Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of my dobies coughs after running?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

One of my dobies - the female - now nearly 8 months old is outwardly in great health. Obviously being a female she is quite a lot smaller and lighter than her twin brother. She eats normally and is the quiter more intelligent and inquisitive dog.

She will only tolerate a certain amount of petting - unlike her brother who laps up as much as he can get and still wants more. :)

She is the dominant one of the two with a fierce determination to win whatever it is the two are trying to compete for - be it a bone or whatever and she has an absolute intolerance for intruders or loud student parties - we have student apartments next to us. :rolleyes: Her brother could not give a fiddlers. :rolleyes:

However I notice that if she for instance runs the length of the field or does a fast sprint she starts sort of coughing when she stops. It takes a few minutes for this to stop. I know this type of cough as it happens me too if I do a really fast sprint - or at least it used to until I decided a nice big 4X4 eliminated any need for running.

I know I should see the vet about it as it does not happen to her brother but before I do I would welcome any suggestions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Tell her to stop smoking :D

Seriously ...I think the vet is your only man, really. Could be anyhting from her simply not knowing how much is to much up to some growth / infection or another in the lungs/throat.

Get it checked to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Could be so many things that it could be and only a vet could determine this, best be safe and get it checked out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Totally agree with the guys above could be a number of things. vets examination necessary...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you are worried take her to the vet! Could be lung/heart problems etc. Let us know what the vet says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Took her to the vet this evening and she has put her on a week long course of anti-biotic and anti-congestant tablets. If they don't work she will have to be x-rayed to see where the exact problem is.

She said she looked 'pale' (they can tell this by the gums) and she had a fast heart rate. That might have been because of her fear of the vets surgery though so fingers crossed it might be only something simple like some infection.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Let us know how she gets on hun - fingers crossed the anti biotics help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Looks like good news - with just one day left in her tablet programme the cough seems to be gone. She is now bullying the male dobie like there was no tomorrow with no coughing and she just done a fast sprint across the field and no cough at all. :D

But now the male dobie had developed a limp in his front right leg and keeps licking his paw. I can't see anything - there is always something I suppose. :rolleyes:

Advertisement