Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

opinions please

• 11-02-2007 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭

I drew up rough plans based on a friends house. I brought them to an engineer but he was less than impressed. His biggest problem with them was the way the sun comes in. He said the kitchen would be dark even though i allowed for 2 big windows and patio doors at one end.

It has completely taken my excitement away as i spent a lot of time planning the house. My question is - how important do you think it is to design the house with sunlight in mind?

Comments

Sunshine in a kitchen in the morning is wellcomed, with so many dull days here it's nice to see the sun coming into the house.

It also helps with passive heating, Large windows on south facing walls small windows on Northside. There are many articles etc on good house design, but mainly try to design the house to "follow the sun" kitchen window facing SE, living/dining room S, lounge SW, assuming you use the kitchen mainly in the morning the living/dining room throught the day & the lounge in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Sunlight is so so so important. It can make a real difference, not just to your heating bills but also in that your house could be a more pleasant place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

Sunshine in a kitchen in the morning is wellcomed, with so many dull days here it's nice to see the sun coming into the house.

It also helps with passive heating, Large windows on south facing walls small windows on Northside. There are many articles etc on good house design, but mainly try to design the house to "follow the sun" kitchen window facing SE, living/dining room S, lounge SW, assuming you use the kitchen mainly in the morning the living/dining room throught the day & the lounge in the evening.

I agree totally with Dolan Baker. We orientated the house the same as above. We did put alot of windows on the south side but did not put small windows in the north just limited it to 3 windows.
    I think your engineer is looking out for your best interests. Friends of ours are building a house and the so called architect put the patio on the north side of the house!!
    Better to get these things right at the planning stage. My friends are going through alot of pain to try and rearrange things now and still comply with planning.

Advertisement