Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom problems again

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

It's an Eircom routing problem:
    Tracing route to nexuswar.com [72.32.58.185]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  b-ras1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.23]
      3    13 ms    10 ms     9 ms  83.71.112.70
      4    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  83.71.112.202
      5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *

When I switch to proxying with Tor all these sites are up and available, fcuking Eircon muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

pH wrote:
    It's an Eircom routing problem:
    Tracing route to nexuswar.com [72.32.58.185]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
      1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
      2    10 ms    10 ms    10 ms  b-ras1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net [159.134.155.23]
      3    13 ms    10 ms     9 ms  83.71.112.70
      4    18 ms    18 ms    18 ms  83.71.112.202
      5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
      9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
     12     *

When I switch to proxying with Tor all these sites are up and available, fcuking Eircon muppets.

Yeah, I am sorry for you

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 73 ms 10 ms 11 ms bas503.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.239]
    3 14 ms 14 ms 22 ms vlan501.rt501.cwt.esat.net [193.95.137.124]
    4 150 ms 222 ms 249 ms vlan53.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.130.153]
    5 126 ms 60 ms 44 ms ge1-0.core001.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.17]
    6 23 ms 23 ms 24 ms pos2-0.br001.ldn.esat.net [193.95.131.14]
    7 111 ms 24 ms 24 ms ge3-0.pr1.lhr1.uk.above.net [195.66.224.76]
    8 105 ms 95 ms 120 ms so-4-0-0.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.27.57]
    9 107 ms 94 ms 120 ms so-0-0-0.mpr2.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.26.2]
    10 129 ms 269 ms 200 ms so-2-2-0.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.29.9]
    11 124 ms 211 ms 124 ms so-1-0-0.cr1.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.29.189]
    12 147 ms 137 ms 137 ms 64.124.12.6.available.above.net [64.124.12.6]
    13 128 ms 128 ms 183 ms vlan901.core1.dfw1.rackspace.com [72.3.128.21]
    14 162 ms 128 ms 129 ms aggr4a.dfw1.rackspace.net [72.3.129.15]
    15 194 ms 197 ms 189 ms www.gaijin.com [72.32.58.185]

Have you try connecting through a different BRAS?

b-ras1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net. Are the rest of the people connecting thru the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 marchanlon

For me its fine

what happens when you trace those ips?????

Probably because you're not on Eircom.
    Praetor wrote:
    Have you try connecting through a different BRAS?

b-ras1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net. Are the rest of the people connecting thru the same one?

I am on the same b-ras but the router with the fault is a border router for Eircom so in theory it shouldn't matter which b-ras you're on. Interestingly, some traffic is going through the router without a fault (next hop, 213.248.75.53) while most deadends on 83.71.112.202 - so looks like it's an interface or routing table issue as opposed to the router being dead.

It wouldn't be so bad if Eircom didn't just bury their head in the sand and pretend there's no problem. Hours later and still no service announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

marchanlon wrote:
    Probably because you're not on Eircom.

I am on the same b-ras but the router with the fault is a border router for Eircom so in theory it shouldn't matter which b-ras you're on. Interestingly, some traffic is going through the router without a fault (next hop, 213.248.75.53) while most deadends on 83.71.112.202 - so looks like it's an interface or routing table issue as opposed to the router being dead.

It wouldn't be so bad if Eircom didn't just bury their head in the sand and pretend there's no problem. Hours later and still no service announcement.

Well lets just hope they realize soon, strange that at the NMC they havent already.

I will check on monday though.

PS: Yes I am not with EIRCOM... so today I can relax but you never know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Cork
    eircomBB

Seems o.k. again except that google is still slow and sometimes times out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

I still can't access gmail, everything else is fine for me though. This is two days withough gmail now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Problem is same today hasnt changed, newsnow.co.uk is another site that wont open. Dreadful customer service as per usual even if they had an emergency site with details for customers it would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Monaghan EIrcom,

Cant get BBC or other sites mentioned here, and its been like this since fri night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Google coming and going here.

Never had a problem with Eircoms connection until last month when gmail and google started going down. (on each other!)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It's also affecting some traffic from the Government network - our connection out to srp.eu.blackberry.net isn't getting beyond 83.71.112.202 whilst from my own BT connection all is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I wonder if there's any chance that the attack on the net on the 6th of this month could be causing some of these problems..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6338261.stm

Hackers attack heart of the net

Icann was one of the organisations targeted in the attack
    Hackers have attempted to topple key parts of the internet's backbone, in one of the most significant attacks of recent years.

The target was servers that help to direct global internet traffic.

In the early hours of Tuesday three key servers were hit by a barrage of data in what is known as a distributed denial-of-service attack.

There is no evidence so far of damage, which experts are saying is testament to the robust nature of the internet.

Websites unreachable

The so-called root servers involved in the attack act as a kind of global address book for the internet by translating website name information into IP addresses to enable computers to visit particular sites.

The servers involved were each operated by a separate body - the US Defense Department, the net's oversight body ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) and UltraDNS, which manages traffic for websites ending in "org" and some other suffixes.

"Last night we were seeing attacks which lasted for a couple of hours. There were probably hundreds of root server operators co-operating around the globe to make sure that the average user wouldn't notice," said Paul Levins, executive officer of Icann.

The fact that the attack remained invisible to users is being hailed as a success.

"The most interesting element of this concerted attack is that the system demonstrated the benefits of being dispersed and interoperable. There was no one point of failure," said Mr Levins.

The type of attack favoured in this case involves floods of data being sent to a machine in an effort to knock it over.

"A denial-of-service attack is a bit like fourteen fat men trying to get into an elevator - nothing can move," explained Graham Cluley, senior consultant at security firm Sophos.

If a part of the DNS system went down it would mean websites could be unreachable and e-mail undeliverable.

Research last year suggested that holes in the net's addressing system could leave 85% of the net vulnerable to take over if hackers combined simple attacks with denial-of-service attacks.

Mischief or money?

The fact that the attack remained invisible to users will be seen as evidence that the heart of the net can be kept healthy.

It was, said Mr Levin, too early to analyse exactly what happened or why; although there is speculation that zombie computers - the machines of innocent users which are recruited by hackers - were involved in the attack.

Whether the motive was mischief or money - in the form of blackmail - remains to be seen but Mr Cluley believes it is more likely to be the former.

"If money is involved there is a trail for investigators to follow. Attacking a target like this is just asking for trouble - like letting a huge bomb off in a building," he said.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

We have just been informed that the issue was with eircomnet peering in London and that all is ok now. Certainly our BB traffic is back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

all working for me now. about time

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

almost dead here in cork, same issues as outlined earlier. it has been like this since 4pm on saturday. trace routes to www.google.ie show extremly high numbers > 215ms in some hops.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

aye the same , can connect to a few sites, all saturday & sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Hi
    I noticed the same issues over saturday and sunday afternoon with accessing certain websites. There seemed to be no further issues after 5pm yesterday though

cheers

grasscutter

still the same problems here, perhaps a list of bad sites should be compiled. anything is better than waiting for a response from eircom tech support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Ninjawombat

I've been arguing with eircom tech support for 15 months and I still haven't been connected properly... And if one more tech guy tells me it's a problem with my laptop, I'm probably gonna throw my laptop at him. Three different computers having problems - I think it's safe to say it's Eircom and their crap service.

Rage.

Actually, where are the eircom offices?... I'm totally gonna go there and yell really loudly at someone...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I've been arguing with eircom tech support for 15 months and I still haven't been connected properly... And if one more tech guy tells me it's a problem with my laptop, I'm probably gonna throw my laptop at him. Three different computers having problems - I think it's safe to say it's Eircom and their crap service.

Rage.

Actually, where are the eircom offices?... I'm totally gonna go there and yell really loudly at someone...

What problems are you actually having? Maybe someone here could help?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Actually, where are the eircom offices?

Well, the money-grabbers are all in the Fourth Circle, while fraudsters are below in the Eighth. My guess is they maintain an office in both.

• Advertisement

tech support say "we are looking into the problem" ... that was last saturday, today is THURSDAY, has anyone any advise. it seems that any us or uk based site seem extremly slow and sometimes timeout. any irish based site seem unaffected.

www.rte.ie - ok
    www.boards.ie - ok

www.bbc.co.uk - slow / timeouts
    www.microsoft.com - slow /timeouts

Advertisement