Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to identify

Options
  • 10-02-2007 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

hya's,
    Well I saw this bird on a fence and didnt think much of it, thinking it was a thrush, then today I saw a thrush and realised that the picure I took wasnt a thrush at all. It's much larger and "fatter"/"fluffier", I know not a great technical term, its height was about 5 inches and thats going by the background as a reference, the pic isnt great but it was taken through a window with it snowing out.
    So any ideas what it is ? or is it just a variation on a thrush ?
    Thanks
    Muineach

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Looks like a mistle thrush to me... could be a redwing too; the pic is a bit blurred*

It looked fat cos it was puffing feathers to trap air to warm up...

*Res on my monitor is funny too....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

ya I'd say its a mistle thrush, you're pic would be better if it smaller as it would be clearer.

I've had one of these visit the garden frequently lately their markings are beaut and I love the way they hop around tossing leaves to one side to see if theres any nice treat lurking underneath.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

yea looks like it might be a mistle thrush, its definitely bigger than a normal "thrush", I've put up a few more pics to help, I had left my camera on manual focus as well grr
    Thanks
    Muineach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definately not a Mistle Thrush, my friend. The colouring is wrong and the head shape is not right.

The beak colour is right for a Redwing but I can't see the eye stripe too well to confirm this. I have ringed Thrushes for years and I'd go for an immature Redwing.

Advertisement