Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+, Net+ ??

• 10-02-2007 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a 2 year part time cert in computing/IT at the moment. I'm looking to try and get some other qualifications and I've heard A+ or Net+ are courses to look at?

Can anyone suggest somewhere I might get some good information about them, and can anyone speak from experience on how useful they are?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'm doing a 2 year part time cert in computing/IT at the moment. I'm looking to try and get some other qualifications and I've heard A+ or Net+ are courses to look at?

Can anyone suggest somewhere I might get some good information about them, and can anyone speak from experience on how useful they are?

Thanks a lot.

They are both very foundational certifications in PC Hardware/OS and Networking respectively.

There is a brand new A+ just out and CompTIA are one of the most widely recognised certifications globally.

Information from the horses mouth so to speak:
    A+
    http://certification.comptia.org/a/
    Network+
    http://certification.comptia.org/network/

If you are working in the private sector pls drop me a PM as I may be able to get you an EU grant for either/both of those courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

I did A+ a few years ago. I already had an IT diploma and job at that stage but did it since work were paying for it. A+ will give you a good understanding of PC hardware and the Windows OS, which is useful for an IT support job. Should also help get the foot in the door for jobs as well. Network+ is obviously more network based.

Your probably doing all this to get a job in IT. I rate real-life IT experience way above any of these certs, but end up studying for them myself because I know they look impressive on CVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

My problem is that it seems impossible to get into a real-life IT job in order to get the experience as I'm seeing more and more looking for A+ type things, without even mentioning degrees and dips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

I'm not sure what IT job you may be looking for? or if you are just looking to get experience. The only one i think of which you should be able to get is Technical Support with a ISP....we all have to start somewhere to get experience.

Advertisement