Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom problems again

Options
  • 10-02-2007 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Looks like old Eircon is having problems again. BB not working properly, some site available and others cannot be reached.

I feels like the same problem that occured a couple of weeks ago when they lost some connection to a router.

Anyone else suffering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Am suffering here but maybe because I've jjust moved from NTL to eircom and not too sure what I am doing? (setting up wireless)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cloggie

My Eircom wireless connection seems to work okay, a little slower maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yes I can confirm this. Right now as a matter of fact. :(

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/index.php

http://www.remakes.org/

Others work such as boards and ryanair and google. Just like a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Same with me - no connection to any telia networks (hence no WoW :-p)

I know the sites are working though because I have shell accounts on servers on other networks and connectivity is fine on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

half the internet is not connecting for me(for example bbc.co.uk).
    was fine until about 30 mins ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

One piece of advice, do not use Eircom DNS servers use OPenDNS - 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

h2s wrote:
    Looks like old Eircon is having problems again. BB not working properly, some site available and others cannot be reached.

I feels like the same problem that occured a couple of weeks ago when they lost some connection to a router.

Anyone else suffering?

Yeah, I'm seeing it too. Different router to the last time if memory serves (83.71.112.202 this time, thought it was different last time). Can reach most Irish sites fine (I'd expect via INEX) but most international sites are unreachable. Using a proxy should be a temporary fix for web browsing, its working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Also seem to be having problems connecting to international sites here. Boards seems to be the only site not giving me problems.

pH wrote:
    half the internet is not connecting for me(for example bbc.co.uk).
    was fine until about 30 mins ago

That's how I coped the problem, BBC appears ok now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Yea(In Galway atm)same here, was trying to get Komplett

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

h2s wrote:
    That's how I coped the problem, BBC appears ok now
    still no go on BBC for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Changed to OpenDNS but still not 100%,must be an international link gone ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah same problems here. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Just spent 40 mins on a mobile call to eircom, had some guy "with a degree in network engineering" laughing at me and saying it was my firewall and claiming i was insulting his intelligence by saying it was a routing problem.

He eventually realised it wasnt my settings when i explained what a tracert was and then hung up on me when he agreed to transfer me to his manager.

I love eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

bbc seems to come and go for me. I can get cnn though.

Can anyone get http://home.skysports.com/
    cos it wont come up for me, yet i can get skynews.

EDIT: bbc gone now.

EDIT:Google search not working now either

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok im connected to wow now,opendns sorted it.
    The funny bit is i only changed from opendns to eircoms recomended yesterday.

Scratch that,as soon as i alt tabbed back into wow i was disconnected and cant get back on.

Dustaz wrote:
    Just spent 40 mins on a mobile call to eircom, had some guy "with a degree in network engineering" laughing at me and saying it was my firewall and claiming i was insulting his intelligence by saying it was a routing problem.

He eventually realised it wasnt my settings when i explained what a tracert was and then hung up on me when he agreed to transfer me to his manager.

I love eircom.

They are some chower of sunts. There was a time many years ago when Eircom's support was indeed vey good, I used them a few time and was very happy with the response. But in recent years they are terrible, they will always do their best to blame your setup, or the classic "you may have a virus" rather than accept that there may be a problem their end.

I am glad I do not have to use them much as the BB here from Eircom is excellent, with top speeds, except when you get glitches like today.

As I said elsewhere they big prob here is communication - keeping the punters informed if or when a problem does occur. Sh*t happens from time to time, everyone accepts that, but telling lies ("we have no problem here") or just turning a deaf ear really pisses people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Can anyone get Google search to work?

I've been trying for over two hours now and no luck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I logged into wow 40 mins ago,then got disconnected with the same problem as earlier.

Yeah Google is working for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I tried switching to OpenDNS servers, it's even worse than eircom's own. :(

I'm guessing since the link went down on saturday evening we'll be stuck without it for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I logged into wow at 7pm and now its not working. Not ringing support to go through the whole "lets reset the router and your settings"

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

I logged into wow at 7pm and now its not working. Not ringing support to go through the whole "lets reset the router and your settings"

HI people

When diagnosing this kind of issues there are several steps to take:

First ping the unaccesible web site lets say google.ie

ping google.ie

if you get a reply thats fine, not a DNS issue probably something else (i will explain later)

if you dont get a reply then ping google.ie ip address x.x.x.x, if you get a reply then its most probably a DNS issue but this is very unlikely to happen or at least if very unlikely to happen and they dont knowning it..

If thats the case then it should be enough if you enter DNS servers manually.

If you dont get a ping response then it could be firewall. Run a trace that will tell you more.

Anyway going back to the first part, if you ping the DNS name (google.ie) and you get a reply then, and assuming is not a https site, will probably be a router problem, check your MTU/RWIN values. This happens often when you own a D-Link router as its default values are too high for EIRCOMs.

Hope this helps!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you sure this is an Eircom only issue? I was in an internet cafe today and they were having similar problems 'all afternoon' according to the girl there and certainly when I was there about 6.30 pm. I didnt check today but the last time I did check on who their isp was it was BT.

dub45 wrote:
    Are you sure this is an Eircom only issue? I was in an internet cafe today and they were having similar problems 'all afternoon' according to the girl there and certainly when I was there about 6.30 pm. I didnt check today but the last time I did check on who their isp was it was BT.

I honestly doubt its a problem with the ISP, I mean, if it is a routing problem I am sure that EIRCOMs NMC will be aware of it by now. If you said you were having problems at the internet cafe could be just an internal issue.

But you never know!! I have seen worst!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Praetor wrote:
    I honestly doubt its a problem with the ISP, I mean, if it is a routing problem I am sure that EIRCOMs NMC will be aware of it by now. If you said you were having problems at the internet cafe could be just an internal issue.

But you never know!! I have seen worst!

The problems were similar - boards was available - bbc coming and going etc etc.

dub45 wrote:
    The problems were similar - boards was available - bbc coming and going etc etc.

Well if at the end its a problem at EIRCOM side then it could be that one of their BAS is not correctly configured or is not working properly. Anyway there is no way of knowing :(

I had a quick sniff around at sites giving trouble; two routers 83.71.112.(128 & 253) appear to be one bottleneckin the loop. Also one or two esat routers.

Further anything routed through the UK e.g. through sprintlink or level 3 is suffering, this includes some irish site such as Komplett and Marx Computers.

BBC is working fine as it routes directly from one of the Eircom routers mentioned above.

Mind you this is from where I am in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Seems fine now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 legalimmigrant

hamster wrote:
    Seems fine now...

Not here it's not.

I did the detailed explanation of what was broken last week (no, it's not the bloody DNS servers, they've got at least one broken router -- *again*). It's someone else's turn.

Currently I'm in the bizarre position of being able to see my own server in Texas, but only on one of its IP addresses. The one-number-away alternate address is blackholing inside the Eircrap network, apparently home to People With Degrees In Not Sucking At This.

Me, I've only got a ton of practical experience, but I know what a corrupted routing table feels like.

Muppets.

• Advertisement

For me its fine

what happens when you trace those ips?????

Advertisement