Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Need help with 3g broadband!!!

• 10-02-2007 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I recently got a Vodafone 3G data card from a friend and the card was made in 2003.On the data connection manager I got 2 or 3 bars of signal out of 5 in 3G.The connection was very erratic, sometimes the download was 200 kb a sec and upload was 50kb/sec and other times I was getting no signal. I went outside with my laptop and pointed the external antenna towards my nearest town (about 3 miles away) that has 3g broadband coverage, This external antenna came with the data card and I imagine it isn’t that strong an antenna. Outside I was getting very solid download and upload speed ,enough to look at streaming videos. my question now is that if I get a new Vodafone usb broadband modem or datacard would I be able to get a stable broadband connection using powerful external antenna? An external antenna like the one listed here
    http://www.saswireless.ltd.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=71

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try asking on Broadband or Comms forums. 200k is not bad for Vodaphone system. It is a mobile internet connection rather than true broadband (pings too high and unlikely to get even 200k if there is much contention (mayn other users).

If it works better outside, then an outdoor 3G aerial will help, but:
    * cable length has to be very short
    * Must be correct band or it will not work. £G may be on different bands in some countries. Make sure not just 3G but correct band.
    * need to use 15mm, 20mm or larger diameter 2GHz rated low loss 50 Ohm coax for downlead to adaptor tail. This is not cheap.
    * It won't help putting external aerial when more people signup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 fdiddy

watty wrote:
    Try asking on Broadband or Comms forums. 200k is not bad for Vodaphone system. It is a mobile internet connection rather than true broadband (pings too high and unlikely to get even 200k if there is much contention (mayn other users).

If it works better outside, then an outdoor 3G aerial will help, but:
    * cable length has to be very short
    * Must be correct band or it will not work. £G may be on different bands in some countries. Make sure not just 3G but correct band.
    * need to use 15mm, 20mm or larger diameter 2GHz rated low loss 50 Ohm coax for downlead to adaptor tail. This is not cheap.
    * It won't help putting external aerial when more people signup.

can you recommend the gear i need to get?also do vodafone have a 14 day return policy if it doesnt work?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Interesting post as I'm about a similar distance from my nearest Vodafone 3G mast. Do you have line of sight to your nearest town or are there obstacles?

My nearest mast is uphill from me so I'd be interested to know if that makes a difference?

When I asked Vodafone they said they don't have a 14 day return policy. Planning to ask 3 what the situation is with their card when I get a moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jrey1981 wrote:
    When I asked Vodafone they said they don't have a 14 day return policy. Planning to ask 3 what the situation is with their card when I get a moment...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/generic/3gbroadband_returns.jsp

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Commander Vimes...I wonder if 3 have the same policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

jrey1981 wrote:
    Thanks for that Commander Vimes...I wonder if 3 have the same policy.

Yes, they do.

You seem in the know about these things...

Do 3 use Vodafone's 3G masts or do they have their own?

If yes, then it doesn't really matter which one I try...it's just I have a nasty feeling that where I'm living is out of range of the mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

3 have their own 3G masts.

Thanks Urban. With O2 rolling out 3G as well I should one day be covered...it's just a question of when!

Are there any updated maps showing whose masts are where? There was one showing the locations of 2G/2.5G masts at one stage, but it'd be good if there was one showing the 3G ones as they roll out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Vodafone and 3 both have 3G coverage maps on their respective web sites, the Vodafone one being of particular accuracy, even showing small towns and so on.

O2's map only shows 2G coverage, as far as I know (I may be wrong, but that's what it showed the last time I looked at it). There's also a site viewer on ComReg's web site, but it's horribly out of date.

Yep I think it was the site viewer on Comreg's site I looked at before.

I might try looking at the Voda one to see if anything has changed.

3 say that they met their 85% population commitment earlier than promised, so I'm wondering if the rollout is continuing or whether they've stopped at that.

I will try and get in touch with them to see what the story is. Tempted to give O2 a shout as well.

Advertisement