Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL bollixed because of... Rugby match?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else find that their NTL connection went to holy crap* today during the Ireland V France match.

Does the amount of people watching TV affect a cable connection? :\

*I mean more "Holy crap" than usual

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

No mine was grand, My brother was online while i watched the match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

mang87 wrote:
    Did anyone else find that their NTL connection went to holy crap* today during the Ireland V France match.

Does the amount of people watching TV affect a cable connection? :\

*I mean more "Holy crap" than usual
    Probably a few scobies triying to hack in ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

No it definitely shouldn't affect the cable connection as far as I know. All of the digital and analog streams are simultaneously pumped to every house no matter who's watching them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No it definitely shouldn't affect the cable connection as far as I know. All of the digital and analog streams are simultaneously pumped to every house no matter who's watching them.

Indeed this would be correct, alot of people watching the one program shouldn't cause any problems for other tv or internet users

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

no problems here either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JasonEFlood

Not only was the signal terrible from NTL - it was actaully freezing pictures, and sound jumping - but also when I switched back on to terestial - it was running 3 seconds behind the game time over the analog signal. Which was really frustrating as I have the sound off the NTL piped into an amp - so just watching the analog picture with the AMP'd sound was not an option.

I cant believe people of Ireland pay for that service.

This is not the first time this has happend to me. It appears that everytime there is a big match, gaa, soccer... etc the signal degrades.

Actually the signal down in the local pub was also effected with jittery picture and sound.

I think the service they provide could very easily be considored awful.

For the record I live in Clontarf - so maybe its a localised issue, as other people did not seem to experiance this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

JasonEFlood, it sounds as if there's someone on your road/area hacking into the cable to get the match, and that's affecting the quality of the service for the rest of the line. You didn't see any of your neighbours up a ladder at the front of their house on Sunday morning by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yea mine got a bit jumpy and stuttery as well. Just turned over to terrestial and it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

it was running 3 seconds behind the game time over the analog signal.

This is always the case ( for me anyway ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Not only was the signal terrible from NTL - it was actaully freezing pictures, and sound jumping - but also when I switched back on to terestial - it was running 3 seconds behind the game time over the analog signal. Which was really frustrating as I have the sound off the NTL piped into an amp - so just watching the analog picture with the AMP'd sound was not an option.

Digital always lags behind terrestrial, it's because of the encoding/decoding process going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Am NTL is underground, not up in the air, well it is where I live at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JasonEFlood

I think what we are rapidly establishing is NTL is MUCK!

The only reason why I am with NTL is becasue I live in an apartment and am not permitted to get SKY.

As soon as I am permitted I will switch to sky - in a heartbeat.

I'm sure I am not the only person who feels like this - so NTL are going to be in for a rude awaking if they dont get their service sorted out!

Advertisement