Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox 360 and firewall

• 10-02-2007 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi trying to get xbox 360 up and running on xbox live. Managed to do it but only with firewall turned off. when I turn it back on i cant connect. im using the netopia wireless router (one in bargain alerts for €25 and supplied by eircom :D ). I have gone into custom services in the menu and clicked the xbox live games tag and still no connection. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's been many threads about the router. Set the firewall on low and it should work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Setting your firewall on low then leaves your PC more vulnerable, is there no other way around it?It's all well and good having a good software firewall on your PC but without a hardware firewall to back it up it's not much use.
    I never had to change any firewall settings with my Wii or my mates PS3.

What about your mates 360's??? Oh yeah I forgot you don't come on this forum to offer any help for Xbox users, instead you gloat about how much you hate MS and stick by your PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thanks for the reply, ill stick it on low as you say, I thought there might have been another way to configure it but leaving it on the medium settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

kensutz wrote:
    What about your mates 360's??? Oh yeah I forgot you don't come on this forum to offer any help for Xbox users, instead you gloat about how much you hate MS and stick by your PS3.

QFT

Or are you here for help with your 360 Acecard?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kensutz wrote:

SNAP, ha ha ha ha that is right on the money.

Nice one K :D

Sher everyone knows the PS3 has a bigger mickey than the 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's all well and good having a good software firewall on your PC but without a hardware firewall to back it up it's not much use.
    PS3.

What are you talking about? Although a hardware firewall is preferable over a software one because it's more secure saying that having only a software firewall is not much use is in essence retarded.

Quick, format that harddrive and install UNIX because Windows is such a security threat it's not much use having it.

I have my router firewall turned off and just use a software one (Kerio), haven't encountered a single problem.

Makaveli wrote:
    Although a hardware firewall is preferable over a software one because it's more secure saying that having only a software firewall is not much use is in essence retarded.

I wasn't going to turn around and assume this guy was a computer security wizz and speak to him about a firewall's ins and outs and levels of protection with and without a hardware firewall, and that's assuming he isn't just running the poxy Windows Firewall.I admit I worded my post badly, but I wasn't wrong in saying he would be more vulnerable.
    Makaveli wrote:
    Quick, format that harddrive and install UNIX because Windows is such a security threat it's not much use having it.

Yeah because the masses and masses of Windows users are going to go and switch operating systems to something brand new and use that.
    We both now all the Linux variations are quite different to windows on terms of compatibility.People like to stick to the familiar and to what the majority use.

I would love if everyone would switch to Linux, although I would lose a considerable amount of business as most people who's computer I repair have Virus troubles.And aside from that even a simple format and fresh install of Windows isn't the most desired move for a lot of people as loss of data can be an issue.And even formatting and re-installing windows doesn't always get rid of some of the nasties out there now (Rootkits) you have to use a program to Zero fill the drive.
    Makaveli wrote:
    I have my router firewall turned off and just use a software one (Kerio), haven't encountered a single problem.

I use Kerio also, great firewall:D
    But I still leave my routers hardware firewall on to be safe.
    kensutz wrote:
    What about your mates 360's??? Oh yeah I forgot you don't come on this forum to offer any help for Xbox users, instead you gloat about how much you hate MS and stick by your PS3

I don't come on to help 360 users?
    I don't have a 360 and haven't hooked one up to the internet myself so how could I help?I merely mentioned that lowering the security on his routers firewall was a bad idea in my opinion.

I don't hold anything against X-Box owners, it's their choice what consoles they buy and play.But I can't offer help on something I'm not sure of.

And you're right, I do hate Micro$oft.
    There are many reasons for this, but I have a feeling getting them off my chest here wouldn't be wise as I may as well tell the wall.

I don't see why you chose to attack me like that, in fairness I just gave my 2 cents on this situation, you don't have to agree if you don't want to.

Look troll, I'm aware of your posts and they've always had an animosity towards Xbox and Microsoft. I think other users are aware of this fact also so please stick to your Playstation and Wii forum please.

Nintendo forum tbh. :p
    Yeah because the masses and masses of Windows users are going to go and switch operating systems to something brand new and use that.
    We both now all the Linux variations are quite different to windows on terms of compatibility.People like to stick to the familiar and to what the majority use.

I should have used the [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote:
    Look troll, I'm aware of your posts and they've always had an animosity towards Xbox and Microsoft. I think other users are aware of this fact also so please stick to your Playstation and Wii forum please.

How am I a troll for saying that I didn't agree about turning his firewall setting to low?I never said he had to listen to me, or that he shouldn't play his 360 because of it.

And as I said before, I'm not a fan of Micro$oft or the X-box, and that's my right to have that opinion, you know as well as I do I hardly ever post in this forum.
    I sometimes have views on certain things that I express, whether I'm listened to or agreed with or not is besides the point, I have a right as a member of the board to post where I like.

I'm not trying to start an argument or make any beef between us, or me and anyone else on the board.but as long as I haven't broken any rules I can post in any section I like.

I honestly don't understand why you're taking my view on a console personally, I'm some stranger on the internet and my posts are bothering you to the extent that you want me exiled from the section altogether.

I don't come on to help 360 users?
    I don't have a 360 and haven't hooked one up to the internet myself so how could I help?I merely mentioned that lowering the security on his routers firewall was a bad idea in my opinion.

You don't have an Xbox 360? Well look what I found here

Was a gift, and what's your point anyway?
    I don't count that as owning it as I'm getting rid of it right away.

Was a gift, and what's your point anyway?
    I don't count that as owning it as I'm getting rid of it right away.

AceCard Jones you obviously love PS (nothing wrong with that) but when you come on here and say you don't own a 360 when you clearly do, it doesn't reflect you or your opinion in the best light.

Each console/brand has its merrits. On line systems/stores, exclusive titles, pricing, formats.

I don't dislike Playstation consoles but i hate Sony, as a result if i ever buy any Sony products in the future they will be second hand as not to help them in any way.

I own a 360, a Wii and will one day probably own a second hand PS3.

People react badly when you shoot down one brand. You don't like M$ and a lot of people here don't like $ony.

Are you really surprised such a staunch supporter of Sony (all one has to do is look at the playstation forum as evidence) has gotten such an icey reception in the xbox forum

Vegeta wrote:
    AceCard Jones you obviously love PS (nothing wrong with that) but when you come on here and say you don't own a 360 when you clearly do, it doesn't reflect you or your opinion in the best light.

I like the Playstation brand and I like the Nintendo Brand, I have my reasons for not liking the Micro$oft brand,I didn't buy the 360 it was given to me as a gift, I don't have one by choice, and even if I did how would that make my posts any more or less valid?
    Vegeta wrote:
    I don't dislike Playstation consoles but i hate Sony, as a result if i ever buy any Sony products in the future they will be second hand as not to help them in any way.

I also have no interest in the Sony brand, I am interested in the Playstation brand,I choose Philips as my main brand for all my other electrical needs (TV's Sound Systems, DVD Burners etc) these people put bloody rootkits on a music CD for God's sake, I certainly don't like them.
    Vegeta wrote:
    People react badly when you shoot down one brand. You don't like M$ and a lot of people here don't like $ony.

And that's my opinion (Which I have a right to) and that's their opinion (Which they also have a right to) I haven't debated this point once.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Are you really surprised such a staunch supporter of Sony (all one has to do is look at the playstation forum as evidence) has gotten such an icey reception in the xbox forum

No not really, but I'm not a supporter of Sony I'm a supporter of their Playstation and I wouldn't expect to be near enough flammed at.
    The thing that bothers me here is that my initial post had nothing to do with the X-Box 360, I simply said I wouldn't turn down my router's firewall settings to low for any console, I merely mentioned that I haven't needed to for any other console.I even said in my first post "Is there any other way around it?"
    There was no criticism in my post whatsoever.

I like the Playstation brand and I like the Nintendo Brand, I have my reasons for not liking the Micro$oft brand,I didn't buy the 360 it was given to me as a gift, I don't have one by choice, and even if I did how would that make my posts any more or less valid?

So you are a PS fan and are in an xbox forum, that's like being catholic in a loyalist pub in the North. Even though you did nothing wrong people will be hostile towards you.

Then you got caught in a lie.

You own a 360 (if it was a gift or not doesn't count) yet you said you didn't own one. You clearly lied (I lie all the time, especially to my boss so I am not judging you) so it is hard to take you seriously on this topic.

I also have no interest in the Sony brand, I am interested in the Playstation brand,I choose Philips as my main brand for all my other electrical needs (TV's Sound Systems, DVD Burners etc) these people put bloody rootkits on a music CD for God's sake, I certainly don't like them.

SO what has the 360 done to annoy you?
    Both MS and Sony are cnuts but you like the PS and not the 360????

And that's my opinion (Which I have a right to) and that's their opinion (Which they also have a right to) I haven't debated this point once.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion just don't expect everyone to accept especially if you express it in the wrong place. This is advice I am not telling you to leave the forum you can be here if you want but remember, catholic in a loyalist pub will never be trusted. Unfair? yes, but why should you feel offended you don't like xbox or MS so its no loss really.

No not really, but I'm not a supporter of Sony I'm a supporter of their Playstation and I wouldn't expect to be near enough flammed at.
    The thing that bothers me here is that my initial post had nothing to do with the X-Box 360, I simply said I wouldn't turn down my router's firewall settings to low for any console, I merely mentioned that I haven't needed to for any other console.I even said in my first post "Is there any other way around it?"
    There was no criticism in my post whatsoever.

Your comment about not having to lower the firewall on the Wii or PS3 (while true) could be seen as a put down on the 360, which in an xbox forum coming from a PS supporter will get some backlash. Don't be surprised or hurt.

Look it as simple as this because of your continuous support of the PS people will always think you have a motive in this forum. Other people on these boards suffer the same way *cough Projectmayhem cough*

Vegeta wrote:
    So you are a PS fan and are in an xbox forum, that's like being catholic in a loyalist pub in the North. Even though you did nothing wrong people will be hostile towards you.

When I'm reading posts on this board and I reply to them I take them at face value, I don't click on their profile and read all their previous posts in other sections just in-case they like something I don't.If you take my original post at face value you will see I didn't take any shots at anything or anyone and I don't see why anyone felt the need to take a shot at me.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Then you got caught in a lie.

You own a 360 (if it was a gift or not doesn't count) yet you said you didn't own one. You clearly lied (I lie all the time, especially to my boss so I am not judging you) so it is hard to take you seriously on this topic.

I told a miniature lie to people on the internet, the reality is the X-Box is sitting there in the the box it came in, only opened once to make sure everything was all good to sell it on.I'll apologise for my bad choice of words.
    And change it to I'm not an X-Box 360 gamer.
    Vegeta wrote:
    SO what has the 360 done to annoy you?
    Both MS and Sony are cnuts but you like the PS and not the 360????

As you said, expressing my views on something like this wouldn't go down well here.I'm blue in the face making my points about Micro$oft so I think I'll pass in this case.
    Vegeta wrote:
    You are perfectly entitled to your opinion just don't expect everyone to accept especially if you express it in the wrong place. This is advice I am not telling you to leave the forum you can be here if you want but remember, catholic in a loyalist pub will never be trusted. Unfair? yes, but why should you feel offended you don't like xbox or MS so its no loss really.

I never expect my points to be accepted, not even when among people who are inclined to agree with me, truth is there is always going to be someone who won't.And as for your comment about Catholics and Loyalists, I don't agree with this behaviour and, not only is it unfair, it's plain wrong.

It's also something I didn't think should apply in this case since it shouldn't be tolerated at all,what makes it any better on the internet?But this is off topic so I'll move on.

And trust me, I'm not offended in the slightest, I only asked for some sort of justification for the treatment I received.It seemed other people were offended by my views on lowering your router's firewall settings nevermind the X-Box.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Your comment about not having to lower the firewall on the Wii or PS3 (while true) could be seen as a put down on the 360, which in an xbox forum coming from a PS supporter will get some backlash. Don't be surprised or hurt.

Well then I'd like to take this opportunity to say that that wasn't the case.
    If anything it was more a gesture that if the PS3 and the Wii can do it surely there is a way of configuring it so as the X-Box can go online without changing your settings to low.And again I'm not hurt, I don't take treatment on the internet to heart, I only see if it can be justified.
    Vegeta wrote:
    Look it as simple as this because of your continuous support of the PS people will always think you have a motive in this forum. Other people on these boards suffer the same way

I don't see how I could have any motive, I'm not an enemy that has infiltrated your base and is attempting something malicious, regardless of whether I like, own or hate the X-Box 360 I'm still interested in the gamers that play that system as they are fellow gamers, and even though I don't like the system I like to be as educated as possible about it, it's games, and the ins and outs of everything.

I would prefer if I could post here without prejudice.

This is such a stupid thread.
    Vegeta wrote:

Yeah, maybe if you're 7 years old and in the school playground that might matter.

Also, people, people using M$ and Micro$oft went out of fashion about 7 years ago. Lets move on.

When I'm reading posts on this board and I reply to them I take them at face value, I don't click on their profile and read all their previous posts in other sections just in-case they like something I don't.If you take my original post at face value you will see I didn't take any shots at anything or anyone and I don't see why anyone felt the need to take a shot at me.

Not everyone is the same as you hence your treatment.

I told a miniature lie to people on the internet, the reality is the X-Box is sitting there in the the box it came in, only opened once to make sure everything was all good to sell it on.I'll apologise for my bad choice of words.
    And change it to I'm not an X-Box 360 gamer.

I lie all the time I am not judging you for lying. It just looks bad for you

As you said, expressing my views on something like this wouldn't go down well here.I'm blue in the face making my points about Micro$oft so I think I'll pass in this case.

But I am not asking you to talk about microsoft i am asking you to talk about the 360.

I never expect my points to be accepted, not even when among people who are inclined to agree with me, truth is there is always going to be someone who won't.And as for your comment about Catholics and Loyalists, I don't agree with this behaviour and, not only is it unfair, it's plain wrong.

Yup its unfair but its just the way it is. I am not taking shots at you here, just pointing out why you got an icey reception
    It's also something I didn't think should apply in this case since it shouldn't be tolerated at all,what makes it any better on the internet?But this is off topic so I'll move on.

And trust me, I'm not offended in the slightest, I only asked for some sort of justification for the treatment I received.It seemed other people were offended by my views on lowering your router's firewall settings nevermind the X-Box.

Well then I'd like to take this opportunity to say that that wasn't the case.
    If anything it was more a gesture that if the PS3 and the Wii can do it surely there is a way of configuring it so as the X-Box can go online without changing your settings to low.And again I'm not hurt, I don't take treatment on the internet to heart, I only see if it can be justified.

The justification is simple, Playstation fan (who dislikes 360) in an xbox forum. I have already spelled it out. People are not nice, not everyone approaches topics/others without prejudice.

I don't see how I could have any motive, I'm not an enemy that has infiltrated your base and is attempting something malicious, regardless of whether I like, own or hate the X-Box 360 I'm still interested in the gamers that play that system as they are fellow gamers, and even though I don't like the system I like to be as educated as possible about it, it's games, and the ins and outs of everything.

I would prefer if I could post here without prejudice.

Its all about perception, people here obviously percieve you to have a motive whether you do or don't. Post away but always bear in mind you will probably be judged.

I am a hunter and therefore I am always judged by animal cruelty/ animal rights groups. Fact of Life I have made my bed and now I will lie in it. Suppose you have to do the same. You have chosen your side and people with differing opinion bicker with you. Big deal

Makaveli wrote:
    This is such a stupid thread.

Coming from the guy who associated a point made earlier to being retarded, that's rich.

Yeah, maybe if you're 7 years old and in the school playground that might matter.

So we live in a prejudice free world do we? No Catholics ever mistreated by Loyalists just for being Catholic and vice versa. No Playstation supporter ever slagged by an xbox user. No never happens :rolleyes:
    Also, people, people using M$ and Micro$oft went out of fashion about 7 years ago. Lets move on.

Come on.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Acecard you claim you got the 360 as a gift then in the thread you say you're selling it for a friend. Then you go on to try and buy another 360 from warzonebrother. you are full of crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

pissed wrote:
    Hi trying to get xbox 360 up and running on xbox live. Managed to do it but only with firewall turned off. when I turn it back on i cant connect. im using the netopia wireless router (one in bargain alerts for €25 and supplied by eircom :D ). I have gone into custom services in the menu and clicked the xbox live games tag and still no connection. Anyone any ideas?

Try opening the following ports on your router TCP Port 3074, UDP Ports 88, 3074 its what i had to do to get live working for me.

and to everyone else thumbs up great thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

you can open up the ports as said above but when i was with eircom and had that modem the only way for it to get onto live was to set the firewall to low.

open the ports up and run the test once you can get on live and you should have an open nat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Is it possible to put the Xbox on the netopia's DMZ and leave the firewall set to whatever you feel like? Personally I say set it to low or off. I've never run a software firewall on my PC and always set my routers' ones to low or off, whatever the bare minimum to keep NAT running is. I really don't see the problem.

Vegeta wrote:
    Coming from the guy who associated a point made earlier to being retarded, that's rich.

Really? Great.
    Vegeta wrote:
    So we live in a prejudice free world do we? No Catholics ever mistreated by Loyalists just for being Catholic and vice versa. No Playstation supporter ever slagged by an xbox user. No never happens :rolleyes:

Oh the humanity. Using an analogy of sectarianism to try and describe a situation in a games console forum. Yeah, serious business.

Hey do you like the Playstation?
    > Yeah it's pretty cool.
    OMG Faeg get out of here it's teh xbox forum.

And finally, let's not forget the :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Makaveli wrote:

Hey do you like the Playstation?
    > Yeah it's pretty cool.
    OMG Faeg get out of here it's teh xbox forum.

so, oh great one why exactly do you think AceCard got the reception he did, enlighten us. Clearly you are capable of deeper thought and understanding than the rest of us.

Because he's a fanboy at the best of times and nobody likes a fanboy. I'm sure the majority of people posting in this forum own or have owned consoles other than a Microsoft one and nobody has a problem with that. What people get annoyed with is certain users who only post in the forum to moan about a particular console while at the same time saying console by x company is great and this would never happen with x console.

It's not nearly as deep as you tried to make it out to be. Fanboyism is akin to school ground bull when you're 7 years old and my daddy is better than your daddy type crap.

I can't speak for Kensutz but I would imagine he doesn't care that AceCard has a Playstation or likes Playstation it's more down to the fact that AceCard comes out with comments that could be construed as flame bait because really he has no interest in the Xbox and just wants to gloat about the Playstation being great in the Xbox forum.

I agree completely with what you just said.

Makaveli you hit the nail on the head. I noticed Acecards comments and feel I need to try and stop his flaming. He's done it before and he is also backtracking on some of his comments. Stuff like him saying that he doesn't own a 360 yet he has one for sale on adverts, then changing comments saying that he is selling it for a friend. Then only appearing in another thread trying to buy a 360 from Warzonebrother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement