Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thrash/death with different vocals

• 10-02-2007 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

hi all

I'm an old school thrash fan (late eighties is my forte)
    but now at 33yrs old I find the vocal styling just corny.

is there any thrash or death metal bands with a different slant on the vocals

hetfield, araya, mustaine and that type are all fine
    but I love the music style of death metal
    but the vocals are laughable (to me)

I dont know much death metal as I always
    found the vocals silly. the only album I got into
    is leprosy by death, but cant listen to it anymore
    due to the vocals

any thoughts on what may float my boat

I love voivod by the way, and thats a good example of what i mean
    fantomas are the biz aswell if not a bit too
    over the top, (patton is god)

ciao

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Try Nevermore. Musically they're very close to Death Metal at times, but with very melodic vocals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

You should try and get your hands on the 2 "ACID BATH" albums.

Death metal with very melodic voacals in places. Daxx Riggs is a god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Acid Bath are pretty far from death metal, they're more sludge/grungy with doom. Vio-Lence are a thrash band with a rather unique vocalist.Warrell Dane's vocals are cheesy as hell, they kind of put me off Nevermore to be honest. They just don't seem to suit at all, nearly everyone I know who's listened to them agrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Acid Bath are pretty far from death metal, they're more sludge/grungy with doom.

I disagree :p

edit: just for reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_Oc6_fy90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Try Iced Earth too. I can't recommend any albums in particular because I only know them by a few songs, but going by your description, you might like them.

I assume you know Pantera. If you don't, give them a try :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Was just about to recommend Nevermore, superb band with a consistantly solid discography (and f*cking excellent live :)). Only other recommendations I can think of would be instrumental death/thrash, Mastery are an unbelievable good instrumental thrash band, and 'Sleep Terror' are a superb technical death metal band from America, also intrumental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

thanks for the tips, i check out the suggestions

i must say i found the nevermore vocal cheesy also,

I dont mind screamers, its just the growlers that bug me,

rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Don't really think mustaine or hetfield are death metal really! Both Nevermore & Iced Earth are class bands though, would definitely recommend them!
    Probably already know & maybe don't like them, being from the same era, but I absolutely love Testament, really great band & great vocals too.

hi all

thanks for the tips, i check out the suggestions

i must say i found the nevermore vocal cheesy also,

I dont mind screamers, its just the growlers that bug me,

rgds

Yeah, I've noticed quite a few people don't seem to like Nevermore's vocals.

If it's just the low guttural vocals you don't like, then I might suggest to check out Death's later albums, the vocals are far more screaming than growling:

Also, it might be worth checking out Atheist:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

slang: I know mustaine and hetfield ain't death
    actually mustaine vocals is bordering on cheesy
    but megadeth are just class to me
    I prefer their arrangements and style to any other metal band
    (so far so good so what is possibly my fav metal album ever)

Thats the point, that i like the menance and mood of death metal
    but cant do the "barry white with laryngitus" vocals

Karl,
    thanks for the further tips,
    i have a bit of ammo to get myself up to date
    (my metal collection is like a time warp, nothing post '92)

God be with the days that you sprayed on yer jeans
    big chunky white boot runners and lots of hair!

rgds

• Advertisement

You know, I used to hate Death Metal, for the sole reason of the vocals really putting me off. Infact, it took me a long time to get into it, and even know there's some vocalists I still cannot stand. But overall, I found it's something you just get used to and grow to like.

What might help, is some Morbid Angel, as vocalist Dave Vincent is a lot clearer than most Death Metal vocalists.

Opeth were one of the main bands that got me into Death Metal, and it can be a lot easier to take aswell, as vocalist/guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt regularly alternates between a distorted vocal style, and a clean one. The growling kinda vocals might still be hard to listen to, but as the songs are often broken up with clean/distorted vocals, it's easier to listen to than Cannibal Corpse for example.

If that's not your bag, then I might suggest you check out Strapping Young Lad, much more on the screaming side of things, and quite a bit tongue in cheek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Original poster I agree with Karl on Opeth - like yourself I was a big metal fan in the 80s and early 90s but lost interest until recently.
    Opeth have a great sound check them out (clean vocals mixed with death)
    and dont sound tacky. Atheist "Questionable Presence" is a classic of the genre but the vocals aren't too growly.
    I reckon you might also like Isis. (Though not stricly death but intelligent and heavy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

Why not check out Confessor if you have'nt already? They were around in the early 90's and released just one album (Condemned) in 1992.
    Check out www.confessorband.com you can even have a listen if you like.
    In particular check out the song condemned, the drumming is superb!!
    By the way, they have reformed and have a new one out at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Try some of the old Sepultura from around the Beneath the Remains era as they were kind of death metal but didnt growl much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Try some Desaster.Its black/thrash. Hellfires Dominion and Angelwhore to start you off.

Advertisement