Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

x series on 3

• 10-02-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

does anyone know when 3 ireland are going to release their x series app, & anyone know roughly how much it would cost a month, I'm planning on buying a sim free nokia N95 to take full use of it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

X-Series will not be compatible with the Nokia N95, at least not at first. Initially, it will only be compatible with the Nokia N73, followed some time later by the Sony Ericsson W950.

Nobody knows when it will launch here, nor how much it will cost. In the UK, it's £5 and £10 on top of your minutes, depending on which package you go for (Silver or Gold).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

I emailed 3 telling them of my interest in the W950i on the X-series offer a few weeks ago.
    I asked them various questions, seeing as the W950i is symbian OS, does 3 reflash it with their firmware. etc

Couple of days later I received a call from their Scottish centre. Basically they informed me that they were looking at a March release date in Ireland for launching the X-series. But don't hold your breath...

She then tried to get me to sign up for the Nokia N73. I said I would perfer to wait till the W950i is released here. It does have 4GB internal memory after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the guy in the new 3 store in limerick told me end of feb. for release. no other info available.

when this does go live, will it be possible to use the phone as a modem? ie - instead of getting broadband in, I could use x-series for general internet use on the pc at home? (I assume movie/music downloading would not be feasible?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you want to use it instead of getting broadband, you'd be better off getting a pure data package from 3. These are available now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

ablelocks wrote:
    the guy in the new 3 store in limerick told me end of feb. for release. no other info available.

when this does go live, will it be possible to use the phone as a modem? ie - instead of getting broadband in, I could use x-series for general internet use on the pc at home? (I assume movie/music downloading would not be feasible?)

According the 3 in Grafton St -yes.
    According to the T&Cs on the 3UK site -absolutely NOT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

If you want to use it instead of getting broadband, you'd be better off getting a pure data package from 3. These are available now.

I want a Nokia N73 phone. But I'm currently with Meteor pre-pay, who cannot tell me if and when they will have the n73.

I also want broadband and am this close >< to signing up to a fixed line provider, for about 30-40 euro per month.

I can't justify switching to three just for the phone - but if I was to get broadband internet access with it, well then that's a much better proposition. I think I'll hold off on bb until x-series is released and see what the story is...

EDIT:

I just read the UK terms and fair use - what a load of crock. as culabula just said, you can't use phone as modem. And their "unlimited data" is actually limited to 1gb per month - what'll that last, about 2-3 weeks regular surfing just on the phone. (and all of their "unlimited" offerings, are, surprise surprise, limited)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Are you using proposing BB with a laptop?
    I wouldn't hesitate in recommending 3's datacard. Fast, reliable and take-it-with-you.
    I have heard stories of UK people getting huge bills precisely because they ignored the rules and used their mobiles as modems on X-series.
    However, the heads in the 3 shop insisted that Irish users will be able to use X-series as a modem (But I would proceed with caution).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

You'd be hard pressed to push past 1GB phone browsing/email downloading on a phone in fairness.
    It will be relatively slow for one (phone processor, memory limits et al), won't display many sites properly or take an age to load quite a few of them and thats before you possibly run into out of memory errors, and you'd need to be getting a lot of large email attachments on a daily basis to top out a 1GB limit.
    They won't come knocking on your door either if you occasionally top out under fair use policy. Its been referenced here on boards and on xseries blogs et al and general concensus is that its good value for money in a real world setting.

It will be good for looking up and bookmarking pda friendly sites and reference aids without having to worry remotely that you are going to get a nasty bill.

So x-series will be very beneficial I think mainly for the very simple fact that you won't be worried about exessive data charges on your bill at the end of the month. That security alone will demystify phone web browsing for many and finally make it a useful daily tool as many will take the plunge and actually use their phone to its full potential.

It will be great for email on the go. You can set up push functionality thru emoze or other free 3rd party online push clients.. It will be great for downloading RSS feeds on the fly.blogging on the go (vox client for symbian is excellent).. uploading flicker images (compressed for web obviously) and generally availing of all the great network dependent services and applications available for S60 symbian phones. GPS assisted navigation via Nokias new Maploader program will actually be useful for finding your way around now that you won't have to worry about killer costs...

1 GB seems reasonable to me for the money. Just look at what the other networks are offering for chrissakes.

I've given out about 3 in the past many times, they've dicked me around but if they introduce this (in line with UK pricing and on schedule as per their "early 2007" promise) it will be a serious asset for my N73.

It was never designed to be a modem for your laptop. They run a business and thats why they have introduced HSDPA data cards for people who want to use a high speed (and laptop worthy) data connection with relative data allowances.

Advertisement