Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fears in the city?!

Options
  • 10-02-2007 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I am a visual artist working on a video piece about fear (specifically fear in the city). I need as many people as possible to tell me their fears about the city! All comments welcome!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redmimosa

any (big) city, but lets say Dublin to narrow it down a bit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm afraid of cities.

Once, when I was seven, one ate my pet iguana.

But I'm so addicted to them, I still live in one. The same one that ate Iggy. Every day I look for poor Iggy and I blame myself for living in a city.

Why, oh why didn't I live in a village?

Damn cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

redmimosa wrote:
    any (big) city, but lets say Dublin to narrow it down a bit:D

Ah Dublin... My main fear is the sheer overwhelming amount of skangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Theres nothing to be afraid of in Dublin, or any city for that matter.
    Surely enough you might have the misfortune of being mugged by a junkie, but that could happen almost anywhere and happens so infrequently (or to the same person at least) that its still nothing to "fear".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm mainly afraid that I'll fall into an uncovered manhole -- although this fear is not necessarily limited to the time I spend in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

junkies and running into that ugly bird from that night. You know the one!

karlh wrote:
    running into that ugly bird from that night. You know the one!

Oh yeah, thats never, ever a good thing to happen...worthy of fear tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The spire might fall on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Fear of the great unwashed ocean of people.

Fear of being just another nameless cog in the giant machine of urban life.

Fear of being thought of belonging to or being of the city.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Mine would be being attacked again. Got four eggs thrown at my eye from a speeding car last night in Blackrock.

dsc00135gi0.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dub fear? Not really fearful. But careful not to be in wrong place at the wrong time. You could say that about any large city. There are rules of the street. For example, girls don't walk home alone at night in Dub, if you're smart, especially if drunk from the pub or club. You're just asking for it! If not with a b/f, then use the buddy system to be safer.

Now South Central Los Angeles at night is a whole different story! LA fear is being smart. Serious gang problems, no matter your gender! Even in the car, when coming to a corner stop and turning at night, you do what is called a "California rolling stop," which means you really don't completely stop at a sign or red light. Of course, if there is a police car in sight, you don't do this, but you don't have to then either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

My fear of dublin city is that we will lose or identity when more chains of starbucks etc open up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

faceman wrote:
    My fear of dublin city is that we will lose or identity when more chains of starbucks etc open up

I agree. I hate to see so many "American" things in Dublin. And I am very afraid that Dublin will become too Americanized.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

travlers.

rip2roar wrote:
    Mine would be being attacked again. Got four eggs thrown at my eye from a speeding car last night in Blackrock.

dsc00135gi0.jpg
    Lol, afraid of another egging!?Actually, calling an egging an "attack"?! Come on now, thats a tad dramatic. Surely enough, by definition, it is an attack...but you seem to be comparing it to a beating.
    Dontrico wrote:
    travlers.

Ah, they're nothing to worry about. Sure they don't venture too far from the camp (except the ones in Tallaght, who go up to the Square to shoot pool and find themselves wives), just avoid the sites and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

rb_ie wrote:
    Lol, afraid of another egging!?Actually, calling an egging an "attack"?! Come on now, thats a tad dramatic. Surely enough, by definition, it is an attack...but you seem to be comparing it to a beating.

haha, and just how can someone hit you in the eye with 4 eggs? 1 or 2 I could understand, but 4? I think someone might be eggaggerating a bit.

Advertisement