Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U.S Sizes conversions

• 10-02-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering what an Irish 6-8 works out at in American clothes. Im contemplating buying a dress on the net and Im trying to figure out what size to go for..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Irish or UK sizes are two higher than American sizes.

eg;

Irish size 8 = USA size 6

etc....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Irish or UK sizes are two higher than American sizes.

eg;

Irish size 8 = USA size 6

etc....

Nay, that's wrong. And Irish (UK) 8 is an American 4.

There seems to be discrepancies about the conversion of clothing sizes. I thought it was one size different until this whole "Size 0" issue starting making the headlines, and it was repeatedly said that a US size 0 is a UK size 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I'm a size 10 in jeans but I fit into a size 2 American....size 4 is way too big!! Got a pair of jeans recently from American Eagle and they were the usual size 2...but they seemed a whole size too big for me!:confused:
    Have AE changed their sizes, cos I'm still a size 10...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Im in agreement about the fact that it should be an american size 4 but the particular site im dealing with is called www.delias.com and they tell you to take a bust, waist and hip measurement and mine worked out at a large, now, Im not a supermodel or anything like but if their sizes only go up to extra large then I wouldnt imagine that Im at the end of the scale. If anyone has had any dealings with the site and could help me out size wise that would be brill. Thanks for the advice though guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In the US, the coveted size 00 is a UK size 2 :eek: size 0 is a 4.... Then 6 is a UK 8, 8 is a UK 10, 10 is a UK 12 etc. There's 2 in the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mackleton wrote:
    Im in agreement about the fact that it should be an american size 4 but the particular site im dealing with is called www.delias.com and they tell you to take a bust, waist and hip measurement and mine worked out at a large, now, Im not a supermodel or anything like but if their sizes only go up to extra large then I wouldnt imagine that Im at the end of the scale. If anyone has had any dealings with the site and could help me out size wise that would be brill. Thanks for the advice though guys!

I got a skirt in a medium in New York before, and I'd say it was about a UK size 10. Presumably a large would be a 12, extra large would be 14. When shops do sizes in small, medium and large, they're probably not catering to the larger sized lady. Take somewhere like Morgan, they only go up to a 12.

There's a conversion chart here that might help. In terms of sizes, there's serious confusion. My American flatmate just confirmed that there's two clothing sizes difference between the UK and US, ie. a US 8 is a UK 12. But all the conversions online say a US 8 is a UK 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

two sizes different:
    US 4 = UK 8
    US 6 = UK 10
    etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

hi guys

im trying to check this out too.

im male though, trying to buy a shirt on ebay, this one
    http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10901_317687_-1_12213
    im usually a medium in ireland, and here are their sizes
    http://www.abercrombie.com/anf/onlinestore/html/sizechart1.html?skuDept=25

does anyone know what size id need to order it in?
    has anyone do so before?

cheers for any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I always thought it was two sizes different i.e. 6 = 10, 8=12 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

event wrote:
    hi guys

im trying to check this out too.

im male though, trying to buy a shirt on ebay, this one
    http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10901_317687_-1_12213
    im usually a medium in ireland, and here are their sizes
    http://www.abercrombie.com/anf/onlinestore/html/sizechart1.html?skuDept=25

does anyone know what size id need to order it in?
    has anyone do so before?

cheers for any help

If you're an M the American medium should fit. The mens sizes are about the same as Irish sizes unless it's a "urban" brand as these are sized larger. You should note that US tees generally tend to be an inch or so longer than the equivalent UK/Irish sizes but the chest size is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

UK 10 = US 6

But be a bit wary when ordering stuff from US online shops! Generally US sizes would be bigger than Irish sizes. So even if you are a UK 10, you might need to go for a size 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

think ill go with a small, will be better off

cheers guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Hi OP I'm also a size 6-8, and am just back from the States.
    I was told by the shop assistant that it's two sizes smaller, so I should be a size 2-4. However I found that 2 was too big, nevermind size 4.

I bought clothes size XS, or size 1.

Someone else mentioned boy's clothes.... Medium is a medium. This is verified by size M clothes I brought back from the States, which fit the medium-sized Irish boys perfectly...... HOWEVER, sometimes, by simply looking at the t-shirt, you can see it's a 'big' medium/whatever. This is just like Irish clothes.

Conclusion: When buying online, I tend to only buy brands I already know, so that I know the size I should get. Sizes vary from label to label, but generally not within the label.

Advertisement