Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "D" Reg myth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

what_car wrote:
    i wouldnt drive a D reg car even if i got it free.......
    I think you've got issues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lugnut

D reg is the business no matter what county you live in - It's kinda like a universal plate.... If you have a C reg car you're from Cork, if you have an L reg car you're from Limerick, if you have a D reg car you're Irish :D
    I'm from Cork so wouldn't like to drive anything but a C or D reg car.... I've found that certain reg plates down here are less desireable than others - try to sell a Corkman a KY or CE reg car and they'll need convincing and a serious discount ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lugnut wrote:
    D reg is the business no matter what county you live in - It's kinda like a universal plate.... If you have a C reg car you're from Cork, if you have an L reg car you're from Limerick, if you have a D reg car you're Irish :D
    This probably sounds ridiculous but I'll drive a D, C, L, LK, DL or WW but nothing else. I can't explain why!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

what_car wrote:

the common thought bout D reg cars:
    stuck in traffic, heating up, extra wear on clutch...and brakes.
    the D reg devalues cars imo..........................

but thats what I am saying, you wouln't drive a D reg.

Common thoughts about non D reg cars:
    farmers, bad roads, high mileage (due to commute to dublin!),
    not looked after, possibly used for towing, spend there life
    in fields, sheep in back seat etc etc.

not saying either set of opinions are valid, just that they are what
    they are and not 'myths'

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

maidhc wrote:
    I think there is an 06 D 69 in Cork... and it is an Aston

there is a 05 D89 driving around dublin too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

my last car was a D reg now ive a MO reg im not fussy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A local Lexus salesman told my mam when she was car shopping that they register the fleet in Dublin even though their HQ is in Clare because Limerick and Galway people have an intolerance for CE reg's in particular...myself....if it's D or W....steer clear...especially if it's manual and especially if it's a Punto....much higer probability some yank has the clutch almost burnt out

We get a lot of TN, L & LK (obviously) C and KY reg's in Limerick...but fewer CEs.....

I think IrishCarRentals register their cars in Limerick though....as HQ is here...so you have to be careful really....but if you're from the area, you know what cars not to buy from a particular dealer (i.e. It' will more than likely have been a hire-drive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

ninty9er wrote:
    if it's D or W....steer clear...

Why W? :confused:

dingding wrote:
    We are reading discussions on car numbers times are very desperate. :eek:

I am reading a critism of a discussion on car numbers.
    Times are desperate.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Funxy wrote:
    Why W? :confused:
    Bolands and their sister garages in Waterford, Wexford (so WX as well) are a very large supplier to the major car hire firms nationwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Sometimes a "bogger" reg can be an advantage, especially if the car isn't too old. I sometimes drives the wife's W reg car and have found that when I'm in the "wrong" lane I have a better chance of being allowed in than if I'm driving my D reg. Obviously a case of "ah look at the thick culchie - better let him in". On the M50 I can tear down the outside lane and make that last minute dash for the exit (JUST AROUND WHERE THE EXIT SIGN IS) and the blowing of horns is minimal. It also helps to have a wellie in the car, or a trilbee style hat, so you can wave it out the window as a thank you. :D

What confuses me most is those who will drive say d and c and dl and not w. Surley waterford CITY regged cars are a hell of alot less 'country' then donegal cars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I've had a few "W" reg cars which I would much prefer than a "D" reg or "C" reg. Wouln't be keen on "WD" though. I think "W" looks kind of foreign / european, at least this side of the country. It's also the nearest to my native "WH".

We've always had WD cars and more recently had W's. I preferre the cleaner look of a W reg but other then that it really doesn't matter. We did reg one car as a D reg for better resale value. But to be honest i wouldn't again because a. i doubt if it really will make much differance int he price it would sell for and b. any d reg cars around here are usually second hand or someone visiting. I think it's nicer on your own car to have the county your from, just a personal preferance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bbability wrote:
    I know of a few people from Dublin but living in Meath for the last number of years that purposly had their new cars regisitered at Dublin addresses so their cars would carry a "D" reg rather that an"MH" reg.
    In fairness to those people, they may be living in Meath/Louth/Wicklow/Kildare etc. because they have been outpriced for a house in their native Dublin and don't have any particular emotional attachment to the county they are living in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Looking at this thread, I don't think I've seen a Leitrim (LM) reg. in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

su_dios wrote:
    If you bought from an Alfa garage in Dublin, Grandons may have your model in stock and you end up with a Cork reg.

Not so. Revenue will only issue registrations based the address of the owner - irrespective of place of purchase. So, if you have a Dublin address, you get a Dublin no, whether bought in Cork or Kiltimagh.

OK, who wants to test the theory - all offers for the D-reg 320d in my Sig from Dublin, please add 1k.........delivery possible immediately !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

which would you rather 2 cars same year mileage etc, 1 a d reg the other a country reg perhaps Roscommon.. The RN car has a towbar the D one doesn't. The RN car could have more wear on it from a farmer or someone towing all day.

What condesending BS..........

For whatever reason, MO and RN cars are cheaper. Good for used car buyers. But to say that D is more likely to get you a better car is just BS. And, taking this thread as proof, if half of the D cars running around are Reps, or paranoid reg people...........who are pulling trailers around Roscommon and Kerry all day. Sounds like a case for D-reg cars to be avoided, I'd say, as you aren't getting 'what it says on the tin'...car. :D

Oh, btw, was a rep for Dublin Co and had two D-reg VW's..........good luck to whoever ends up with those, because they were nicely 'broken-in' ;) when I handed them back.

So, what's the story on KE reg's then...........are they all from stallion farms on the Curragh, and if so, please buy mine.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Re current number plate letters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Vehicle_Registration_Plates
    The 1987 scheme allocated single-letter codes to the county boroughs (including those shared with counties) and 2-letter codes to the others.
    are planning to add new codes for the administrative counties currently sharing codes. These are expected to be CK (County Cork), GY (County Galway), DR (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown), FL (Fingal), and SN (South Dublin) respectively.

An interesting idea would be to have Dublin Postal Code plates - much more fun with the stereotyping. And it would mean the scumbags would leave your car alone if parked next to a "D 4"

Re current number plate letters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Vehicle_Registration_Plates

An interesting idea would be to have Dublin Postal Code plates - much more fun with the stereotyping. And it would mean the scumbags would leave your car alone if parked next to a "D 4"

Why oh why do people refernce wikipedia.....that rumour was obviously posted on wikipedia by some D4 head who would pref if their car had D4 instead of D on it....what a pile of tripe....plus I don't think there's actually an explanation for the instigation of the counties with 2 plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

There was a large article about introducing new plate codes in the Sunday Independent on 25 May 2005. The Mayor of South Dublin Co Co and the heads of Fingal and Dun Laoghaire Co Co were calling on the govt to introduce the codes listed above by a previous poster.

If Tipp, Limerick and Waterford can have two codes each, I don't see why Dublin, Cork and Galway can't have more than one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

@ galwaytt not supposed to be condescending, just throwing it out there

Silvera wrote:
    If Tipp, Limerick and Waterford can have two codes each, I don't see why Dublin, Cork and Galway can't have more than one?!

Wiki says ARE planning, but they are TALKING,

There is no necessity for 2 plates in Limerick Waterford or Tipp, Dublin however could be filtered so that Dub1-24 get "D" and the rest gets DK to stop the phone number plates towards the middle of the year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ninty9er wrote:
    Why oh why do people refernce wikipedia.....that rumour was obviously posted on wikipedia by some D4 head who would pref if their car had D4 instead of D on it....what a pile of tripe....plus I don't think there's actually an explanation for the instigation of the counties with 2 plates
    Have a look at the post again the D4 bit was NOT quoted from wikipedia.
    I CBA looking for license plate info on site:.gov.ie - but if you can find anything different please post it. And as I pointed out Dublin postal codes would have stereotype associations not to mention snob value, I can't imagine many Northsiders letting in a D4 at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

ninty9er wrote:
    There is no necessity for 2 plates in Limerick
    Yes there is, it's because the Limerick city and county councils are like mortal enemies... or something. I have to go to the bogger (:)) motor tax office because the last city boundary extension pre-dates my 40 year old house, and the county council don't want to change this.

from
    logo.gif
    There are strict rules in place regarding the format, dimensions and technical specifications of vehicle registration plates that are displayed on vehicles in Ireland. Registration numbers are automatically assigned in sequence at the time when you register your vehicle. Failure to have a vehicle licence plate that conforms to the standards will result in a fine of up to 1,265 euro.

the "D4" was a Ross O'Carroll-Kelly idea if I recall, wasn't referring to Wikipedia there, I'd use it for a brief intro but I'd never reference it (again) after almost failing an essay for doing so (begged the tutor)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

its only the dubs that go on about wanting 'D' regs. My sis in law is looking for a corolla hatch and there are a few non D regs available to her not a million miles away, but she is holding out for the D. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

After spending the weekend down in Roscommon/Leitrim I can definitely see the appeal of a D reg car. My car came home filthy dirty! I religiously wash my car every week but I can see how if I lived down the country I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Have to say in total honesty I would never drive a non-D reg car again ( I did in my formative years out of desperation :o )

I remember bringing said car to a garage in Dublin for a trade in and the guy told me very seriously I was losing £700 off the trade in price for a mucker reg "nobody up here wants them".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

A lot of people will believe that the 'D' reg car will have been driven on Dublin roads and therefore might be in better condition. If the owner lived in Dublin the chances are that is the case. In all fairness the roads in Dublin are of a far higher standard in general. I have had WW, KK and LH reg cars but will always prefare a D reg, bit of a GAA thing there too i must admit, would never drive a MH!!

Advertisement