Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total newbie

Options
  • 10-02-2007 7:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi please dont laugh!

i recently bought a mac and a few ppl have told me i must get into WOW. However i know very little about it other than its a massive online strategy/rpg.

I dont think a simliar post has been posted before (apologies if i missed it)

Could someone talk me through what it involves, what i need to get started and average monthly costs?

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

faceman wrote:
    please dont laugh!
    Hahahahahaha!!!

Anyway... A quick rundown of WoW is that it is a game world where you can log on to a server, along with thousands of other players. There are basically three different 'aspects' of gameplay: PvE solo, PvE grouped and PvP (PvE = player v environment, PvP = player versus player). None of these aspects of the game are mandatory, but recommended if you want to get the most from the game.

If you have played any RPG before, you could have guessed that you need to level up your character to progress through the game, and levelling up is done by gaining experience points through killing monsters and completing quests. When starting, choose a race and class (ask your friends if they are playing already for recommendations and which server to play on) to begin. FYI, there are 2 in-game warring factions, the horde and alliance, and each has certain races to begin with. If your friends are horde, you should play horde too, otherwise you will not be able to play alongside or communicate in-game with them.

Subscription is around the €12/month mark, but varies depending on which deal you choose. I'm too lazy to get a price on the game, but whatever price it is, you get 1 month free and a 10-day free trial. As you might have read in another thread, you will need to download 2 years worth of patches once the game is installed, and I'm not sure how big the total size would be, but it could be around 1.5gb. Also, the new expansion pack has been released a few weeks ago, so I would recommend you buy this too.

Anyway, I can't really explain much more than this without you actually playing or knowing more about the game. But IMO it is a fantastically involving game (sometimes too involving) and would recommend it to anybody looking for a new multiplayer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Hahahahahaha!!!

Anyway... A quick rundown of WoW is that it is a game world where you can log on to a server, along with thousands of other players. There are basically three different 'aspects' of gameplay: PvE solo, PvE grouped and PvP (PvE = player v environment, PvP = player versus player). None of these aspects of the game are mandatory, but recommended if you want to get the most from the game.

If you have played any RPG before, you could have guessed that you need to level up your character to progress through the game, and levelling up is done by gaining experience points through killing monsters and completing quests. When starting, choose a race and class (ask your friends if they are playing already for recommendations and which server to play on) to begin. FYI, there are 2 in-game warring factions, the horde and alliance, and each has certain races to begin with. If your friends are horde, you should play horde too, otherwise you will not be able to play alongside or communicate in-game with them.

Subscription is around the €12/month mark, but varies depending on which deal you choose. I'm too lazy to get a price on the game, but whatever price it is, you get 1 month free and a 10-day free trial. As you might have read in another thread, you will need to download 2 years worth of patches once the game is installed, and I'm not sure how big the total size would be, but it could be around 1.5gb. Also, the new expansion pack has been released a few weeks ago, so I would recommend you buy this too.

Anyway, I can't really explain much more than this without you actually playing or knowing more about the game. But IMO it is a fantastically involving game (sometimes too involving) and would recommend it to anybody looking for a new multiplayer game.

/points up
    /say what he siad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thanks LordC, i will pencil it over the next few days.

Another silly question - is it easy for a newbie to get into it?

faceman wrote:
    Thanks LordC, i will pencil it over the next few days.

Another silly question - is it easy for a newbie to get into it?

Yes, most definatly! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

One note on the 2 years worth of patches...

If you purchase the full game which retails for €17.99ish, afair and the expansion which goes for €34.99 then you get the majority of the 2 years of patches on the expansion CD which are installed automatically. You then need a couple of months worth of patches which is ~650Mb.

Still takes a while but its not as bad as he made it sound ;)
    Otherwise LordC is spot on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It was the first RPG and MMO game I ever played, and I was hooked after an hour of playing it. But if you sit down beside somebody else thats playing it and watch them, you won't be able to figure out what theyre doing, as it will look like a load of button clicking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i would get the trial first,to see how you like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Frederico

faceman wrote:
    Hi please dont laugh!

i recently bought a mac and a few ppl have told me i must get into WOW. However i know very little about it other than its a massive online strategy/rpg.

I dont think a simliar post has been posted before (apologies if i missed it)

Could someone talk me through what it involves, what i need to get started and average monthly costs?

Much appreciated!

The truth..

Its a very addictive game played by mostly 15 to 25 year old computer savy males, nerds if you will. If/When you start playing you will notice very quickly that 1 hour a day isn't enough, 2 hours a day aren't enough, the game is simple yet hugely complex, so much to learn.

Few people manage to play this game 'lightly'. Anybody I know who plays is a heavy user. It affects their social life drastically. They eat worse, sleep less. They literally dream of never having to go to college or work so that they can sit in a room and play this game all day long. In fact, if that situation arises, then they will, literally, sit in a room and play this game all day long.

I am a smoker, and as much as I abhor it and love it, I will try and get you to smoke aswell, and anyone else I can.

I've witnessed this game turn normal guys into dirty antisocial pasty faced nerds.. but please.. by all means.. feel free to 'try it out'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

What Frederico said, also if you are smart you will notice its all just a grind that leads nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

tuxy wrote:
    What Frederico said, also if you are smart you will notice its all just a grind that leads nowhere.

BUT BUT BUT.... EPIX!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

everything said already but before you do anything, say farewell to life as you know it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tuxy wrote:

BUT BUT BUT... Ganking newbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Tried it for 6 hours or so. Got incredibly bored. Uninstalled it.

Probably a good thing for my social life (read: Xbox 360!!).

Funny thing is that my girlfriend bought it for me!

chrislad wrote:
    Funny thing is that my girlfriend bought it for me!

Lol, agreed! :D

Advertisement