Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 year old business man!

Options
  • 11-02-2007 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

Spring cleaning time this week and our pile to dump got rather big. While we were discussing if any of the stuff could be given away or sold, our son said he would like to put a "shop" in front of our house and he would give half the money raised to charity. I had mixed feelings about it, but I also like the idea of him working on his people and business skills, so we gave him the nod.

Yesterday he placed two small shelving units outside with a sign containing price list for books and videos and a small chair. I left the front door open to keep an eye on him and felt very uneasy because of the possible disappointment that he could experience if nothing sold.

We allowed him to run the "business" for 45 minutes and to our surprise he raised €20, so he decided to do it again today. He is outside right now and in the last hour he has sold over €30 :eek:. He has been allowed to stay another 20 minutes to get the flow from mass :D

The rush I am getting out of this is amazing, and I just wanted to tell someone about it...

PS - update, he sold another €4 while I was writing this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

u letting him keep the money????ah if only i WAS 7 again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭MyBaby

Zynks wrote:
    Spring cleaning time this week and our pile to dump got rather big. While we were discussing if any of the stuff could be given away or sold, our son said he would like to put a "shop" in front of our house and he would give half the money raised to charity. I had mixed feelings about it, but I also like the idea of him working on his people and business skills, so we gave him the nod.

Yesterday he placed two small shelving units outside with a sign containing price list for books and videos and a small chair. I left the front door open to keep an eye on him and felt very uneasy because of the possible disappointment that he could experience if nothing sold.

We allowed him to run the "business" for 45 minutes and to our surprise he raised €20, so he decided to do it again today. He is outside right now and in the last hour he has sold over €30 :eek:. He has been allowed to stay another 20 minutes to get the flow from mass :D

The rush I am getting out of this is amazing, and I just wanted to tell someone about it...

PS - update, he sold another €4 while I was writing this.

Fair play to him and even better that he is giving half the money to charity. I remember we used to do this when we were kids and didnt want any of our toys any more. we use to sell or swap them to other kids. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Soby wrote:
    u letting him keep the money????ah if only i WAS 7 again
    Yep, he needs the money because he decided to clean his new Nintendo by putting it under the tap, thus finding out electronics and water don't go well together. We told him he has to pay for 1/2 of a new one out of his allowance, but that would take six months without spending anything. ;)
    MyBaby wrote:
    Fair play to him and even better that he is giving half the money to charity. I remember we used to do this when we were kids and didnt want any of our toys any more. we use to sell or swap them to other kids.
    Yes, it is good that he is learning to make an effort for his money and at the same he remains a caring guy. I hope it stays like that. But I think the main benefit is the confidence boost he got out of it. Every time he got a sale he would run upstairs to keep the money and on the way down I could hear him saying "this is great!"

As an update, he sold over €80 this weekend, and at first we thought €10 or 20 would be really good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Enterprising little guy! You could have a future billionaire on your hands!! :D

Advertisement