Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Satellite

Options
  • 10-02-2007 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi,

has anyone experience with the new "broadband" connections implemented in some schools last year? We have a Smart Telecom Satellite system here at our secondary school (300 Students) and to be honest it's a waste of time - our old ISDN line was better. We have found that the connection would go down all day then come back the next day (without having to power cycle the 2 satellite boxes in our computer room). The ping times are in the range of 800ms and file downloads are regularly corrupted. I guess we are stuck with this until the town becomes enabled for DSL but are our problems familiar to other schools experience?

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I have worked in two schools in the midlands regions with satellite broadband which I am pretty sure was from digiweb. It wasn't the fastest and seemed to have fairly high latency but it was definitely better than the ISDN they had previously.

Have you reported the problems to the NCTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i think we have it in my school..........when pages are blocked ,it says its by the school broadband scheme, and when i check the speed online its 128
    so its satilite

its crap tbh
    almost as bad my dial up at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

We have pretty much the same connection where I am and my God it is rubbish...it seems to be always down when you need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Done some work in a couple of schools with sat broadband and yeah it is terrible.. you need to hound NCTE .. make sure you have your roll number..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The Schools broadband service is a two level thing. HEANet handle the top level service and they contract out to broadband service providers. The broadband service providers handle getting the school connected into the HEANet network and HEANet take it from there.

The problem is that some of the providers aren't the most reliable. Satellite is not a good choice for internet connectivity as the latency, by the nature of the connection, is very high. It's unfortunate, but nothing can be done until DSL or some radio wave service is made available.

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement