Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Socks, Jocks and Shirts

• 10-02-2007 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey Peeps,

Just trying to get some feedback on what Im sure are a few fashion related items. Im a practical person down to the ground so style and looking good doesnt rank high on my list of important things but I know its having an adverse affect on how Im perceived by others esp women. So Im hoping a few pointers might help.

When to tuck in a shirt or not? I used to tuck shirts in until I got told it was a major fashion faupax but Ive noticed alot of guys still do it and from my perspective it seems fine. I think broad guys carry it off much better.

Matching socks?? WTF :( when are socks matching? I just wear black socks, mind you I wear mostly jeans but what should your socks be matchin - shoes, trousers, belt, top?

This one is for the ladies - do you pay attention to what underwear a guy has on be it boxers or briefs etc. I only wear loose cotton boxers and have done for years so used to alot of freedom. Whats the difference between boxers and briefs - where the hell did the boxer/brief hybrid come from?

Anon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I, myself would never tuck a shirt in(unless im wearing somethin over it).it just doesn't look right IMO.
    With jeans I tend to wear black,blue,dark blue or grey socks.Otherwise i just wear black.
    Every so often I like to invest in a nice pair of boxers e.g Calvin Klein.Brown Thomas do a very good selection of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

As long as socks don't stand out as being particularly unmatching (ie. bright white) you're grand tbh, black is preferable. Tucking shirts in is a no-no, and I like having the odd pair of designer boxers, but not they're not necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I tend to tuck in my shirt, I've been spending too much time around my aul lad who always does it aswell.

Personally I don't care what people think about it.

As for matching sock, given the fact I nearly always wear black jeans & black boots, black socks tend to fit in well nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Tucking shirts in is a no-no

This is entirely subjective. It not only depends on what age you are, but also the context. I read an hilarious psuedo-academic piece in Style magazine recently (The Sunday Times), which scoffed at the fashion of young men wearing shirts loose, describing the flapping tails of the garment as replicating the fanned tail of a peacock strutting around - and that the unhindered ends hanging about are most uncouth and lacking in sophistication, especially in light of the gradual progress made over the past three centuries in getting us to the neat and efficient state of today.

Whilst deliberately provocative, there is an element of truth to this. A loose shirt worn in anything beyond even a semi-formal occasion is too casual in my book. I suppose what has to be borne in mind is that shirts are becoming increasingly neat and tailored on account of this fashion, so things are changing. But generally a loose shirt is more suited to a night in the pub, informal restaurant, family event at home etc, than anything beyond that.

Also age is a factor - it's much worse to see an older, say 35+, man wearing a loose shirt, pretty much anywhere. Without question the older you get, the more occasions a loose shirt is inappropriate.

But there's no doubting they look great, and conversely to above they look very smart in casual settings - heck I'm wearing one now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I wear shirts tucked in at work, but those shirts are nice enough to wear going out and then I have them untucked.

Matching socks?, well I have coloured socks, I just got sick of having all black and navy. Sometimes I match them to tops I'm wearing, I get a bit of slagging but I dont really care.

The boxer brief is cool, but I love briefs, the tight ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 A.Anon

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the feedback - much appreciated. I am still somewhat confused on the issue of shirt-tucking. I think I should have perhaps clarified that
    when tucking in a shirt it would for me be somewhat of a formal occasion so for example lets say dinner in resteraunt I would be inclined to wear a sligthly dark baby blue Tommy Hillfiger shirt tucked in at the waist and folded out about 3/4" with a pair of single pleat bage slacks, brown leather shoes and belt. Depending on the resteraunt, the company or the context (e.g. business meeting) I would swap the more casual shirt for a double cuff and a tie.

What about tucking in T-Shirts? I constantly have the problem of finding something thats broad enough for my shoulders but as a result is rediculously long (6-10) inches below my belt. Tucking the T-Shirt in and folding it out makes it seem ok or is T-Shirt tucking also a big NO NO

I prefer to wear a loose shirt esp short sleeved shirt but again dress up or down according to the occasion. Long sleeved sharp cut shirt for pub/club and short sleeved shirt for a more casual and relaxed. Which brings me to my next question - has the line between formal and casual blurred.

From my perspective it seems that casual and in-fashion (like all these clothes that has this ripped effect) is the new formal and unless its a work do or something very formal (wedding etc) then people tend to wear casual clothes. For example it seems the new shirt for the pub is a polo-shirt?

What should your socks be matchin - shoes, trousers, belt, top?

AA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Say NO to tucking in t-shirts!
    :eek:

As far as shirts go - if your trousers are any more formal than jeans (chinos/slacks etc) I would tuck them in.
    You could also tuck into a nice pair of jeans (no rips etc)

It also depends on the person - my mister would look a bit odd with his shirt loose.

ALWAYS wear a belt!

On the jocks note - personally I find briefs very offputting. I think I would actually laugh if I saw them on a bloke.
    Boxers are first for me. If you are trim - you can get away with those tight jersey ones.

Forget about matching your socks to anything! Screams 'Mammy's boy'. Just buy shed loads of black.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i disagree about not worrying about your socks matching, black are fine with black shoes and you should never wear anything else with them really. but in the outfit you describe above brown shoes, belt and beige trousers, black socks are going to look silly. In general if your socks should not clash with your shoes and belt rather than 'go' with them. eg you wouldn't wear a black belt or shoes with beige trousers and a blue shirt so you shouldn't wear black socks with them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭dublad23

Aussie Bums are Hot!

Get them of the website as they are double the price in Brown Thomas

www.aussiebum.com

Advertisement