Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A plug is just a plug?

Options
  • 10-02-2007 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I have what I would consider to be a standard power plug. plug at one end, long cable, 2 hole adaptor thingy at the other end. If this fits on the device I want to use it for, is there no danger that it will blow up in my face (literally and figuratively). Or do I need to start checking voltages and ampages and all that crazy stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

Check the voltages!
    I thought it wouldn't hurt to do what you're talking about with my external hard drive - it's broken now :(
    It wouldn't blow up in your face, but it would break, which would be a shame!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I presume the lead you're referring to is a "Figure of 8" lead, used in many portable stereo's and laptop power supply units.

The lead itself would be standard enough, as long as what you're plugging it into can handle the voltage. eg, if the device you plan plugging it into is from USA, the voltage is very different, so you'd need to see if it can handle our 230V mains.

Advertisement