Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N.Y. lake effect snow..

Options
  • 11-02-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Well if the weather wasn't so wet out there, i'd nearly expect to see tumbleweed blowing across the weather forum here, it has gone so quiet.

Anyways for the snow lovers among us, here is something to chew on and envy... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070211/ap_on_re_us/cold_weather

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yeah but where is the excitment in 11 feet of snow.:p
    Think of it ,they get cold,crisp,clear,snow
    and then cold,crisp,clear,snow.

We get wild,wet,windy,sleet
    and then wild,wet,windy,sleet.

Basically our two weathers albeit different are same.Boring.
    Im guessing there bored with all the snow over there while were bored with all this zonal.Anyways i like to try the top para just once again.

Edit:Some place in NY state called Orwega(spelling) gets 7 foot annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Am i right to presume this amount of accumulating snowfall is occuring well-above sea level?

It would be great to experience that much snowfall once but after a while i would probably get sick of it. As blasphemous as that may sound to other snow lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Am i right to presume this amount of accumulating snowfall is occuring well-above sea level?
    The great lakes are fresh water lakes left over(melt) from the receeding ice sheets during the last ice age.They are a distance from the any sea salt water source and create there own weather and have their own beaches.Now unlike our shoreline surrounded by salt water and a higher sea surface temperature(sst) keeping us on the balmy side,there is more land(USA) surrounding water or in this case the great lakes and therefore doesnt effect the temperature of the air like on this island when winter is concerned.So the outcome is alot of snow even on the fringes of the lakes at lake level or sea level.

Apparently evaporative fresh water from the lakes can produce more snow than sea salt water as it can be evaporated quicker and in more volume and is less dense than sea water and is why snow or lake effect snow is measured in feet instead of cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Snowbie wrote:
    The great lakes are fresh water lakes left over(melt) from the receeding ice sheets during the last ice age.They are a distance from the any sea salt water source and create there own weather and have their own beaches.Now unlike our shoreline surrounded by salt water and a higher sea surface temperature(sst) keeping us on the balmy side,there is more land(USA) surrounding water or in this case the great lakes and therefore doesnt effect the temperature of the air like on this island when winter is concerned.So the outcome is alot of snow even on the fringes of the lakes at lake level or sea level.

Apparently evaporative fresh water from the lakes can produce more snow than sea salt water as it can be evaporated quicker and in more volume and is less dense than sea water and is why snow or lake effect snow is measured in feet instead of cms.

Thank you for the explanation.

Advertisement