Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should mocks tips be banned from here?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

I'd personally support amending the charter to prohibit people posting mocks tips here. Arguments about it being beneficial or not aside, it can be misleading as there's so many different mock papers and students are not supposed to know what's coming up in the first place.

Every second thread being about it gives a bad image to this board in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Doesn't really matter. They're different companies so I for one pay no attention to them as they're worthless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

short answer: no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

One thread. STICKIED.

All other threads, deleted?

Somebody merge them for the love of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

If people want to know what essentially could be on their mock paper, fair enough. Chances are they'll only study what they think will be on it which is a risk on itself. Only fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

If they want to be stupid about it, sure let them. It gives the board a bad image, but sure it's a true image isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Defiantely agree with ya OP. Havent even looked at one. I want the challenge of opening the paper and then realising "****, its too late too change now". Besides, the Mocks arent THAT important. If ya mess up, ya know what ya need to work on from here on in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭glenroe2006

"Only fooling themselves" is such a pathetic argument. If people want to know what's coming up in the paper, then they want to know. They're not pretending that if they do well it's because they learnt the whole course off. I don't know where you get off asking should the tips be banned. If you don't want to look at them, don't look at them. There's no reason for them to be taken down. I can almost certainly tell you that not one person looking at them is under the illusion that these tips are going to help them in the real thing. Personally, all I want from the Mocks is a confidence boost. I want to do well, no matter what. I don't care if that's because of tips. Because I know if I'm optimistic, and I do my work in the next four months then I'll be rewarded in August.

Okay, I've got that off my chest now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

No, they have a point regarding the mocks in 'you're only cheating yourself'. There's no actual importance to the tests except seeing what standard you're at in this present time, and suss out what's gonna happen come June. So it's a bit stupid cheating for a worthless exam.

Doesn't stop me doing it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Rozabeez wrote:
    One thread. STICKIED.

All other threads, deleted?

Somebody merge them for the love of God.
    At the very least this should be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

"Only fooling themselves" is such a pathetic argument. If people want to know what's coming up in the paper, then they want to know. They're not pretending that if they do well it's because they learnt the whole course off. I don't know where you get off asking should the tips be banned. If you don't want to look at them, don't look at them. There's no reason for them to be taken down. I can almost certainly tell you that not one person looking at them is under the illusion that these tips are going to help them in the real thing. Personally, all I want from the Mocks is a confidence boost. I want to do well, no matter what. I don't care if that's because of tips. Because I know if I'm optimistic, and I do my work in the next four months then I'll be rewarded in August.

Okay, I've got that off my chest now.
    Totally agree.

Of course it can be misleading, and a nice lesson learned if you get a different paper. I'm only paying extra attention to the tips here, not relying my whole study on them. Granted there have been too many threads, but I don't see any harm in exchanging a few hints, most people in my school are doing it with their friends from other schools anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

if ya dont want to see them dont look!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well you seem to frequent this forum the most JC 2K3 and read the mock spoiler threads aswell.. So if your so concerned about the spoiler threads why don't you just stay away from them and not read them??

There there for people who want to use them, its understandable to look for a few tips on a paper, sure your teachers give you tips too and as i illustrated yesterday it can mean that you learn some off really well when otherwise you might of just scanned through it and not actually of learnt it.

If your so above us all just say out the threads and then you'll have no problem :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Avapxia

I think it benefits, because for example if someone is going to fail a subject they may not even study at all, but if they get a tip of what is coming up it would encourage them to study. And even if the chapters/poems/etc didnt come up at least they know it really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Let's put it this way...given the number of papers (i.e.the number of tips) if someone was to study all the tips they would have quite a bit of study to do and would deserve to do well anyway! So let them give tips, just be warned, you might get a different mock paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'd personally support amending the charter to prohibit people posting mocks tips here. Arguments about it being beneficial or not aside, it can be misleading as there's so many different mock papers and students are not supposed to know what's coming up in the first place.

Every second thread being about it gives a bad image to this board in my opinion.
    I'd personally support having this thread moved to the recycle bin. If you don't support or condone any of the activities in a particular forum, take it to the Helpdesk or report the threads to the moderators.

<sarcasm> Yes run along and complain about us before finding out how we feel on the matter first </sarcasm>

I've no problem with the tips 'cause everyone KNOWS not to rely on them, unless of course they are simply thick. However the amount of spam and pointless threads that have been created when the spoilers have already been given is just irritating.

Look at this place, every second thread is, "OMG MOCK SPOILERS", "Omg omg, history/physics tips" etc.

^Yup, essentially what's prompted me to make this topic.

Whatever people's views on using tips, this forum should not be abused in this way.

After the mocks it's just going to look sloppy (although it looks that way to me already.)

SLOPPY!

(JC_2K3, your sig is sloppy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

probably should be a stickied topic, have it all in one thread. That'd solve everything, and if you believe in the 'your only fooling yourself' mantra then stay away. One thing im not in favour of however is amending the charter to suit one persons agenda.

cson wrote:
    probably should be a stickied topic, have it all in one thread. That'd solve everything, and if you believe in the 'your only fooling yourself' mantra then stay away. One thing im not in favour of however is amending the charter to suit one persons agenda.
    I put forward a suggestion, it's not "one person's agenda". I suppose I'd be content with one stickied topic, but I think the majority of regulars on here have no interest in mock tips. All these spammy mock tip topics have been started by newbies who never post here anyway.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:

So you have no agenda against mock tips being posted here but you are in favour of amending the charter to ban mock tips on the basis of your beliefs. The thinking behind that is lost on me. Like i said, it should be a stickied topic for those who wish to use it. And also having a cut at newbies posting topics is out of line, they have as much right as you have to post here. Its a discussion board.

It was a SUGGESTION! Just like your thread was a suggestion. If your thread worked out then it would technically be against the rules to post more mock threads anyway!

What the hell is wrong with you two? What are you disagreeing over? Why are you sniping at each other?

You'll find on discussion boards on private websites that regulars have more authority than n00bs.

And I'm sure most of the charters on these boards are written based on someone's beliefs....

Didn't you hear? Newbies aren't real people.

This is a joke, before you get offended.

ok lets just put the knives away and leave it at that.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    You'll find on discussion boards on private websites that regulars have more authority than n00bs.

And I'm sure most of the charters on these boards are written based on someone's beliefs....

Well you've certainly supported your portrayal of the noble regular by terming some people who don't agree with you as n00bs..

The fact is that these Newbies should be respected as much as anyone else on the forum, and infact more so than other ignorant and arrogant posters ;)

That's not nearly as fun. : p

Who said anything about nobility?

:rolleyes: I really am not going to bother with you tbh... Your great and i hope you enjoy your 600 points :)

• Advertisement

we're slightly losing the point of this thread! (at good bit of it is down to the slanging match JC 2K3 and myself had), so the suggestion again is 'should mock tips be banned from the forum'.....

Personally I say no, but they should be converged into one (maybe stickied) thread, or at least have one thread per subject (a la the soccer forum with the Man U, liverpool etc chat threads).

That way those who want to indulge in sharing mock tips can.

And those who don't can just stay away from those threads.

Advertisement