Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The "D" Reg myth

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

omega man wrote:
    A lot of people will believe that the 'D' reg car will have been driven on Dublin roads and therefore might be in better condition. If the owner lived in Dublin the chances are that is the case. In all fairness the roads in Dublin are of a far higher standard in general. I have had WW, KK and LH reg cars but will always prefare a D reg, bit of a GAA thing there too i must admit, would never drive a MH!!

The opposite side of that logic is that that D reg cars owned and driven in Dublin would have the preception of excessive wear on components such as brakes, clutch, gearbox, etc due to crawling along stuck in traffic all day. It cuts both ways.

When buying a used car I judge the car on it's own merits and condition regardless of the reg it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I went to buy a new car in WestMeath and the first thing the VW dealer asked me was if the car I was trading in had a D reg. He said it made a difference. The D reg's are more desirable for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

A friend of mine, living in Cork has a D reg car. One night, while driving the car in town, he was pelted with stones and told "F**K OFF PIGS"

It was a Mondeo, and they thought that it was an unmarked Garda car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

maidhc wrote:
    In Cork we always blow at D reg cars before everyone else

Do you? All of you? How mature.

In Dublin I always flash country reg cars in in front of me, the signage is so bad I really feel sorry for them trying to navigate around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

they have a thing in Cork about D regs alright. Any time I go home I always get slagged over the D reg on the car....wtf do they want me to do? Drive to cork every time I want to buy a car...???
    Wait till I go down next and they see the latest addition (DL reg).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got a few people registering their car to a Dublin address this year. It's alive and well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

@ galwaytt not supposed to be condescending, just throwing it out there

sorry, mea culpa, shouldn't have over-reacted..........

Anyhoo: true story for ya:

The year is 2001, and my friend wants to change his 99 Honda Accord Vtec 1.8. On approaching garage where he wants to buy a newer car, he asks would they take a trade on a 2yr old Accord, and would they go outside and take a look, to value it.

"First," says salesman, "what reg is it?"
    "99 D xxxx"
    "Grand, we'll offer you XX for it"
    "Do you not want to see it?"
    "No need, it has a D plate. If it didn't, we'd offer you a grand less for it"

exit stage left, my friend with newer car, deal done.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't sound like a great salesman - ignoring mileage, condition, model particulars, and whether the car had been crashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Couldnt go home to cork with a "D" reg, I'd be disowned. I'm stretching things as it is with my Limerick reg!

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

We should go back to the old Reg plates so there is less snobbery about when and where you car is from. It's pathetic that so many people are so obsessed with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

LFCFan wrote:
    We should go back to the old Reg plates so there is less snobbery about when and where you car is from. It's pathetic that so many people are so obsessed with this.
    :confused: But sure the old registration system still identifies the county! (More difficult to pin point a year though!)

Advertisement