Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whatever happened to the 'M' in MTV?

Options
  • 10-02-2007 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

MTV used to be my favourite channel up to a few years ago untill i moved on to more then just music videos and turned to proper programs... i turn it back on again recently, and what the hell happened? now its justa load of crap american soap operas and ''reality'' programs....why did they change the format? its ****e :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't remember the last time I watched MTV it was so long ago. It is just brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

About 10 years ago it was quality. When they first released manufactured pop groups everyone got in on it. Thats when it became the station it is today. :mad:

Long gone are the days when you could flick it on and you could listen to hours of proper quality music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

I dont want to flick on programmes of spoiled little brats celebrating their 'Sweet 16' or watch 'Pimp my ride'!!!! How are these programs even connected to music???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I have MTV hidden on Channel 54 on my tv. I told everyone it went and we got Channel 6 instead :) . I would have to leave the room if anybody put on that crap.

Most irritating is that Jessica Simpson show. Their marriage is over. It was crap. Nobody cares about them. They're not even famous in europe.

If I ever hear the words "i want to be carried in to the party on a throne" ever again i'm going to kill someone. You can feel yourself getting dumber watching that channel.

I have MTV hidden on Channel 54 on my tv. I told everyone it went and we got Channel 6 instead :) . I would have to leave the room if anybody put on that crap.

Most irritating is that Jessica Simpson show. Their marriage is over. It was crap. Nobody cares about them. They're not even famous in europe.

If I ever hear the words "i want to be carried in to the party on a throne" ever again i'm going to kill someone. You can feel yourself getting dumber watching that channel.

''And for my super sweet 16 i want a car daddy!!!!! it has to be a BMW!!!.'' Yes soo pisses me off. and even though that 'newlyweds' show has finished (thank gawd...) Jessica simpson keeps popping up on MTV in that proactiv soloution ad.... You know i really dont believe it gave her 'so much confidence' :rolleyes: Probably just the money they paid her to endorse the advert!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when MTV UK & Ireland came about that was the end of it in this country. it has been terrible ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I only watch South Park on MTV - other then that the channel is avoided.

120 Minutes is basically the only programme worth watching.Base/Dance/2 may have a video worth watching but its a rarity these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

When they first released manufactured pop groups everyone got in on it.

Yes, the 1960's have a lot to answer for. MTV hasn't been the same in since 1962....

..oh wait a minute.

Orizio wrote:

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Some years ago I had the 'M' with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote:

120 Minutes is basically the only programme worth watching.Base/Dance/2 may have a video worth watching but its a rarity these days.

Wvwn the south park they show its repeated from yrs back. MTV2 showing decent videos? not when ive ever seen it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

A joke of a TV station now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I remember when TMF came on, and for about two weeks they had music on it, it was a great relief, until The Fabulous Life came on, and then it was down that very steep slope. Glad hey got rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wvwn the south park they show its repeated from yrs back. MTV2 showing decent videos? not when ive ever seen it...

I was mainly talking about 120 minutes which covers the 'alternative' scene, basically more experimental and harder to find musicians.Its the best two hours of music on the TV imo.

wet-paint wrote:
    I remember when TMF came on, and for about two weeks they had music on it, it was a great relief, until The Fabulous Life came on, and then it was down that very steep slope. Glad they got rid of it.

Nope! Still on ntl digital but they took it off the anolouge wonder why...??:rolleyes::o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

MTV sold the word "Music" from their name and bought a shiny new "Mundane" to replace it. Unfortunately, the upkeep costs on "Mundane" was too much so they sold it and bought "Moronic" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Jello wrote:
    A joke of a TV station now.
    Agreed, programs like "my slapper of a daughter is 16" or "gay date your father" or what ever its called. I loved when there was proper music:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

mtv aired american mtv trl a few years ago. then did their own version .(Dave berry rot in hell) i hated trl, 30 seconds clips of music video that they saw as a hart request show can hardly be considered as a music show.

even the stations like q, mtv2 etc are getting a bit sh*tty. where did vh2 go? that was a decent station, which met my criteria

VH2 turned into MTV Flux

it was a sad day for music television when that change happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They should call it CCC -Conspicuous Consumption Central. :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Mossy Monk wrote:
    when MTV UK & Ireland came about that was the end of it in this country. it has been terrible ever since
    Yes, very true.

But somebody must be watching the rubbish they air, since it's still on air.

VH2 was one of the few things that MTV did right in recent times, but no, it was too good to last it seems. Maybe it's cheaper to air those crap TV shows than pay royalties for music vids. Anyway, if MTV were to disappear overnight, I wouldn't miss it

Didnt VH1 turn into MTVFLUX?

Didnt VH1 turn into MTVFLUX?

no. like i already pointed out VH2 turned into MTV Flux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Ive a feeling they show tapes of Sweet 16 in Al Quaeda training camps to get the new recruits foaming at the mouth in rage.

Jesus H Christ what a gang of spas.

Mind you, the triplets were savage, and the episodes featuring an Italian American girl whos surly male relatives gave the impression they were connected, or the Colombian girl with similiarly dodge male relatives, quite funny :) Particularly their treatment of young lads trying to pull their sister/cousin/whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Mtv lost its mmmm!
    Youtube & myspace are my replacement for music tv & they're ten times better.. watch what you want when you want. Yay!
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

tv3 was another station who were on a winner about 3 or four years back. i can remeber when they had this show during the summer which went on air till 3am. people could text in can request a video and leave a message which was displayed on the screen.

what was so good about it was, that it played videos that were no poppy commercial rubbish (some was good but then they were constantly played 1000 times a day on radio and other music stations). many irish bands got requested. but it got really popular so that meant we had to watch beyonce's crazy in love for the 1001th time a day. (but hey the public gets what the public want)

but alas it got plugged.

looks like the sh%tty reality programmes have now killed the video star. ya just gotta love the noughties. ur right about you tube. endless hours of entertainment

when mtv uk and ireland came on air around the brit pop erea or 1997 (not sure which), i first thought, great, now i dont have to put up with crappy european music (imo) and weird sounding presenters from places like holland. but give when ya had to put up with the grand (ye right) weekends putting up with richard blackwood i begged for the old mtv europe days. now some of ye might not agree with me but i missed presenters like ray crookes (mtv most wanted) and eddy temple morris and shows like mtv select and the unplug series. even zane lowe who can be annoying a wee bit and edith bowman fecked off o the other mtv channels.

the lads at the mtv stations have got really really lazy. if i want to watch south park etc i will go and rent them out or check out for the other 20 or so channels that do them. even in the glory days of vh2 they constantly air the same kind of best of .... every or so months. as much as i have enjoyed the mtv2 indie 500 it almost became as relevant asa dave fannings yearly fab 50 chart, when it was aired every two months or so.

rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

MTV used to be my favourite channel up to a few years ago untill i moved on to more then just music videos and turned to proper programs... i turn it back on again recently, and what the hell happened? now its justa load of crap american soap operas and ''reality'' programs....why did they change the format? its ****e :(

i can understand them putting on a few tv shows, but there doens't to be any music on it anymore???

its just wierd

Advertisement