Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Waxing?

• 10-02-2007 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello-

I think my back and shoulders have gotten to a stage where i might get them waxed. They are quite hairy indeed, and i am self conscious about it.

Just wondering what others think of hairy backs and men who get them waxed. Should i be self conscious?

I dont like the idea of going and getting it done. i'd feel very metrosexual, which isn't me at all.

So what do you think?

Do you get your back waxed? If so where? Prices?

Ladies - Do you find a hairy back to be a turn off?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I've never particularly loved having an apeman back either, but I'll be fcuked if I'm paying someone to strip me of it AND potentiallly hurt me in the process! However, if it makes you happier, then just do it. I'd be surprised if there's any great difference in prices from salon to salon (many, if not most, deal with both men and women these days)

I'm told that women quite like hairfree men these days anyway (whatever floats your boat, girls).
    Waxyman wrote:
    Hello-

I think my back and shoulders have gotten to a stage where i might get them waxed. They are quite hairy indeed, and i am self conscious about it.

Just wondering what others think of hairy backs and men who get them waxed. Should i be self conscious?

I dont like the idea of going and getting it done. i'd feel very metrosexual, which isn't me at all.

So what do you think?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

You're letting vacuous magazines dictate how you look. Just be yourself mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It is very much a personal thing. I love a little bit of hair on a man but not excessivly so. Having said that, it is pretty low on the list of priorities.

If you do decide you want to get it waxed and you're based in Dublin, Brazilia (www.brazilia.ie) is great. One of the therapists (waxperts!) in there was recently telling me that about 20% of their clients are now men so there is no need to be worried about being the only man in there. As for the pain, it's not that bad. If a wimp like me can get a hollywood most men should be able to get thier backs done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have my back and shoulders waxed about every two months. It's not hugely painful - pop a couple of panadol before you go in!

Ring and ask how much first. My local Beauty Salon only charges €18! Some of the places that advertise specifically for me are well pricey - that Brasilia place is €30-55!! Rip off (ha ha)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pop a couple of panadol before you go in!
    Please read instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Waxyman wrote:
    shoulders have gotten to a stage where i might get them waxed. They are quite hairy indeed, and i am self conscious about it.

I always think if you are self conscious about something and have the ability to change it, consequently giving you a boost in confidence, then go for it.

I find hairy men very sexy to be honest, don't like men with the plucked chicken look :confused: . Still, if you are self conscious go for it, but leave everything else alone! Nice to see men who look like men.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭dvega

More and More men are waxing their backs,chests even legs,theres nothing wrong with it if it makes you feel more comfortable,by all means go out and do it.You should get a wax for about 20 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Really should be in here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=464

Buy some Veet (5 euro) and read the instruction carefully, get a mate to apply it for you and to take it off after the required time (5 mins approx). The time it will last will depend on strength of hair growth, I normally get 4 weeks out of one waxing and one back out of a tube of Veet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

my bro has a hairy back and he's self concious about it. every now and again he buys some stuff in boots for a fiver and i wax it for him. it takes all of 10 minutes. i couldn't care less about doing it, i've a girlfriend, i'm not gay, it's just a favor i do in exchange for a pint every now and again.

If you've a brother/sister. do the same. it does hurt him. that's prob what makes it less weird. i get to inflict pain on him.

do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Waxyman wrote:

Not really, I've done it - ape-back isn't really my look either!
    So what do you think?

When I was in Dublin I got mine done in Westwood, Clontarf, it cost €35 I think. It was worth it, went down well and feels a lot nicer to have clothes brusing against it - like a well-cleaned plate.

It doesn't hurt at either - I was kinda expecting it too after hearing people moan about it but its not sore at all! If you feel its worth the money, go for it. Even when it does grow back, it will be much thinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

You're letting vacuous magazines dictate how you look. Just be yourself mate
    he IS being himself.. if he himself wants to wax his back because he himself feels self-consious about it then that is his own feelings so therefore he is being himself.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 acuv

Alternatively, if you dont want to go to a waxing salon, you can log on to amazon and but a body shaver. Same a electric shaver for your face except used on all parts of the body safely:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Ring and ask how much first. My local Beauty Salon only charges €18! Some of the places that advertise specifically for me are well pricey - that Brasilia place is €30-55!! Rip off (ha ha)

What you are paying for is for people who just wax as their profession and who use better quality products. In the world of beauty, sometimes you do really get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daiixi wrote:
    What you are paying for is for people who just wax as their profession and who use better quality products. In the world of beauty, sometimes you do really get what you pay for.
    Sometimes you are just paying rent and for inflated egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Victor wrote:
    HEY! Those egos cost you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Victor wrote:
    Personally I don't mind paying to have molton Brown cnadles burning in the background and a city centre location that means I can pop out at lunchtime rather than take time off work but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

in fairness for how long it works for and the pain i'd say just shave it with an open razor..

i got it done a few weeks ago and its growin back far too quickly.

and as well as that i'm emotionally scarred for life :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I got it done recently for the second time, dont have much but what I have I dont like. There's a good place in Crumlin, Dublin that is reasonably cheap and very good. Get it lobbed off if you dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JuiceC

Considering your options ....

Salon Waxing
    If you're thinking of doing this I can assure you it does hurt, a lot - I suggest watching The 40 year old virgin at this point!

BodyGroom
    Great 'below the neck' shaving device from Philips - Can also be used in the shower

Veet cream
    Cheap but can sting if you leave it on too long - Relativly effective and you will need assistance

M4men hair removal kit
    I bought this from 4men.ie for €30 and I'm still hairless after 2 months - Easy to use and grand for sensitive skin

The choice is yours ... Whichever you choose it's great to lose those shoulder locks!!

Advertisement