Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "D" Reg myth

Options
  • 10-02-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Is the "D" reg myth alive and kicking. I know of a few people from Dublin but living in Meath for the last number of years that purposly had their new cars regisitered at Dublin addresses so their cars would carry a "D" reg rather that an"MH" reg. Is it that big a deal??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

It is to some people; and it works both ways. A former workmate demanded that his company car be registered in his native county specifically so that it wouldn't have a D reg.

On a side note; for resale a D reg is probably the most neutral countrywide - might make a tiny difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

In Cork we always blow at D reg cars before everyone else. :)

If anything a D reg is less desirable in the forecourt as it means the car may have been bought secondhand in an auction house and is probably clocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

A car with the same reg as where you live is less obviously second-hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

maidhc wrote:
    If anything a D reg is less desirable in the forecourt as it means the car may have been bought secondhand in an auction house and is probably clocked.
    That's some logic - if it a D reg, it's probably clocked.:confused:

cast_iron wrote:

Well there is more security in buying a local car that was traded into the dealer from who you are buying and that was always serviced up the road. The same goes for any other reg really, but for obvious reasons the majority of the "non nationals" are D reg!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

maidhc wrote:
    but for obvious reasons the majority of the "non nationals" are D reg!
    How do you know tjey are non-nationals?
    As for security with a second hand car - if you think a car from one location is safer than another then you are kidding yourself and will sooner or later get burnt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I live in Dublin and I just bought a Dub reg car from Windsor in Cork. It was below the average price for this model and year because it had a 'D' reg in a Cork garage.

It was an 05 demo model with 5000miles. Windsor Rialto got in a few of these cars back in 05 and they were distributed around the country from there so they were all Dub reg. So thats your theory out the window.

Oh but of course the person may just have moved from Dublin down to the country and now wants to sell their 'D' reg car.

Works the same way around really. Grandons in Cork used to be the main distributers for Alfas in Ireland. If you bought from an Alfa garage in Dublin, Grandons may have your model in stock and you end up with a Cork reg.

I thought it would be worse with a country reg in Dublin since their would be more competing models when it goes to sale with the Dub reg being more desirable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

cast_iron wrote:
    LOL logic evades the above poster LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

maidhc wrote:
    but for obvious reasons the majority of the "non nationals" are D reg!
    LOL JAOTY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

bbability wrote:
    Is the "D" reg myth alive and kicking. I know of a few people from Dublin but living in Meath for the last number of years that purposly had their new cars regisitered at Dublin addresses so their cars would carry a "D" reg rather that an"MH" reg. Is it that big a deal??
    Well if your born and bred in a particular county and to some degree a GAA person as well, the county reg matters.

"D" Reg ........... Down with that sort of thing.

If I was buying an exotic or uber expensive motor though, I think a D reg would be best. County plates look out of place in the big smoke.

Dublin people tend to label "foreign cars" MH, WH, KE etc as the country cousins.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    How do you know tjey are non-nationals?
    As for security with a second hand car - if you think a car from one location is safer than another then you are kidding yourself and will sooner or later get burnt!

I mean non-national as in car, not person. That is to say a D reg car in Cork.

Of course where the car comes from is only one of many different issues, BUT, a trader with a yard of D reg (or any other reg really) cars does arouse suspicion.

It also tells the world you possibly bought the car secondhand, that matters to some people (albeit not me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are two sides to this myth:

1. D reg cars for sale outside the pale are usually worth a small bit less as potential buyers associate them with being stuck in traffic all day meaning harder than normal wear on parts such as clutch and brakes, etc. Not always the case though as alot of companies have Dublin addresses so their fleet cars are registered there but may spend most of the time up and down the country, never to see Dublin.

2. Non D reg cars for sale in the pale are usually worth less and harder to sell as locals have a common perception that they are were owned by country people who drive them on poor bog roads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My car has a Dublin reg despite it apparently being originally from Cavanagh's of Charleville (mud flaps, number plate holders and first few services were done there). I'm a bit disappointed because it makes it seem a bit impersonal and boring (too many cars have D reg's), and I would have prefered a more local reg, but I'm not particularly bothered and it didn't exactly stop me from buying the car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

maidhc wrote:
    In Cork we always bow at D reg cars before everyone else. :)

There's no need, honest. :p

Apropos of nothing, why do some counties have a two letter code and others have just one? Surely logic would dictate that each county has its own two letter code? :confused:

Dublin is already split into four administrative areas, Fingal, Dun Laoighre, South Dublin and Dublin City, so why haven't these got their own codes?

This is particularly pertinent when you have Dublin regs going into six figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It's generally cities that have one letter, and counties that have two, e.g. Limerick city is L and Co. Limerick is LK. Cork and Dublin seem to have the same for both city and county though, for reasons unknown.

Slow coach wrote:
    There's no need, honest. :p

Apropos of nothing, why do some counties have a two letter code and others have just one? Surely logic would dictate that each county has its own two letter code? :confused:

Blow, blow.... oh the shame. :)

I think the only reason we have L, LK and TS and TN is because of county council turf wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

DonJose wrote:
    JAOTY

WTF does that mean?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

bazz26 wrote:
    There are two sides to this myth:

1. D reg cars for sale outside the pale are usually worth a small bit less as potential buyers associate them with being stuck in traffic all day meaning harder than normal wear on parts such as clutch and brakes, etc. Not always the case though as alot of companies have Dublin addresses so their fleet cars are registered there but may spend most of the time up and down the country, never to see Dublin.

2. Non D reg cars for sale in the pale are usually worth less and harder to sell as locals have a common perception that they are were owned by country people who drive them on poor bog roads, etc.

not to be pedantic but there isn't two sides to the 'myth'. You have given two reasonable examples of why this isn't a myth at all, it's a market fact. it's true that some people (both buyers and sellers) prefer to have/not have a D reg and it affects a second hand cars value depending on where it is being sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jebus. We're discussing the letter on cars now. :rolleyes:

Times are desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    alot of companies have Dublin addresses so their fleet cars are registered there but may spend most of the time up and down the country, never to see Dublin
    There is also the misconception in rural Ireland that Dublin is only a city. There are many of us driving Dublin registered cars who reside in County Dublin and encounter traffic conditions similar to provincial Ireland.

I'm a bit disappointed ... .... I'm not particularly bothered
    Bit of a contradiction zilog :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

which would you rather 2 cars same year mileage etc, 1 a d reg the other a country reg perhaps Roscommon.. The RN car has a towbar the D one doesn't. The RN car could have more wear on it from a farmer or someone towing all day.

which would you rather 2 cars same year mileage etc, 1 a d reg the other a country reg perhaps Roscommon.. The RN car has a towbar the D one doesn't. The RN car could have more wear on it from a farmer or someone towing all day.

It is a lucky dip, isn't it. My grandfather always fits a hitch on his car, but has NEVER put on a trailer in 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Because Dublin has the highest number of cars doesnt mean that everyone in Dublin owns a car. The vast majority of garda cars and other state agencies cars are D reg. Sales reps whoses employers are based in Dublin but who themselves are based outside Dublin may have the car D registered. I once owned a new car that was registered in Dublin as the car was part of a large order that was cancelled. The cars were then offloaded at various dealers in the country so technically the car was new but registered in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Savman wrote:
    Jebus. We're discussing the letter on cars now. :rolleyes:

Times are desperate.

We are reading discussions on car numbers times are very desperate. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

can't remeber the last time my family had a D reg car...we've lived their all our lives :D

As has been said before, most top end marques are Dublin registered as it makes resale easier. I don't think I've ever seen a Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Rolls etc. without a Dublin reg. Although I have seen a few Bentleys and Astons on WW plates but that's kind of acceptable (playground of the rich etc.).

I occasionally see a yellow BMW M3 with Leitrim plates but I suspect the owner gave a Leitrim address to get the great reg XX L M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

In Galway if a Clamper was walking up the street and saw 5 cars illegally parked he is going to clamp the non Galway reg cars before the Galway ones if he doesn't have enough clamps. (I know a Clamper (not my friend))

The GAA Fan always wants a Reg from his/her own county.

I would buy a car registered in my own county because there is always a better chance of finding out the true history of the car. This is down to population.

If I ever buy a DB9; I might consider registering it in Dublin.

sgthighway wrote:

If I ever buy a DB9; I might consider registering it in Dublin.

I think there is an 06 D 69 in Cork... and it is an Aston

maidhc wrote:
    I think there is an 06 D 69 in Cork... and it is an Aston
    And here's a Wickla DB7 Vantage complete with Wicklow dirt. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

daveym wrote:
    not to be pedantic but there isn't two sides to the 'myth'. You have given two reasonable examples of why this isn't a myth at all, it's a market fact. it's true that some people (both buyers and sellers) prefer to have/not have a D reg and it affects a second hand cars value depending on where it is being sold.

i think its so sad, that ppl who moved from dub now living in Meath / Louth / Cavan when they buy a new car go and get it registered at mammys address or a relations address.............

if i was to buy a nice car like an S320, i would get it in my local reg. i wouldnt drive a D reg car even if i got it free.......

the common thought bout D reg cars:
    stuck in traffic, heating up, extra wear on clutch...and brakes.
    the D reg devalues cars imo..........................

Advertisement