Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aircon belt on 320d - Replacing

Options
  • 10-02-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon folks,
    Just had a look at my air con belt, it's about to fall apart, cracks all over, so time for a change before there's damage.

Is it hard to do? Should it be attempted from the top or bottom? Is the tensioner auto or manual? Obviously going to get the mechanic to do it to be on the safe side, just wan't to know the basics.

Its an 02 car but the engine was replaced in 04. I can see the air con pump, tensioner and pulley easily from the top, i'm presuming its not a big job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

as far as i know the BMW uses an automatic tensioner thats pretty ok to remove and refit.

Why was engine replaced, burning oil??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Engine was replaced with a brand spanking new one under warranty in 2004 due to a blown turbo (Did damage to the engine too) .... New engine only has 35k on it sweet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi John,

I presume the air con belt on a E46 320d is similar to that on my E46 318i, ie it just drives the air con compressor, from the crank shaft. If it is the same as mine it's fairly simple...

They are very easy to change, the only thing is that the idler pully is spring tensioned. And it requires a Torques head bit (T50 i think) to hold the tensioner back while you change the belt. The only E36 used to use a standard ratched to pull back the tensioner, and in my option this was much better, the Torques bits can sometimes slip, depending on how the force is applied...

I recently bought a set of Allen, Torques & Splied bits in McQuillans for about €20, and they came with a 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets. The set i got is the same as these:-
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht144-40-pce-torxspline-bit-holder-s

Also make sure the guy in the parts store gives you the right belt, ie the lenght is correct, happened to my on my E36, only realised when i had the old belt off that the new one was shorter :(

D

Thanks DD, I have a full torque/hex etc. set so happy days. You are right, the aircon belt only drives the compressor from the crank pulley. I can see the tensioner I just didn't know if it was manual or auto

I'll let you know how I get on with it

I managed to find the diagram of my engine's belt. I presume that I just need to loosen the Hex bolt (4) to loosen the tensioner?

195.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

The engine was replaced in 2004 and only has 35k on it but the ac belt is all cracked and ready to fall apart. Hmmm, I'm no expert but in my mind something doesnt add up.

WildWater wrote:
    The engine was replaced in 2004 and only has 35k on it but the ac belt is all cracked and ready to fall apart. Hmmm, I'm no expert but in my mind something doesnt add up.

Well that's good for you, who asked for your opinion? n00b :rolleyes:

Removed the belt this morning in about 5 minutes, turns out the 'cracks' were just water/dirt particles... Next time i'll actually feel the belt to double check :o

Anyhow, since it's off i'm going to replace it with a new one they're cheap as chips to buy and (hopefully) easy to replace

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WildWater wrote:
    What are you implying? The fact that a known issue damaged the original engine doesn't reflect on the OP. So basically you are trying to insinuate something over the fact that a rubber belt looks a bit iffy.

kbannon wrote:
    What are you implying? The fact that a known issue damaged the original engine doesn't reflect on the OP. So basically you are trying to insinuate something over the fact that a rubber belt looks a bit iffy.

kbannon - My thoughts exactly. See folks, this is what happens when people who don't have a clue get the verbal scutters and talk/type sh1te :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

WildWater wrote:

The engine was replaced - that does not mean the belt and any ancillary components were replaced at the same time - it was a warranty job so most likely only parts that were absolutely necessary were fitted.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    The engine was replaced - that does not mean the belt and any ancillary components were replaced at the same time - it was a warranty job so most likely only parts that were absolutely necessary were fitted.

Another good point. I can only presume that the starter, air con compressor and other bit's weren't replaced. Just the engine and turbo. Makes sense really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

JohnCleary wrote:
    Another good point. I can only presume that the starter, air con compressor and other bit's weren't replaced. Just the engine and turbo. Makes sense really

Does the documentation with the new engine not show exactly what they replaced?
    Im guessing if you bought in the Uk you got a large service file , it would be time well spent to check that out save unnecessary time replacing consumeables which are still fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    who asked for your opinion? n00b :rolleyes:

No need to be rude, JohnCleary

Jakey wrote:
    Does the documentation with the new engine not show exactly what they replaced?
    Im guessing if you bought in the Uk you got a large service file , it would be time well spent to check that out save unnecessary time replacing consumeables which are still fresh.

It's about 10 pages long! Don't see any mention of belt's being replaced
    unkel wrote:
    No need to be rude, Johncleary

There's also no need for pointless posts, nor is there a need to be trying to imply that there's 'Something not adding up' with my car. I wouldn't mind if the poster had a clue what he was talking about but he obviously doesn't through his own admission

-Edit- Thanks for the helpful replies here and elsewhere. I have since found an answer to my question, could a mod please lock this thread before it gets messy

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JohnCleary wrote:
    I wouldn't mind if the poster had a clue what he was talking about

This is a public forum. See the charter. You can tell a poster that they haven't got a clue, but there is no need to be rude

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭WildWater

Ok didn't expect all that.

First of all I didn't get time to finish my post as the flight I was waiting on got called a little early. So please let me explain.

What didn't add up for me was that the belt shouldn't be all cracked and badly worn with only 35k on it. Now even if the belt had not being replace with the engine what does a cracked and badly worn belt say about the service history of the car? Especially, since we are talking about a "cheap as chips part". Anyway all this is irrelevant now because the belt wasn't all cracked and worn afterall.

So John, you started a thread on a problem that you though you had but didn't have. Now I accept that as an honest mistake but yet you still have the audacity to say that I am the one who doesn't have a clue.

Furthermore, why did you have to be so rude? Was it not just as easy to come back on and ask me to clarify my point? If you had bothered to look at my post count you would have seen that I am not as experienced a poster as you and a little help from an experienced poster to a novice would have been a lot more constructive. You had that opportunity but instead you choose to be rude. I find that rather disingenuous, so its ok for you come on here expecting to get other people to help you but as soon as you get a post you dont like you choose to denegrate the poster rather than showing them the same helpfullness that has been so generously applied to you!

John, Im glad that your belt wasn't all cracked as you thought and I really do hope that you get many many happy days for motoring in your new car.

Advertisement