Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wg in Kingpin

Options
  • 10-02-2007 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Just thought it was great to see wg in the latest edition of kingpin europe.......! A couple of months back they had the few pages of Dublin skaters ,and that picture of Bruce tha ox with the aerlingus plane behind him....! All this is fantastic for irish skateboarding, but now we have Bushy and lucan it would be great to see photos and articles on these parks ,and the people that helped make them possible.......! ( These are the people that every skater in ireland owes massive respect to....!!!!!)
    It would also be good to highlight the other parks that are being built .

The message should be spread throughout europe that Irelands skaters are on the up, and parks are being built to support a new talent of young and fearless riders......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i agree, we have always had some top class skaters, but hopefully we will see more recognition now that we are finaly getting some public parks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

Irish skaters barely travel any more, which is why the people in Europe know very little about what's going on here. A week in Barcelona doesn't count. Take Conhuir Lynn as an example - he travelled all over the UK and Europe to contests and whatnot, got his name about, shot photos and footage and people knew who he was before long. There's only a handful of Irish skaters who really have travelled abroad skating and that's the likes of Bruce Kelliher, Jer Evans, Al Collins and Rich Gilligan.

If Irish skaters want the rest of the world to know about Ireland and what it's like, they need to travel to anywhere except Barcelona.
    expn wrote:
    All this is fantastic for irish skateboarding, but now we have Bushy and lucan it would be great to see photos and articles on these parks ,and the people that helped make them possible.......! ( These are the people that every skater in ireland owes massive respect to....!!!!!)
    It would also be good to highlight the other parks that are being built .
    It's not Kingpin's style to do a full article on skateparks in Ireland. They don't do it for anywhere else in Europe, so they're not going do the same for Ireland. There'll probably be a few nods and mentions in the news columns, but don't hold your breath on any articles about Irish skateparks. Having said that, I haven't seen the new issue yet and I could be easily proved wrong. Far more likely to get something like that done in Sidewalk, though it would be about the parks themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭JahEerie

I reckon Niall would be quite interested in an Oirish-angled piece
    - obvioulsy its all good exposure.
    Anyway, whether Irish skaters have travelled to skate (some have/some haven't) da fact that we have some actual PERMENANT spots is gonna make a massive difference. Ya can see da groms improvivin at Bushy (& other parks) on a WEEKLY basis.
    There's no disputin that street skatin is fun & produces rad skaters, but gettin kicked-out gets tired after a while.

The future looks bright...etc

JohnBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Leah-G1

I definately agree that more should be done to represent Ireland in skate mags.Conhuir did make it on Zero,not becasue he travelled around Europe but because he travelled to the US!!These companies are all mostly based out of Califorina,which is the hub of all things skateboarding.It doesnt help that they all think Irelands part of the UK,hence the teams never come here for demos etc..
    Word will get around about our skateparks,but only if there up to standard with the other ones around Europe (Rhino ramps are NOT helping this situation!)
    If you were editor of Kingpin,would you rather write about Malmo in Sweden or Bushy park.I definately know what I'd pick.The last article in Kingpin to do with Irish skating was amazing,I hope that they got good feedback on it so it will incourage them to look at the whole picture (not just street skating).

There also doing a article on G1 in the coming months which will be good aswell.They might mention the skateparks in that one...who knows.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

• Advertisement
Advertisement