Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about Waterford?

• 10-02-2007 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

As a Waterford person living here all my life im 26,Ive come to love a lot of things about waterford,i woz born and bread in larchville but now im living in barracks st ,and i can safely say Ive seen a lot and done a lot here over the years,and i cant see myself doing much more.

So a few years ago i decided to leave Waterford and spread my wings,and now in march I'm finally doing it,and its going to be very hard for me to leave Waterford and go to australia and try and make that my home,because its not going to be easy to call somewhere else other than Waterford my home.

But its going to be done,and there's lots and lots of things ill miss about this beautiful city,like the littles things as in wlr,the munster,town,larchville,barracks st,spraoi,and a lot of other things i probably wont realise till I'm gone.

Im just thinking what do other waterford people love about this great city?

The five things ill miss the most (apart from family) :

1: capri suns
    2: blaas ( of course )
    3: johnny walkers/dannys
    4: the munster/news & star/waterford today
    5: spaoi

And a lot more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

I'm currently living abroad and was a bit like you before I left, sad about the things I was going to miss and my family being left behind. I grew up in Waterford and have always loved it and thought I would miss it every day....but I don't. Ok I'll give you the capri suns alright I'd love some of those but wlr I never liked, the local newspapers personally I thought were pure useless so i just stopped reading them and I've since heard that Shakedown is to be no more (any truth in this?).

When you get to Australia everything will be new, you'll be busy getting set up and meeting new people and you won't have time to miss Waterford all the time, you might get nostalgic every now and again but you'll probably realise there is a lot more out there in the world. I've seen the other threads about being bored and nothing to do in Waterford which reminds me of how I used to feel so its great to wake up in the morning now and think of the hundreds of things I could possibly do with my day off. Get yourself set up with Skype and you wont miss the family either I'm constantly on to mine so it doesn't feel like they are far away at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

I'm currently living abroad and was a bit like you before I left, sad about the things I was going to miss and my family being left behind. I grew up in Waterford and have always loved it and thought I would miss it every day....but I don't. Ok I'll give you the capri suns alright I'd love some of those but wlr I never liked, the local newspapers personally I thought were pure useless so i just stopped reading them and I've since heard that Shakedown is to be no more (any truth in this?).

When you get to Australia everything will be new, you'll be busy getting set up and meeting new people and you won't have time to miss Waterford all the time, you might get nostalgic every now and again but you'll probably realise there is a lot more out there in the world. I've seen the other threads about being bored and nothing to do in Waterford which reminds me of how I used to feel so its great to wake up in the morning now and think of the hundreds of things I could possibly do with my day off. Get yourself set up with Skype and you wont miss the family either I'm constantly on to mine so it doesn't feel like they are far away at all.

Yes shakedown and musiklab are finishing on 17/2/07.

im not mad on wlr or the newspapers but there a part of waterford as everything else is,and im sure ill miss them,how much i wont know till im gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I've lived in Australia and Germany as well as in Dublin, and in my opinion Waterford is not lacking overall. What is missing in one area, like shopping facilities (improving) and cinemas in there in abundance in other areas such great amenities (beaches/mountains, etc.), a sense of culture and history, and so on. It's swings and roundabouts.

In any case, I've come to see the world as a very globalised place. It doesn't really matter where you live anymore. Most people in Ireland could travel the whole way around the world and back on less than a month's salary, so even Australia is not *that* far away anymore (although it is a lot more hassle to get there than most places). You might as well be in Waterford as anywhere. You can be in Dublin in a few hours by car, bus or train; you can be in London or Manchester in a few hours by plane; and from these places you can go almost anywhere. The whole world uses the same music players, the same computers, the same internet, the same phones, often the same fast food, follow similar fads, and so on.

The only thing about leaving is, and I hate to break it to the poster who started the thread, nobody will 100% get where you are coming from except a Waterford person (or a *maybe* another Irish person). ;) Travel is a very good thing though.

[QUOTE=

The only thing about leaving is, and I hate to break it to the poster who started the thread, nobody will 100% get where you are coming from except a Waterford person (or a *maybe* another Irish person). ;) Travel is a very good thing though.[/QUOTE]

Im asking Waterford people what they love about waterford,to be honest i don't care what the other county's love,ive been around the world also and even though Waterford doesn't have the same Appeal as Miami or Paris or wherever, from a waterford persons point of view its a great place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

derdoh wrote:
    from a waterford persons point of view its a great place.

From the way people bitch on about it here, you wouldnt think so. :D

The only thing that I would miss if I left Waterford is the easy going nature of poeple, and Resonant.

No offense to everybody/everything else. ;)

• Advertisement

Ive seen and as i a said already a lot of bad things in waterford a lot more than id like to talk about.

But even with the things Ive seen and done over the years i still and no Matter what country im in,be proud of to say I'm Irish and foremost from waterford.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

The only thing good about waterford,(and i mean only thing good) are the surrounding beaches ie woodstown, tramore,and the like :rolleyes: .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Well technically you will still be able to keep up with the local media when in Oz so you wont be missing out on too much there , I was'nt aware Capri Suns were a Waterford thing so you might be alright there as well , the one thing I always miss on my travels is the large bottle off the shelf its your only man! Oh yeah dont forget the crap weather and walking downtown and thinking you're in Eastern Europe with the amount of foreign accents ! You're probably better off getting out of here because in a couple of years this country is going to be gone rapidly downhill anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Capri sun is not a waterford thing, you can get that in dublin at least anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

everything!:d

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

You can get Capri Sun everywhere, Ireland, the UK, Germany, they have a nice cherry flavour one in Germany. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

Good luck in Oz - what a great adventure.

5 things I love in Waterford -
    Sunday coffee concerts in St Olafs
    swimming in Dunmore East
    walking in Woodstown
    driving over the bridge and along the quays at night
    the library in town

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

Alas there are no Capri Suns in Canada but I've given this things about Waterford that are good some thought:

1. I agree with Kitty_Kilkenny coming over the bridge at night when the quays are lit up is really nice.

2. Geoffs

3. People aren't as pretentious as you find in other places, general laid back feeling in Waterford is nice.

4. The coastline

5. Summer time - weather is good everyones happy, and spraoi is always good.

Don't fancy going back there right now but when I do I'll probably see all the things I missed without even realising it. When they said Waterford people were the most miserable in Ireland in that Irish Times report its probably because most of us don't realise how good we've got it (which includes me).

Alas there are no Capri Suns in Canada but I've given this things about Waterford that are good some thought:

1. I agree with Kitty_Kilkenny coming over the bridge at night when the quays are lit up is really nice.

2. Geoffs

3. People aren't as pretentious as you find in other places, general laid back feeling in Waterford is nice.

4. The coastline

5. Summer time - weather is good everyones happy, and spraoi is always good.

Don't fancy going back there right now but when I do I'll probably see all the things I missed without even realising it. When they said Waterford people were the most miserable in Ireland in that Irish Times report its probably because most of us don't realise how good we've got it (which includes me).

There is an assumption that all Waterford people have, that things are crap in Waterford, and are at least as good, if not better, elsewhere. Except in a few instances, this really isin't the case. The quality of life in Waterford is unreal.

And despite the attitude being a bit negative sometimes, people don't behave negatively. Waterford people are in general a very laid back and fun loving race of people, which a hilarious sense of humour. :) You wouldn't get the same level of wit in Dublin, for example. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭kitty_kilkenny

EH.....I don't think so!
    The one big similarity between Dublin and Waterford people is the wit.
    Dry, black and wickedly funny :D
    I've lived in Kildare and Kilkenny for years - and the sense of humour is very different (and not as funny in my opinion). :confused:

Another thing I love about Waterford is that you can fly to London without entering the seventh level of hell (Dublin).

EH.....I don't think so!
    The one big similarity between Dublin and Waterford people is the wit.
    Dry, black and wickedly funny :D
    I've lived in Kildare and Kilkenny for years - and the sense of humour is very different (and not as funny in my opinion). :confused:

Another thing I love about Waterford is that you can fly to London without entering the seventh level of hell (Dublin).

I lived in Dublin for nearly 10 years and I didn't find most of the population to have the same level of wit, or most likely that they just more straight up. They seem to feel uncomfortable in the presence of risque humour, also. If you confined yourself to the working class areas of Dublin you'd probably see more of this though. :)

In Waterford you also have that dangerous sort of messing, otherwise known as gowling, where if you don't have your wits about you, you'll be at the butt of pub jokes for the next half an hour. :D

Also filthy Waterford humour is the filthiest and nastiest I have ever come across! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

1) Spraoi
    2) Blas
    3) Storm Cinemas
    4) Johnny Fans
    5) Proximity to the coast

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

smdweb wrote:
    1) Spraoi
    2) Blas
    3) Storm Cinemas
    4) Johnny Fans
    5) Proximity to the coast

You know that Storm Cinemas are located in FIVE other places on the Island of Ireland, Waterford being the 6th and last one to be opened. :)

Hardly specific to Waterford, the old cinema was though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like the fact its not as bad as it used to be!

Back in the day (late 70s early 80s) this town was d-e-a-d to the world. Still is to a degree of course but I'd sooner 'light under a bushel' than end up like Galway with its permenant "lets have a hoolie" mentality.

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford is nice and busy to a point, but it lacks a decent selection of places to eat and somewhere other then a pub you can go on saturday night.

It needs some late night opening cafe's, where you can just get yourself a coffee and chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

When I was younger Café Luna would be open until about 3am which was great !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

Waterford really is the forgotten city and county, but it's better that way for us living down here...

My favourites are

a) The culture: Slang (such as shellakybookies, gallybanders), Food (such as Blaas, Dilisk, Crubeens, Skirt and Kidney, Chucks, Loin Bones etc., Hurlin', Soccer, Humour

b) History: City Walls, 1000+ year old identity, fabulous buildings in city and county, round tower Ardmore, Ballysaggartmore Towers, Dolmens, Castles etc.

c) People: Legends like Tom Cheasty, Sean Kelly, Edmund Rice, TF Meagher (man who invented the Irish Flag), Luke Wadding (started Paddy's day), Robert Boyle (Father of Chemistry), ETS Walton (only Irish winner of Nobel prize for science and first man to split the atom)

d) Beauty (40+ beaches, 2 mountain ranges, corrie lakes such as coumshingaun and crotty's lakes, magic hill, woodland and river walks)

e) Cos das de why!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I was never bitten by the travel bug per se but I haven't lived at home for more than 6 months at a time since I was 18 and now I'm settled in Laois I can't see myself moving home (but I'm still proud of being from da Déise). I miss walks along the beach on a crisp winter/autumn day and exploring the sandhills but I haven't been swimming since I was a child so I won't miss the beach for that. :D Driving along the coastline in Waterford is fabulous and the scenery on main road to Dungarvan is pretty special as well. I appreciate the county more when I go back to visit that's for sure. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

Blaa's blaa's
    but there doesn't seem to be enough of them these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

1. Geoffs
    2. Coney Island
    3. Driving along the Quay at night (It's quite Kewl)
    4......Leaving :P

Advertisement