Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The love album (beatles)

Options
  • 09-02-2007 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Really do love this album , but i wondered why has there been no singles released from it.

Anyone know?

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

They were already released as singles in the 1960s. They're really draining the cash cow that is the Beatles at this stage. Harrison said that if anything was released after the Anthology series it'd have to be called scraping the barrel.

Some of the stuff on the love album is quite good, 'Drive My Car/The Word/What You're Doing', the end of 'Strawberry Fields' by linking in with other songs. I don't see the big fuss that's been made of 'Within you Without you' merged with 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. Big deal - they're both from the same period, it's hardly that creative taking two songs from the same time and mashing them together. It would have been more interesting to mix something from different era's on the Beatles careers, say a track of an early album with one of the later ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's not very good. I was hoping for a real OTT "bastard pop" mashup but it's a very bland tame affair from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

The real point of this album is that it has shown up the need for a complete remastering of the Beatles recordings.

The first remasters in the late 80s didn't really cut it. If you listen to the Love album on a good stereo or through good headphones (listening to it through the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pros is a revelation) then you'll see what I mean.

Ringo Starrs drumming, and I never thought I'd say this, sounds immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Scottish wrote:
    The real point of this album is that it has shown up the need for a complete remastering of the Beatles recordings.

The first remasters in the late 80s didn't really cut it. If you listen to the Love album on a good stereo or through good headphones (listening to it through the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pros is a revelation) then you'll see what I mean.

Ringo Starrs drumming, and I never thought I'd say this, sounds immense.

i was wondering about that...you have the DVD versino of the Love Album...is it worth listening to on 5:1...i mean, i bought the 2disc version even though i don't possess a sound system to play it on, solely on the basis that i probably *will* own such a sytem at some stage.

Is this album a good reason for me to accelerate the process?

re the re-mastering of the albums...you might have a point; thing is that stuff recorded on primitive 60's 4 track can't be polished up that much, can it. I'm not knocking the notion, and you know, expanded sleeve notes and stuff would be something I'm all one for, but there's a certain charm in hearing the stuff sounding a bit rickety...

as for Ringoes drumming...don't ever diss his drumming. It was always good; the jokes about him being crap drummer were always ill-founded. The fills on Strawberry fields, Day in the Life, I am the Walrus etc are a masterclass in what I call 'sloppy drumming'...it sounded like he was going to lose the beat, and he never never never did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I cant give a verdict yet cas Gracehopper was supposed to give it to me but he didnt. Feckin cornflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Trilla wrote:
    I cant give a verdict yet cas Gracehopper was supposed to give it to me but he didnt. Feckin cornflakes.

yeh relax the cax, i'lll copy it for ye.
    I think the most memorable parts are when "Get Back" kicks in out of nowhere at the start and "within you and without you" over "tomorrow never knows" music. I like what they've done with some with the sun king backwards , works really well, so easy to do aswell. Some of the songs actually sound newer aswell i think. It also shows how good the original martin recordings actually were.

Advertisement