Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

best HUUUGE estate

Options
  • 10-02-2007 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

The woman who reckons I married her needs to ferry 3 sprogs, 2 buggies, a bike, a tricycle, the kitchen sink and a thousand vietnamese orphans about the place.

We're in the market to spend about 12k, mileage 50-80, age up to 2001 or so.

so far I'm thinking;
    Mondeo estate, huge inside & TDCi is good
    Saab 95 estate, rare, better looking, petrol is a divil for the juice (yeah I'd love the 2.3 Aero but its for the school run & shopping...:rolleyes: )
    Passat; boring, not as big as the others, 1.6 is cheap to run though.
    Audi A6; nicer but pricey
    Peugeot 406; big inside HDi good but its French (had the saloon as a company car for a few months & couldn't fault it - was new though, old ones could be a different story)
    Price rules out the E Class, any others I'm missing? Any experience with this list? Any _VALID_ opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Volvo V70 isn't bad. Not cheap to run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Toyota Camry estate, because bigger is better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

two more missing from the list (for sheer size, anyway)

Citroen C5
    Opel Omega

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

For your budget, I'd reckon the Mondeo Tdci to be your best bet - if you can get the 130bhp one, you wont stop smiling. Rare here, very common in UK.

Peasants suggestion of a C5 is also worth considering, but reliabilty and build quality can be iffy, so they need to be checked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How about this

Make: Renault
    Model: Megane Sport Tourer DY
    Engine: 1.6 Petrol
    Bodytype: Estate
    Transmission: Manual
    Price: €11,750
    Year: 2004
    Colour: Silver
    Mileage: 30,000 miles / 48,280 kilometres

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=540093

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

DonJose wrote:
    How about this

Make: Renault
    Model: Megane Sport Tourer DY
    Engine: 1.6 Petrol
    Bodytype: Estate
    Transmission: Manual
    Price: €11,750
    Year: 2004
    Colour: Silver
    Mileage: 30,000 miles / 48,280 kilometres

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=540093

Too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Theres also Hyundai Sante Fe.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

okay, in chronological order,
    1970's Oldsmobile Vista cruiser -
    Pro's: absolutely mahoosive (almost 20 feet long)
    up to nine adult passenger capacity (3 bench seats)
    room for several surfboards!!
    Cons: horrendous thirst for the "small" engine (5.7 litre) and then for the bigger one (7.4 litre).... well you'd want your own oil well!!

1980's Mercedes 200 - very long-lived and comfortable and very very cheap at the moment!! again, economy is not a strong suit.
    the last of the line Volvo 240 estates (1987-1990) are fantastically big, plenty of passenger space, with that extra row of seats that fold up from the boot floor, and are VERY VERY safe AND reliable!! cheap as you want too. I've seen several of the very best condition ones barely make €3,000!!
    bit thirsty though, but not in the leagues of the Oldsmobile!!
    Finally for the more modern estate, in my opinion there is the Opel Vectra. doesn't seem to be that many around though. the newer ones are even bigger than the Mondeo estate and have equally good turbodiesel engines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Volvo V40 you should benifit from the poor residuals. :D

120 bhp diesel version is a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Volvo V70 isn't bad. Not cheap to run though.

I'll second the V70.

If was in the market for large estate I'd be seriously considering either the V70 or a 5 Series Touring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My safrane has th e2.5 20v engine from the V70. Smashing engine.

If you can find one, the 2.5 safrane is very spacious, boot is yowage. Also the most comfortable car I've been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Don't forget the Skoda Octavia - even the normal hatchback has a huge boot - certainly pees on the Mondeo any day

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

13 posts. We're starting to get better folks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

You're unlikely to find one other than this one....It's a big V70, didn't sell very well, but slightly bigger....and more old skool Volvo with the HUUUUUGE dipped nose. Should be a lot cheaper than that though

If you can afford to run the 2.9lengine

Otherwise I'd say V70....my mother always wanted one (well a 960/850 estate) but could never afford the running cost (or justify it with just me to ferry around)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Mitsubishi Galant?

Huuuge boot, good spec and you should have no probs bringing one in from the UK well under your budget.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Shrimp wrote:

A shade over the €12k budget though I think. :)

I'd go for either the Mondeo estate , the V70 or the A6 Avant depending on what floats your boat.

Here's one that could be reasonable fun:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=554616

(Woops, I just noticed who's selling it :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How about car in my sig....although not at your budget, but below others of same age, due to mileage..?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement