Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C-Section???

Options
  • 10-02-2007 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys

My wife had a scan done the other day for E.F.W and at the moment babog is weighing in at 8Lbs....and she is 36 weeks pregnant. She had a G.T.T done to rule out Gestational Diabetes...so babog is just a big healthy baby.

Thing isthe consultant is telling us that we should prep ourselves for a section since she'd rather not us risk a distressing V.B. Im all for it...as long as its best for my wife and our baby...but my mother in law has told me that women who have sections tend to be out of action for quiet a while and that recovery can sometimes take a long time.

If there are any women out there with experiance of section delveries Id most welcome any comments or thier views.

Thanks a mill guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I had a caesarean cos my daughter was breech. She was in that position for at least the last three months of the pregnancy and I had been told she'd be born on a particular date (by planned caesarean), but in the end she decided to come earlier and it ended up being an emergency caeserean. I would have been discharged after 5 days (that's the normal) but was in longer cos the little one couldn't be discharged.

It is major surgery and she will be sore for a while alright. I got home after 8 days and to be honest I felt fine. Reaching up to get plates off the top shelf in kitchen press was a bit sore (but only for a day or two) and getting in and out of bed was a pain. By and large though I was grand. She'll be walking around by the day after the section (the midwives will insist on that so she doesn't get clots). In the hospital the first few days I found it so sore to get in and out of the bed that I just got up in the morning and stayed up. Sitting was fine and breast feeding was fine, no problems with pain which I kind of expected.

Changing the baby at table height is best so you're not getting up and down and picking baby up from the floor. By three weeks max she'll be able to carry the baby on her front in a baby harness - I did. To be honest I felt absolutely grand after a month and the not being insured to drive for six weeks really bugged me. I felt like that was holding me back from going more places.

If the expert is recommending a caesarean then I suppose their advice should be listened to but they are being done very frequently as "elective" (as in not required because the baby is in breech position or has some problem). Certain Dublin hospitals have been criticised for this in the last few years. I know that in the 8 days I was in a semi-private room almost all of the women had had an intervention of some kind. I was the only woman I met in the hospital who had actually needed to have a caesarean, the rest had all elected for it, not all on doctors advice. On th other hand the women who had had an episiotomy (I think that's what it's called - where the doc makes an incision to increase the size of the opening), looked to be feeling sorer. They had a couple of stiches between their vagina and anus and looked very uncomfortable sitting down but they were all discharged in two days so it's obviously not that major a thing.

There are plenty of big babies born naturally every day with no problems. A friend had a 9 lb 13 oz boy naturally a fortnight ago.

I read recently in a newspaper that babies born with the use of an epidural can have difficulty breast feeding, are reluctant to do it and do not have a strong suck. In hindsight I think that it definitely happened with my daughter (we only lasted 5 weeks of breast-feeding) and it used to take forever and she wasn't gaining weight as she should so paediatrician said to give her bottles as well. She had no problem with the bottles and seemed to prefer them instantly. My caesarean was done using an epidural and I was awake for it. That's how most are done.

Even though I knew for months that I would be having a caesarean I hadn't read up on it when it happened. I was more scared of the idea of the operation than I was by the thought of a natural birth. I suppose because women have been giving birth naturally since time began. I had read about everything else to do with pregnancy and childbirth and had decided I'd read up on the casearean in the last week but she came early. It was a bit unnerving not to really know what was happening exactly (I like to know and to feel in control usually) but the staff were all very calm and that kept me fairly calm. I would definitely advise reading up on it though! Your wife will be in the recovery room for an hour after the operation before being brought up to the ward to meet you and the baby. You'll be asked to get the baby clothes out during this time and dress the baby so make sure you know what's in the bag and have at least a vague idea what each item is and where it goes! :D The nurses will help though!

Hope all goes well for you both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I've 3 kids, 3 differrent types of bith
    DS1 - high intervention, epidural, episiotomy,forceps,ventouse 8lbs 7oz
    DS2 - no pain relief, no epidural, no episiotomy 8lbs 9oz
    DD3 - C-section, 9lbs 7oz

After going through all three types - would def recommend trying to deliver baby rather than c-section (provided no medical reason for c-section), of all 3 births DS2 was most painful but quickest to recover from. Found that with c-section it was def more difficult to breastfeed (more uncomfortable, you are tired and more sore, plus staffing levels in hospitals not conducive to nurses helping you) - I was home from hospital after 5 days from c section, still sore enough, but manageable. Found it very difficult not being able to drive (didn't drive until over 5 weeks - wasn't ready to till then)

Big picture is that a healthy baby is the end goal and whatever way that happens all will be fine. Best of luck

AD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My wife has had two sections. Both babies were delivered in perfect health. The reason she needed sections is that the babies would not engage.

In both cases she was back to relative normality after three weeks, driving included. After the first section she was sick for a day or two due to the anesthetic, but the second time this only lasted a few hours.

Once junior is born she will quickly forget the discomfort of the section as all attention will be focused on the baby's well being.

Best of luck. Don't forget to post and let us know how you get on.

Check that you are insured to drive before you take to the roads. You're normally not insured for 6 full weeks after a c-section. Ring and check with your insurer first or else you're breaking the law as well as being very irresponsible. What if you had an accident?

dame wrote:
    Check that you are insured to drive before you take to the roads. You're normally not insured for 6 full weeks after a c-section. Ring and check with your insurer first or else you're breaking the law as well as being very irresponsible. What if you had an accident?
    DAME

This is an interesting area - I rang my insurer after my c- section and they told me that there is no hard and fast date - if your dr signs you off as medically fit you can drive then, be it 3 weeks or 6 weeks.

• Advertisement

You still need to check it out though and ensure that your insurer is willing to cover you. I don't know of any doctor that has ever signed a woman off as being fit to drive at three weeks after a c-section. You said yourself, ArthurDent, that you weren't ready until after five weeks. In my case I would have liked to be driving after 4 1/2 weeks but I wasn't insured and hadn't had my check-up with the surgeon yet at that stage. Did your wife's doctor sign her off at three weeks crosstownk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

dame wrote:
    I read recently in a newspaper that babies born with the use of an epidural can have difficulty breast feeding, are reluctant to do it and do not have a strong suck. In hindsight I think that it definitely happened with my daughter (we only lasted 5 weeks of breast-feeding) and it used to take forever and she wasn't gaining weight as she should so paediatrician said to give her bottles as well. She had no problem with the bottles and seemed to prefer them instantly. My caesarean was done using an epidural and I was awake for it. That's how most are done.

I had an epidural with both mine but with a V.B. and they had no problems latching on and being breastfed, There are issues that with a c -Section the tha mother's body can take longer to adjust to the fact she is no longer pregant and that can delay the onset of full milk.

A c-section is pretty invasive but the techinques have gotten a lot better over the years, a Mam will certain take a lot longer to recover and more help afterwards if she has a c section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I've just been reading up on similar as having found out i am pregnant, i am wondering if i will require a c section as my first son was born by emergency section for foetal distress - i just wouldnt go beyond 2 cms.

Anyway back on topic - i was in hospital for 4 days after mine. The reason they let me out is because i cried to go home. I didnt feel the baby was mine in a crowded room with lots of others around i couldnt start a normal life with my new baby til i got home.

They removed my stitches after 4 days and discharged me. I did however get an infection in my womb so recovery for me took weeks. Dunno if its anything to do with having stitches removed early.

My son was 8 lb 3oz, very healthy, but tbh the emergency was a disaster. The midwife panicked and i just thought we were going to die.

The only advice i have is - try not to let it get it to emergency stage. Best to prebook it if thats what they recommend. The emergency is scary when you have not prepared yourself for it and i was awake the whole time. They were great in the operating room but i still didnt know what was happening even though they talked me through it. i was too out of it to focus.

The scar is tiny and right above the pubic bone. Its hard to believe they got a baby out of there!! For months after i had doctors and nurses admiring my 'wound' as they called it! :rolleyes:

Best of luck anyway i am sure everything will be fine one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

A friend of mine was able to drive after 4 weeks but once her doctor had signed that she was fit to drive her insurance company didn't have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dame wrote:

My wife checked with both her insurer and her doctor. The doctor could she no reason why she couldn't drive, nor could my wife for that matter. This was the case follwing both C-sections.

I was planning on the 6 week rule and sent her car in for major engine work - it back fired as the doctor said she was fit to drive and ended up having to rent a car for her as repairs wern't complete on her own:mad:

Some insurance companies have a hard and fast 6 week rule - others don't. Check with the insurance company first and then contact your doctor if necessary.

• Advertisement

Trinity1 wrote:
    They removed my stitches after 4 days and discharged me.

They use stitches that dissolve now so they don't need to be removed. That's what they used on me and I only had to go back for a quick check-up after five weeks and that was it.

Hope it goes better for you this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Our first baby (9 lbs 10 oz) was born naturally one week late and my wife is quite small, so it was a rather long delivery involving epidural, episiotomy, and finally ventouse. Surprisingly it just took my wife 1/2 hour to start talking about having a second child. Four days after delivery we went to a quiet restaurant for pasta while the baby was sleeping beside us, a lovely evening (I miss those :rolleyes: )

Second child (9lbs 8 oz, one week early) had to be delivered by section because my wife's back was injured. It worked very well and the baby didn't have the "ET look" naturally delivered babies have :) . Recovery took much longer - 6-8 weeks, but we thought it was well worth it because of the risks to my wife's health. With plenty support from you and close relatives the recovery time will fly by.

There is no definite answer about the best thing to go in my view, but I think it is important you make sure the consultant is giving an unbiased opinion. They do make more money out of sections as far as I know, so in some cases this could take impartiality away. In such cases, there is no harm in getting a second opinion just for peace of mind.

If it would be of any help and your wife would like to ask questions to my wife, just let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's also worth remembering that the estimated weight from the scan can be wrong.
    My first baby was one pound lighter when she was born than the estimate from the scan the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

dame wrote:
    I got a letter from my consultant saying I was medically fit to drive 2 weeks after my c-section, which I had to post to my insurers. I was covered then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Thaedydal wrote:
    I had an epidural with both mine but with a V.B. and they had no problems latching on and being breastfed, There are issues that with a c -Section the tha mother's body can take longer to adjust to the fact she is no longer pregant and that can delay the onset of full milk.

A c-section is pretty invasive but the techinques have gotten a lot better over the years, a Mam will certain take a lot longer to recover and more help afterwards if she has a c section.
    I've had 3 c-sections, I had no problem breastfeeding and didn't suffer that much pain as I was being given difene suppositories, then ordinary panadol. After 6 days, I no longer needed painkillers. Now and again I get itchiness at the operation site, but otherwise no effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My sister had 2 babies by VB and both were over 9lbs. She's about 8.5 stone. I don't know why they assume women can't deliver big babies. Go in with an open mind. Recovery time is different for every woman, some take a few days, some take weeks. Try to arrange to have help for your wife when she gets home regardless of what type of birth she has.

About the breast feeding I didn't have a epidural and had incredible trouble feeding my 2. I was in and out to the feeding clinic and we were all flummoxed as to why it wasn't working. I just don't have the right knockers:D

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I personally feel after having two babies, first 8lb 8oz, second 9lb13.5oz, that if I do decide to have a 3rd I'ld look for a section.

Both were a VB, epidurial, episotimy, long labours etc, recovery about 2 weeks but very sore. My biggest problem was how 'loose' & 'week' my 'tuppence' felt after it, even up to a year later. I had to get physio in the end which helped, & no my husband didn't ever mention anything, it's just me, that's how I feel about it. Personally I don't think it is natural to be expected to birth such big babies, I have a friend who put out her hip giving birth to her son who was 10lb+ & to this day, 17 yrs later she still suffers with her hip & her bladder, big time.

As someone stated, recovery time is different for every women, but a sensible & positive attitude towards it does help. As does all the help, support & attention that you can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey Guys...

Thanks all so much for the relevent info...Iv taken alot of time to read through it all.

My wife and I reckon along with advice from the Obstetrician (which Im pretty sure was impartial) to run with a section.

I was most concerned with the health and wellbeing of my wife and inflicting as little distress as possible to babog....and since the baby will probably reach nearly 10 lbs by week 40 the chances of complications through a V.B were too high.

The Consultant told us that if thats the way we felt a section was the most benificail to mum and baby.

We have another scan next week for an E.F.W and following a consultation a date will be booked in for the section the week after.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mir

hi
    wveryone's experience of a c section will be soo different as you can see.
    i have two kids one natural and the second by section. i think it helps if you know well in advance if the section is going to happen and if you have plenty o fhelp lined up for afterwards.

i had two days notice and physcologically found it very dificult to come to terms too, i am very much in favour of a vaginal birth where possible as the mother recovers much quicker.

it was discharged from hospital after three days which i think was much too soon as i had a child of 12 months at home also and a husband whi was not very supportive at that time.

the mother can do very little if they follow all the advice they are given, i would recommed that this is adhered to as i didn't. within 6months i had to attend a physiotherapist to 8 months on a weekly basis, bringing the baby with me because i was breastfeeding!! not the easiest to do, i still have on going back pain, but put a lot of it down to having to getback to normal after leaving hospital.

my sister in law has had 2 c sections and only suffered slight nuerological problems for approx weeks which was caused by the epidueral .

if your wife does have to have it give her plenty of support, or try to enlist people where possible, be prepared for her experiencing disappoint at not being able to deliver the baby normally as this is also quick common, but whichever way the baby arrives please God everyone will be healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My son was born by emergency section at 34wks & my obs recommended a section for No2, I held off & went to term but my daughter was born by emergency section after various complications the obs had duly warned me about - but I wanted to try for a vaginal delivery despite knowing the risks.

Sections are very painful for the first few wks, that is true & your wife will require more help than usual (I will never forget the first time I had to sit up after my first section - it was excruciating!). Then there is the flip side...my cousin had a very big baby & still suffers the consequences years after my section has become a vague scar & a distant memory...so altho a vaginal delivery tends to mean a faster recovery, this may not be the case if a large baby causes any complications (which, of course, it may not).

There are risks either way & I think as long as yourself & your wife (and your obs) are happy & have come to terms with the decision then all that matters is babs arrives safe & sound & both babs & Mum are healthy in the long run. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Hey guys

Thought Id post an update...we had another scan there last week and babog weighed in at 8LB 6 Oz at 38 weeks....it seems to have slowed down in the weight gain area....so as far as the consultant was concerned its changed things a bit...shes now happy for my wife to be induced tomorrow at week 39 + 5 days.

It all kicks off at 8 am...but if bog still hasnt made an appearance by 8pm the consultant will section my wife.

I really do have to commend the staff at the Rotunda and our consultant...the care we have recieved has been absolutly fantastic. Its been a difficult pregnancy for my wife..although the baby has been fine throughout...she suffered whats known as random ectopic heartbeats...which are harmless..but do feel quite frightening,an odd Thyroid result and needed to spend the day in the endocrine clinic to be told she was fine...needed to spend 4 hours in the clinic getting a G.T.T done lots of things like this this...but its all at the end now.

Ill post back tomorrow night if I can to let all know the outcome.

cheers guys

Best of luck for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Best of luck to the both of you. I'll be thinking of ye today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Best wishes to the growing clan!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Interesting tread... only coming in on it today. Will now watch this space.

I remember almost eight years ago when I has having my last I was scanned at 38 weeks and the doctor said if the results showed a big baby they would section me. As you can imagine at that stage i was kinda hoping they would do it!! But when I quized the doc as to what counted as a big enough baby to merit the section she told me - 12-13 lb!!

So it was a VB for me three weeks later ... and baby was only 10.3. No stitches, no cutting. And I am five two. (brag alert!!)....

Best of luck OP ... I am sure it will all go great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Thinking of you Keiser1, Mrs K & babog!

hey guys...thanks so much for the good wishes

Anyway..Im back home now by myself...but with a little boy left with his mammy in the hospital and both in good health!!!

A truely once in a lifetime experiance!!

My wife was induced this morning at 10am with the prostoglandin gel which kinda got the ball rolling then had waters broken at 7pm.Got kinda tough for her then...lots of pain, waiting for space in the delivery suite.At this point I do have to add that it really is a mans world...I cant even begin to imagine what my wife must have been feeling.....but anyway...got in to delivery suite at 11.30pm,and had the epidural and things just went textbook till about 3am when babog started to get a tad distressed..and the senior registrar inthe Rotunda decided that Mrs k was ready to deliver right then.and after about 6 pushes out came this beautiful baby boy...8 LB 2Oz.

So there was no section for my wife in the end....
    After it was all done she was truely relived she didnt need the section

Anyway thanks a million guys once again for the good wishes...its off to bed for me...Im shattered!!:D :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Congrats Kaiser and welcome to baby K! And well done to Mrs Kaiser for that marathon labour! Mine were both quick and I bow in reverence to any woman who goes through that.

Now sleep... as much as you possibly can for the next couple of days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Welcome to the world baby K. Many congrats to you and the missus.
    How brilliant for you all :D

Advertisement