Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should mocks tips be banned from here?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

TBH it's hard to respect a newbie that join, leaves a "help help I'm screwed mock spoiler?" thread and then just leaves their thread to clutter up the place with no intention of returning. However, Weathercheck I agree with you that there should still be a level of respect at all times because a newbie is a potential regular, and I take it that's what you're saying too. It's just be nice if all the newbies could spell/avoid spamming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

People at leaving cert age, whether 17 or older should be responsible enough to choose to read these threads or not. I don't think it's up to any one person or group of people to decide for everyone. When I was doing the Leaving in 2004 I chose not to use the tips threads for my mocks, I wanted it to emulate the LC as much as possible. It worked, I got within 10 points of my actual LC result. However some people who are panicking are choosing to use the threads and if they want to, what harm does it do to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

In some classes, we've been told what to study, and sometimes what is definitely coming up, because we haven't covered enough of the course to have options etc. etc. What's the difference between that and the 'whats coming up on such-and-such paper' on here? I know that most of my papers will be DEB, and 4/5 of them have been so far. Some of the hints here have gone hand in hand with the hints we've been given, so yes, I've studied them specifically. Not just them though, studying everything, but paying attention to them. Biology is a subject I am borderline failing, and will be killed if I do. My teacher is the worst ever, so yes, I am going to make use of the tips on it here, and not feel guilty about it. In a subject like that, I can't revise the whole course in time for the mock.

I am panicking. I need to get somewhere in the region of the points I need. I KNOW that the tip threads are only relating to the DEB papers, but no harm in taking note of it, if I pretty much know it's my paper that's being discussed. I KNOW it won't help for June, but I have time to study for that.

The people who are all 'it won't help', 'who are you fooling?' etc. are the people who are NOT panicking/geniuses anyway/don't need high points.

Well that's all fine and dandy if they're helping you CM, but do you enjoy logging in here and seeing a repetitive clutter of threads with the same information over and over again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

You dont need to look at the tips if you dont want to, no point banning em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

lets just clear it up by saying....

If you have a mocks hint/tip or want one, keep it to (preferably one) a thread thats already there, and DON'T create a new one!

/me applauds the above post. Respect plus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Rozabeez wrote:
    Well that's all fine and dandy if they're helping you CM, but do you enjoy logging in here and seeing a repetitive clutter of threads with the same information over and over again?

I can't merge them. Who is the mod here anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

geminilady wrote:
    if ya dont want to see them dont look!

I agree.

Merging them into one topic that's a sticky seems like a good idea, but it would create more problems.

1) Adding to the long sticky list. It would be the 8th topic to be stickified.
    2) New people who overlook stickies (who checks all the pointlss stickies before posting?) and then you'll have narks (I like that word :D) complaining non-stop.
    3) The sticky topic would be a mess. It would be confusing.
    4) People wouldn't get what they want.

This forum is the "Leaving Cert" forum for Boards.ie. What is it meant to be about? The Leaving Cert. *Shock, horror*. The Mocks are part of the leaving and so people should be allowed to talk about them.

Oh and the way a message board works is that good topics will get replied to and therefore stay on top while bad topics won't get the replies and will sink so you don't have to bother with them.

I think some people here are just aiming for future mods. How could a few annoying threads offend you so much? It's ridiculous. Go outside more or something!:p

I think the issue here is with the amount of mock hints threads being created. Like i've said before i think a stickied topic perhaps would help the situation, and of course, if people want to take about whats on their mock papers they can (i mean i wanna know whats coming up in mine too). Like you said with the popularity thing, i think one subject a thread would maybe help too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

One thread per subject would be ideal but it's not gonna happen unless the mod constantly merges the new threads into existing threads and even then people won't know where their threads went.

Stupid people :p

yep its complicated, but anything would be an improvement. Seriously how can you expect any semblance of thought in a thread with "history, french and irish mock tips please" >> thats three subjects X the no. of papers in each X everyones hint/tip on it.............. it just gets very messy and uncoodinated and these threads keep cropping up cluttering up the board, that is why i think JC 2K3 set up this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I'd rather have one messed up thread than one whole messed up forum tbh.

Anyways the sticky about the mocks needn't necessarily be "messy and uncoordinated". Maybe a mod could make a thread "All mocks tips in HERE", amend the charter and in the first post make a template that all people can use to post there tips/info. in a similiar format e.g Subject, Level, Paper etc. that way we could have a nice cool thread for it and everyone can be happy.

And best put it in UPPER CASE so nubs don't miss it. :D

Advertisement