Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The legal system in Ireland is a joke.

Options
  • 10-02-2007 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I can't believe that a person who knocks down and kills 3 people while drink driving is given bail, especially when this person is a flight risk. He should have been put in custody right away.

3 men enjoying a night out will never see their families again, and in the end this scumbag will get away lightly, whats the maximum sentence he can get, 5 years. Was he even charged with drink driving, more than likely he was still driving while out on bail. We need stiffer charges like vehicular homicide that carry life sentences.

The scumbag admits to drinking 5-6 bottles of beer and 8-9 shots of vodka but his scumbag solictor has the balls to remark that the accused had suffered from epilepsy and had stopped taking his tablets, like if this was to blame.

Right before sentencing the judge revokes bail after protests by the Gardai, but hes been walking free the past year. THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0209/tamuleviciusm.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

DonJose wrote:
    THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE.

You can leave at your own chosen speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

maidhc wrote:
    If there were more of your kind I would.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If he has been 'free' for the last year then he isn't a likely flight risk now, is he?
    As for his solicitor, despite all solicitors being vermin, it is still their job to protect their clients.
    I making an likely assumption that you know nothing about this person, and not much more about the case.
    However, if you still feel strongly about it then you should contact you local politicians as its politicians who make the laws.

DonJose wrote:
    If there were more of your kind I would.

Going by the title of the post I don't doubt it. :)

kbannon wrote:
    I making an likely assumption that you know nothing about this person, and not much more about the case.
    However, if you still feel strongly about it then you should contact you local politicians as its politicians who make the laws.

Like most people, what I know about the case is what has been reported by the media. There have been other cases recently where non-nationals has been charged with dangerous driving causing death and have absconded. This person killed 3 people while under the influence of alcohol. Due to the severity of this crime, he should have been remanded in custody once charged.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    Like most people, what I know about the case is what has been reported by the media. There have been other cases recently where non-nationals has been charged with dangerous driving causing death and have absconded. This person killed 3 people while under the influence of alcohol. Due to the severity of this crime, he should have been remanded in custody once charged.

He was remanded on bail! He will get a long period in jail too for dangerous driving causing death (vehicular homicide!). I fail to see the issue.
    After garda objections to continuing bail, Judge Michael O'Shea remanded Tamulevicius in custody to appear before the court again on 17 April next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DonJose wrote:
    "THIS COUNTRY IS A JOKE" rant
    Calm down there angry man, there are avenues available to you if you wish to make your feelings known with the right people in the right positions.

According to you the guy is a scumbag, his solicitor is a scumbag and the system is a joke. Sounds like pointless ranting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

He should not have got bail. He knew drink driving was illegal and still drove a car. There is NO excuse. At the very least he should be charged with manslaughter. The Justice system here IS a joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The seriousness of the charge is not a ground for refusing bail. A person enjoys a presumption of innocence until the court having heard all of the evidence finds the accused guilty. How can the court lock up a person for doing something when the court does not know if they did it? the answer is that they can't. There are grounds for refusing bail such as that the accused might not turn up for trial, interfere with witnesses or is likely to commit further crimes while on bail. The court gave bail based on its evaluation of those factors.

grahamo wrote:
    He should not have got bail. He knew drink driving was illegal and still drove a car. There is NO excuse. At the very least he should be charged with manslaughter. The Justice system here IS a joke.

Practically everyone on bail who actually committed an offence had an inkling that what they were doing was illegal at the time of doing it. I'm not sure why he shouldn't get bail, he will still have to serve his sentence, and there are lots of reason from both his and the states point of view why bail should be granted.

The DPP isn't an altogether nice person (in his professional capacity), and will generally try and bring the most serious charge that will fly in court. If he brought a dangerous driving causing death charge rather than a manslaughter one he had his reasons.

The justice system in this country works pretty well, and contrary to public belief/media hype it is pretty strongly weighted in favour of the prosecution.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    The justice system in this country works pretty well, and contrary to public belief/media hype it is pretty strongly weighted in favour of the prosecution.

Yeah it works pretty well, especially for the following person, give me a break.

"The High Court has turned down an application to extradite an Irish man wanted in Hungary to serve a sentence for causing the death of two young children while driving."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0112/extradition.html

DonJose wrote:
    Yeah it works pretty well, especially for the following person, give me a break.

"The High Court has turned down an application to extradite an Irish man wanted in Hungary to serve a sentence for causing the death of two young children while driving."

??

We wouldn't need courts if all they did was rubber stamp the decisions of various police forces. We don't live in a police state, because you don't agree/don't understand the decisions really is not a reason to go ranting, it is enough for Indo journalists to do that,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

For people who get bail and are not from Ireland would usually have to surrender their passports to the Gardai and sign on at a station. This of course depends on the seriousness of the offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

maidhc wrote:

that will really fix the obvious problem highlighted by the OP.

your not a politician by any chance are you?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

maidhc wrote:

maidhc, that's a very typical irish response, clearly you have never lived in any other country and saw how things should work.

Example 1. A 17 year old can go out, get a provisional licence and do what ever they like in a car, speed, drink drive, dangerous driving ect.. and they can't be charged with anything, yep that's right! All that a garda can do is ask the local super to appoint a JLO, as the person isn't threated as an adult!!!!

Example 2. A person can go out and drink drive, if they are caught ( which in this country is a big if ), they will go to court in 6 - 12 months time, but untill then they are allowed drive every day, and do as much drink driving as they like... this is also a joke... the should go to court the following week and loose their licence! In canada the RCMP can suspend a drivers licence on the spot and take the car, this is what we need in ireland.

Example 3, I was driving on to the M50 one day, merging, when i noticed a people carrier stopped in the central revervation, and the lady driving it out, and letting her son go to the toilet on the grass... then then had to proceed and merge back into the fast lane from a stop. She should of had her licence and her people carrier taken off her on the spot... again in Canada if you done something so stupid that's what would happen.

maidhc are the above things acceptable??

maidhc, that's a very typical irish response, clearly you have never lived in any other country and saw how things should work.

I spend a summer in Washington DC, and have travelled to pretty much every country in the EU as well as Palenstine, Israel, Canada and random eastern european states I can't rememeber.

Nothing p1sses me off more than people saying "Ireland is a joke", "Ireland can't do this", "Our legal system is a joke", "this is crap that is crap and the other thing is crap".

Yes there are a few issues here and there, and we can argue the toss about 17year olds doing this or drink drivers doing that (btw a 17 yo can certainly be tried in the courts (even tried by jury if the DPP directs), and getting caught under the influence isn't a licence to drink and drive). Things on the whole are pretty well run in this country, and I have little patience for those who go on misinformed rants like Joe Duffy.

maidhc wrote:
    I spend a summer in Washington DC, and have travelled to pretty much every country in the EU as well as Palenstine, Israel, Canada and random eastern european states I can't rememeber.

Nothing p1sses me off more than people saying "Ireland is a joke", "Ireland can't do this", "Our legal system is a joke", "this is crap that is crap and the other thing is crap".

Yes there are a few issues here and there, and we can argue the toss about 17year olds doing this or drink drivers doing that (btw a 17 yo can certainly be tried in the courts (even tried by jury if the DPP directs), and getting caught under the influence isn't a licence to drink and drive). Things on the whole are pretty well run in this country, and I have little patience for those who go on misinformed rants like Joe Duffy.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Its something that really gets on my wick.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Well I've lived in England for 2.5 years now and I can tell you the system is no better here, nor is the driving! They do some things better but a whole lot worse.

I understand the OP's frustration. Drink driving should be punishable by means-tested fines, a driving ban and confiscation of the vehicle in every instance. It's unacceptable.

That said, in this particular case, there is nothing wrong with the man getting bail. See how the sentance turns out before going ballistic.

Advertisement