Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets, should they need to ask me this??

Options
  • 10-02-2007 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭

Was at my dogs relatively new vet the other day for a very minor thing. I was telling him9again) that the dog has the occasional seizure, triggered by certain foods only so no need for medication as the seizures are quite rare.

He made a point of telling me how importantto make sure to remind him of this if the dog ever needed surgary for his prostate or whatever....

Surely this is in the dogs file and he would go through all this before even seeing the dog, never mind put him under for surgery...???? :confused:

Should I try another vet??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Considering the chaos of most vets' files, no. At least this guy is being honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭karlin

Why would you want another vet when you have one that is being extra sure he never unintentionally harms your dog? :) Sounds like a good vet for stressing this. Vet surgeries have hundreds to thousands of patients -- even if it is on his chart it is good to always remind vet of ANY key health issue like this that could affect the approach they take to anaesthesia or medications.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I think it's a good thing that the vet said that to you - you are now aware of the importance of telling any other vet you might see about it too :) I think it's good that this was stessed to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

You'll have to remind him I'm afraid, computer files are forever getting mixed up. Human errors can always be made too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The vet is just telling you because it is very important, even if it is in a file it is easy for something like that to be missed or files to be misplaced....

Some drugs if given to your dog actually could cause a seizure, and it could be fatal...

Ask him about flea and worming treatments as some of these can affect some dogs badly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Good vet imo... They are human and mistakes can be made. Anyone who has a pet with any kind of illness should alwasy be aware and remind the vet/nurse when ever needed. Also any owners with pets on long term meds should take a note od dosages and names of drugs. I would need a lot of extra fingers to count the amount of clients who have no idea what meds their pets are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

True, true, true!

Thanks all! :)

Advertisement