Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Linux server

• 10-02-2007 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I have an old Dell 4400 PC (1.8 Pentium 4 with 512 Mb memory and 40 Gb HDD) which I want to set up as a Linux server. Currently I am running Ubuntu 6.10 desktop on it and it runs well for web browsing and Open Office tasks (much better than it did with Windows). I want to network it to two PCs running XP. The XP PCs are networked through a Linksys WRT54G wireless access point and router.

What distribution would be best for setting up this scenario as an educational test bed?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Ubuntu has a server version of their distribution which comes with an install option of setting up a LAMP server automatically, I've used this a couple of times myself. What do you want to use the server for e.g. Fileserver or Webserver. I've used the 6.10 Server version of Ubuntu as both and also an FTP server for the house I'm living in.

Check out www.howtoforge.com there's plenty of tutorials there on how to set up various distros as servers.

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I am a new user of Ubuntu but I did try Suse (I think it was version 6) a long time ago and gave it up as being too much hassle so please bear with me as I am trying to get back into Linux.

Can I run a windows fileserver on the desktop version of Ubuntu 6.10? Is it a matter of loading and configuring samba? I want to use my old Dell to hold JPEGs and use the XP machines for viewing and processing. Is this feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The new Suse has come on a lot so it might be worth trying again but if you want to stick with Ubuntu then yes you can run a fileserver using the desktop version of Ubuntu 6.10

Install and configure Samba and that should be all you need. Check out www.ubuntuguide.org there's a section there on installing and configuring.

sudo apt-get install samba is the command you need to get started.

Cheers

Thanks Rory for your help. I will give it a go.
    Dave

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Ubunutu server looks good. My first server ran Red Hat 9 and did a great job - try Fedora too. Gentoo is also great as you can install only what you want - but it might not be one to start with.

Personally I use FreeBSD myself on my server and have found it rock solid. Installer isn't as pretty as Anaconda (as used by Red Hat etc). Give it a go though sometime - performs well on old hardware. OpenBSD makes a beautifully clean and secure gateway but I wouldn't recommend it for a 'getting used to' approach.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice. I got samba running on my old dell PC and I am now using it as a fileserver. It seems to work very well. Years ago I used set up Novell servers and this was much easier to do.

Just for the experience I partitioned my windows PC and have loaded Suse 10.2 on it to get used to a different flavour of Linux. It looks great and it picked up my Epson printer and I was able to use it very quickly. This is much better than when I loaded up Suse 6? some years ago.

Advertisement