Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky without phoneline

Options
  • 10-02-2007 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi,
    Is it possible to get SKY digital installed if the house doesn't have a phone line?

Comments

I think you need to buy the equipment if there is no line available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

In dixons where I work, we will do the sky installation if you don't have a phonw line, but there is a special installation fee

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Swingking is correct,

had this "problem" in a rented property before christmas
    you can install the Sky equipment without a "landline"
    the cost for the service is 37euro from any Sky Dealer

no extra or special equipment is required

a pint of plain is yer only man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Does anyone know why Sky insist on a landline and why it is necessary to charge an additional fee if there is no line present?

I moved house about 18 months ago and had Sky in the previous house. I left the dish behind. After some, er, grief, with NTL in the new house I decide to go back to Sky. I hadn't closed my account, but I had reduced to €1 per month just to keep the account open. When I rang them to have a new dish installed in the new house, they did it for free! I'd no landline at the time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sky insist on a landline because they need to check the box is installed where it should be, especially in the case of multiroom as what's stopping your neighbour connecting to your sky dish and getting free sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

^^ Fair enough. But they'll 'overlook' it if you pay a higher installation fee.

I assume the landline location is verified at installation. So whats to stop the neighbour getting sky for free once installation has been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

The reason for the phone line is so that you can use interactive services (games, voting etc) and things like sky box office movies and events. Sky expect to make a certain level of income from these sorts of services. The €37 must be the magic revenue average that they would be forgoing. It is required for multiroom to ensure that the two boxes are installed on the one premises. They wont discount for multiroom without a phone line.

Advertisement