Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake day cometh

• 11-02-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Seeing as pancake day is (well, almost nearly) around the corner, does anyone have any ideas!?

Also, how dya make those American Style pancakes, as opposed to the flat ones ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Jamie Oliver's recipe from Food Network here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_17299,00.html
    Pancakes Recipe courtesy Jamie Oliver
    Show: The Naked Chef
    Episode: The Naked Chef: New York Christmas

These American pancakes are great! Instead of being thin and silky like French crepes they are wonderfully fluffy and thick and can be made to perfection straight away. Simple, simple, simple - my Jools goes mad for them!

3 large eggs
    1 cup flour (122 grams)
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup milk (110 milliliters)
    Pinch salt

First, separate the eggs, putting the whites in 1 bowl and the egg yolks into another. Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the egg yolks and mix to a smooth thick batter. Whisk the whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Fold into the batter ? it is now ready to use.
    Heat a non-stick pan on a medium heat. Pour a little oil onto some kitchen paper and spread onto the pan. Pour some of your batter into the pan and fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm. At this point, sprinkle your chosen flavoring onto the uncooked side before loosening with a spatula and flipping the pancake over. Continue frying until both sides are golden.
    You can make these pancakes large or small, to your liking. You can serve them simply dowsed in maple syrup and even some butter or creme fraiche. Or try one of these great flavorings. Nice one.

Optional Toppings:
    Corn on the cob
    Bacon or pancetta
    Blueberries
    Bananas
    Stewed apples
    Chocolate
    Maple syrup
    Anything else you can imagine...
    P.S. You must try the corn pancakes, they are great. On one condition: you must use fresh corn. To do this, remove the outer leaves, and carefully run a knife down the cob, this will loosen all the lovely pieces of corn. I like to have some grilled bacon over my corn pancakes, drizzled with a little maple syrup. This sounds bloody horrid but it honestly tastes pukka!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I don't know if there's anyone else out there like me that loves pancakes but is allergic to eggs, but if anyone knows a way to make them so that they don't taste awful, I'd really appreciate it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Schlemm wrote:
    Seeing as pancake day is (well, almost nearly) around the corner, does anyone have any ideas!?

You mean dropscones? (j/k)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

When is pancake day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

this day week! have your jar of nutella at the ready...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Silverfish wrote:
    I don't know if there's anyone else out there like me that loves pancakes but is allergic to eggs, but if anyone knows a way to make them so that they don't taste awful, I'd really appreciate it :(
    Is it just chicken eggs you can't take? Or is it all eggs?

Shark egg pancakes are sounding interesting right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

this is a great video for showing you how to make great pancakes, with step-by-step guides.

yum, yum:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

Schlemm wrote:

silver dollar pancakes are AMAZING!!!
    here is a recipe http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=14581

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Dutch Pancakes All Teh Way!
    1/2 lb flour, pt milk, 2 eggs, and instead of pouring thin crepes, make big thick yokes and fill with anything you can think of! (good batter for think crepes too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

in tescos last night and i was looking at the powdered pancake mix (i wasnt going to buy it, but it was by the maple syrup) and the ingredients were crazy! there was powdered fat. why on earth did it need powdered fat!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

swingking wrote:
    this is a great video for showing you how to make great pancakes, with step-by-step guides.

yum, yum:D
    that site is cool :eek:

in tescos last night and i was looking at the powdered pancake mix (i wasnt going to buy it, but it was by the maple syrup) and the ingredients were crazy! there was powdered fat. why on earth did it need powdered fat!?

To make it fattening. Ready made food like that will have lots of added fat, sugar and salt that you won't necessarily taste but are there to either enrich the mix or block out the taste of something else, like preservatives. Dunno why people even need pancake mix, I mean how hard is it to crack a few eggs, measure some flour, and pour some milk???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

/me hugs Minesajackdaniels
    Thanks :) Was left some pancake mix, but forgot to put a drop of oil on the frying pan:o, so it didn't go too well :( (too used to cooking mince). Ah well, I'll make my own. Thankfully there's a Recipes forum, otherwise it'd be too Google:eek: that I'd have to goto.

/edit

Get:
    3 large eggs
    1 cup flour (122 grams)
    1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 cup milk (110 milliliters)
    Pinch salt

th_1_DSCF0533_small.jpg
    First, separate the eggs, putting the whites in 1 bowl and the egg yolks into another (left of the picture).

th_2_DSCF0534_small.jpg
    Add the flour, baking powder and milk to the egg yolks.

th_3_DSCF0536_small.jpg
    Mix to a smooth thick batter.

th_4_DSCF0537_small.jpg
    Fold into the batter.

th_5_DSCF0538_small.jpg
    And mix it.

th_6_DSCF0540_small.jpg
    Pour a little oil onto some kitchen paper and spread onto the pan.

th_7_DSCF0542_small.jpg
    Pour some of your batter into the pan.

th_8_DSCF0545_small.jpg
    Fry for a couple of minutes until it starts to look golden and firm.

th_9_DSCF0548_small.jpg
    The finished product. The bottom one was the first made, and the pan got a bit hot. Next time, instead of oil, I'll use butter (its meant to be better for pancakes), and instead of "medium", I'll try a "low" heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Silverfish wrote:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060922180340AA4jIK6
    Yes, you can make pancakes without eggs. Just add a tablespoon of oil for each egg you leave out. Unless you are a real gourmet, you might not even be able to tell the difference.

In fact, you can make pancakes or bread all kinds of ways. Add mashed potatoes. Add applesauce. Add pieces of nuts. Add strawberries.

If you can think it up, and it's edible, you can put it in a pancake.
    Tell us how you get on.

Hey syco, where you using the self-raising flour in the pic? if so you can omit the baking powder next time round, its already in the flour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Aye - and first, turn the heat all the way up. Then turn it down by one-third. Melt a large knob of butter in the pan, and pour the melted butter off into a heat-proof receptacle. Keeping the pan on two-thirds heat, wipe the butter around it between each pancake using kitchen towel. They shouldn't burn that way.

Advertisement