Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tha Magic Road

• 11-02-2007 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I went for a spin to Mahon Falls yesterday, and remembered the whole story about the road where the optical illusion sends up uphill with the handbreak off.

I made a git of myself though because I couldnt find it! Is it before or after the cattle grid on the way up to the falls?

Also, Im going to take a walk to coumshingaun the next day the weather is good, so am I right in saying I should go towards mahon falls and then follow the walking path up the hill at the cattle grid??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I got it to work a few months ago......but backwards from the way I remember it as a kid.
    I was actually heading back down toward the grid from the falls when it worked, there's what looks like a small uphill section that the car will roll up.

When I get home from work I can post an exact grid (pardon the pun) reference for you. It would take all day to try explain it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Trotter wrote:
    I went for a spin to Mahon Falls yesterday, and remembered the whole story about the road where the optical illusion sends up uphill with the handbreak off.

I made a git of myself though because I couldnt find it! Is it before or after the cattle grid on the way up to the falls?

Also, Im going to take a walk to coumshingaun the next day the weather is good, so am I right in saying I should go towards mahon falls and then follow the walking path up the hill at the cattle grid??

drive over the cattle grid and about a hundred meters on your left is a green bush at the bototm of a hill the bush is green all year round. stop your car at this and release hanbrake.. car will go back up the hill from the direct it came

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No it won't! :D

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Roen wrote:
    I got it to work a few months ago......but backwards from the way I remember it as a kid.
    I was actually heading back down toward the grid from the falls when it worked, there's what looks like a small uphill section that the car will roll up.

When I get home from work I can post an exact grid (pardon the pun) reference for you. It would take all day to try explain it here.

See I told my girlfried I needed a GPS and she wouldnt listen. Now I have to buy one. We dont need need new curtains, they're useless when up a mountain.

mike65 wrote:
    No it won't! :D

Mike.

OK I know it's an optical illusion but it does seem to go back up the hill.... didn't want to spoil it for everyone though

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote:
    See I told my girlfried I needed a GPS and she wouldnt listen. Now I have to buy one. We dont need need new curtains, they're useless when up a mountain.
    I just use a map and compass. I always bring curtains up the mountains when I climb though.

Bards wrote:
    OK I know it's an optical illusion but it does seem to go back up the hill.... didn't want to spoil it for everyone though

Damn and I thought it was real magic.

Towels are better, you always know where you are with a towel.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does the op's question mean they have taken down the horrible signs saying The Magic Road. Yes, the magic road is just after the cattle grid going up, but the signs just looked ridiculous and took all the magic out of it. Couple of pics attached (I hope;) ), one shows the sign, the other the cattle grid and you can just see the sign on the left side of the road in the centre of the photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

cattlegrid.jpg

magic-road.jpg

photos should have been in previous post, hope they are attached this time:D

• Advertisement

Phew, saves me the bother of some nifty map work, well done Looksee.

Excellent stuff.. thanks looksee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭carolinej

The handiest way to get there is to up through mahon bridge village,(if there's such a thing) turning off the main leamybrien to carrick an suir road, the shop is on the right hand side, about 2 miles on turn right for the mountain, (all signposted) and bingo your at the magic road. It was signposted up to six months ago, I'm sure it's still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Yeah, I cycle up there all the time. Does indeed seem magic in a car (and I still take visitors up for a go, always gets em !) great optical illusion, not so magic on a bike though let me tell you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭WaterfordOnline

The "magic" is not an optical illusion nor is it magic.
    It's caused by a stream under the road that runs parallel.

There is a video on DeiseSpace.Com about it: http://www.deisespace.com/forums/ and also on SeanieM's site: http://waterfordcity.mysite.wanadoo-memb...untain.wmv
    Enjoy

I have been there on a number of occasions and placed footballs etc on the road and they all go back up the hill.

The stream under the road causes a pull or some sort of magnetic field that reverses gravity or something.
    A search on Google will find some explainations about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Myself and a friend went up there last year to try it out and it worked... a bit. The car rolled back about 2 metres and then stopped. Drove all the way for that!

The "magic" is not an optical illusion nor is it magic.
    It's caused by a stream under the road that runs parallel.

There is a video on DeiseSpace.Com about it: http://www.deisespace.com/forums/ and also on SeanieM's site: http://waterfordcity.mysite.wanadoo-memb...untain.wmv
    Enjoy

I have been there on a number of occasions and placed footballs etc on the road and they all go back up the hill.

The stream under the road causes a pull or some sort of magnetic field that reverses gravity or something.
    A search on Google will find some explainations about it.

if you stand there and close your eyes you can feel that there is a hill by the way your feet are placed... it is just an illusion if you are in car etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    I'd say you and towels are well acquainted Mike !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

agreed, can't go wrong with a towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Let me assure you there is no magic stream ! Its an uphill that looks like a downhill. Whip out a bike and try it ! My bike is all carbon, the very few metallic components on it are so tiny that any magnetic effect would be neglibible. Even get out of the car and walk it. Still convincing illusion though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I was up there a few weeks ago and totally forgot about the illusion, must make a trip back up there soon to have a look at it.

Advertisement