal view ie. if I thought that a helmet might, in any circumstances, prevent serious head injury then I'd wear one. So far, I've seen nothing to suggest this. Some resources for you to decide yourself :-

A Pro Helmet site

A very contrarian view

A nice balanced summary of the state of play

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only had one major accident trying a bike out from a shop !!!! guard was down wasn't concentrating fell off smacked head broke little finger. got to hospital and had a head x-ray and 5 stitches and had a cracked bone vertically down my eyesocket. the only time in 20 years i've not worn a helmet but now ive got bad sinuses and headaches wouldn't get on a bike without a helmet no matter what the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

About four years ago, a computer programmer I worked with got hit by a car and came off his bike, hitting his head off the road. He ended up in a coma for about 6 weeks. Upon returning to work, he was like a different person - a slower, less witty person who had trouble concentrating on his work. After a year or so, he was given a redundancy package and delicately asked to leave.

I wear a helmet all the time now.

Just trying to see how people are with the topic of wearing helmets for commuting.

Do you wear a helmet when cycling? If so, did anything in particular spark you into wearing it? Or have you just always done so.

I have been commuting by bike since july, and until this week have never worn a helmet. I was confident in my abilities to avoid an accident, and was arrogant/cocky enough to believe I'd never be hurt.

Anyway, on Tuesday I was cycling home when some pedestrian stepped off the path directly in front of me, we collided at about 25mph, and i was thrown over the handlebars. I landed on my back and other than a few cuts and general stiffness, I'm fine.

But I decided that this was my wake up call, and decided to invest in a helmet. So I bought a good, Met helmet today. It looks okay, for a helmet, is comfortable, and was well sold by the reliable bike shop salesman.

So what about you? Do you wear a helmet when commuting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

aldark wrote:
    The subject of helmets is hotly debated by international cycling and medical experts. I don't subscribe to the view that a helmet is at all beneficial to cyclists.
    Hermy wrote:
    Banged my head against a wall as a kid on a bmx.

This attitude to the wearing of helmets has been aired at length in the past on the Wicklow 200 forum and I just don't understand the logic behind it. If I had been wearing a helmet when I hit my head against a wall all those years ago I wouldn't have been the bloody mess that my neighbour found outside her garden. And I dare say Chris Boardman isn't sorry he was wearing a helmet when he was introduced to a dry stone wall as the Tour made it's way to Cork in 1998. Fine if you don't like wearing a helmet, that's up to you, but I remain unconvinced that wearing a helmet is not beneficial!

Although a cousin of mine did have his collar bone broken while out walking many years ago by a careless helmet wearing friend of his so maybe there are some inherent dangers that have yet to be discussed...:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

RasTa wrote:
    Right this thread has scared me a little. Commuting for a couple of years now and never with a helmet. Recommend me one plz,

Yea I'm beginning to feel the same way now after reading this thread. I've had few accidents over the years but none that would of made a difference if I had been wearing a helmet. Don't want to push my luck anymore. So anyone got any recommendations for helmets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I wear a helmet all the time now.
    I don't wear a helmet in conditions that I judge to be low-risk.

So anyone got any recommendations for helmets?
    Visit a local bicycle shop and describe your needs.
    I have an almost 4 year old Met Stradivarius II. I wanted something with lots of ventilation. Previously I've had Specialized and Giro helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I don't wear a helmet in conditions that I judge to be low-risk.

Just because it's bright and dry doesn't mean you won't have an accident. You have to judge for other peoples error also.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

daymobrew wrote:
    Visit a local bicycle shop and describe your needs.
    I have an almost 4 year old Met Stradivarius II. I wanted something with lots of ventilation. Previously I've had Specialized and Giro helmets.

i have this met one too, pretty comfy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Just because it's bright and dry doesn't mean you won't have an accident. You have to judge for other peoples error also.
    Do you wear one while walking? If not, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Do you wear one while walking? If not, why not?

1. Because I don't walk on a road.
    2. Because pedestrians dont weigh over 2 tonnes and travel at speeds of over 50kmph
    3. Automobiles generally don't drive on footpaths.

Putting on a helmet should be as natural as putting on a seatbelt, it may be annoying but might save your life some time

Advertisement