Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insured on two cars as the main driver?

Options
  • 10-02-2007 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if it's possible for my father to be the main driver of two cars. He is a farmer so I suppose he could designate one of them as a farm vehicle, I assume tradesmen do something similar to this. I heard somewhere though that if someone like myself is put on as an a named driver on one of the cars I am assumed by the insurer to be the main driver of that car. However, I wouldn't be able to build up an NCB and the cost of insuranse would be much more than the cost if he only had one car, can anyone clarify if this is the case.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Peteb

He can insure two cars in his name. Thats no problem. If you were to be added to either car the amount charged would jump due to your age. Its not that they assume you will be the main driver, its that they rate the policy on the most rateable driver eg. the 17 year with a provisional licence.
    Designating one of them as a farm vehicle doesnt make a difference.

In the end of the day, if its for you its best just to insure it in your name because it will cost just as much as your dad being the main driver. Quinn Direct are good for young drivers, and Hibernian if you are prepared to do the ignition course and stay on a reasonable sized car. Eg between 1000cc and 1400cc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I have heard of a case of a person making a claim on their insurance in circunstances where the father was principal driver on two policies. The insurance company repudiated the policy on the grounds that the true driver of the car was the son and that there had been fundamental non-disclosure. Be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Peteb wrote:
    Its not that they assume you will be the main driver, its that they rate the policy on the most rateable driver eg. the 17 year with a provisional licence.
    Would that not be the same as if there was only one car involved, no??

Jo King wrote:
    I have heard of a case of a person making a claim on their insurance in circunstances where the father was principal driver on two policies. The insurance company repudiated the policy on the grounds that the true driver of the car was the son and that there had been fundamental non-disclosure. Be careful!
    Not going to try anything like that, don't want to get caught up in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

He can insure and drive fifty cars if he wants, but he can only use up his NCB on one policy so for all the others he'd have 0 yrs NCB.

If you're trying to use this method as a way of getting yourself on the road my advice is don't bother, the only way you win in the long run is by having your own no claims built up in your own name. Sure, Quinn and some companies will "take into consideration" you were on a parents policy for x amount of years, but the real money to be saved is in a policy under your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Savman wrote:
    He can insure and drive fifty cars if he wants, but he can only use up his NCB on one policy so for all the others he'd have 0 yrs NCB.

Incorrect. You can only assign one NCB to a car, and only one car to a policy. If you want to insure two, you buy two policies, and you then accrue two NCB's, and it's totally legit. This was confirmed to me by Hibernian a long time ago, and my wife has two cars fully insured in her name, and two full NCB's. And that's with FBD, and they have no problem with it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

galwaytt wrote:
    Incorrect. You can only assign one NCB to a car, and only one car to a policy. If you want to insure two, you buy two policies, and you then accrue two NCB's, and it's totally legit. This was confirmed to me by Hibernian a long time ago, and my wife has two cars fully insured in her name, and two full NCB's. And that's with FBD, and they have no problem with it.
    I am aware of that but maybe I didn't word my post properly, I've NCB built up on 2 policies myself I just didnt think it mattered to the OP in the context of his query :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I tried this a few years back on mummy's car and one I planned to purchase.

They were fine with it until I told them i'd be insured on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

galwaytt wrote:
    My question here would be (and I'm interested because I have two cars), does this mean then that the no-claims bonus applies to the car rather than me? It's simply not logical that I can have a full no-claims bonus on one car and none at all on another.

Look at the situation in reverse. You have two cars and have built up two full NCBs on them. You have an accident one day and you make a claim. Are you obliged to tell the insurer with whom you have the other NCB about this accident and will that NCB be unaffected?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It might have been said above but:

Insurance is calculated on the highest risk driver. ie. It cost me nothing to add my 20yo GF/Provo/No experience (Can't even drive :eek: ) as I am a higher risk driver

As a named driver you cannot build an NCB which sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Hi, we have 2 cars. One 1.7L and another one 1.8L... and I still have provisional license and my wife already have full license with 5yrs NCB, we currently insured 1.8L car with me as a 2nd driver. But when come to insure our new 1.7L car, the broker quote me Euro2400 to insure me with provisional license. And they said we cannot insure 1.7L car as 2nd car for new policy (even without NCB) because of my provisional license cannot be as 2nd driver in 2 cars....

I look around over the internet and we manage to get a quote for our 1.7L car as new policy with my wife as main driver and me as 2nd driver for only Euro755 (0% NCB with Euro1,000 excess)....

My question are, is it true that Provisional License cannot be as 2nd driver in 2 policy? and can just we insure our 1.7L car online just like that? and is there any possible solution for this situation?... Thanks... erie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

blastman wrote: »
    My question here would be (and I'm interested because I have two cars), does this mean then that the no-claims bonus applies to the car rather than me? It's simply not logical that I can have a full no-claims bonus on one car and none at all on another.

Look at the situation in reverse. You have two cars and have built up two full NCBs on them. You have an accident one day and you make a claim. Are you obliged to tell the insurer with whom you have the other NCB about this accident and will that NCB be unaffected?

I've two cars insured on two different polices (with a full licence). That was a question I asked them when I took out the second policy, and the answer was a claim on one won't affect the other. I've yet to test it out though. There was resistance on the part of the insurance company to taking out the second policy, the reaction on their part when I inquired originally was kind of shock horror :eek:, sure why would you want to do that drive two cars, it's just not done, its strictly not allowed !! - but after some persistance they finally relented, and I got an introductory bonus on the second car:)
    I'd probably be in for a double whammy on insurance loading if I started clocking up penalty points though.

Advertisement