Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budweiser Budvar

• 11-02-2007 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Any pointers as to where this is to be found (both pubs and Off), particularly in Dublin City Centre - bottles presumably?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

McHughs sells Budvar in 500ml cans and bottles and 330ml bottles also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

You can find it in a lot of pubs and off-licences now. I have even found it in smaller shops like Spar or Centra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Was in prague weekend before last. Lovely stuff is Budvar.
    Don't know if I'd pay a fiver for it in a pub though!
    Anyone know what price it tends to be in off licences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cashback wrote:
    Was in prague weekend before last. Lovely stuff is Budvar.
    Don't know if I'd pay a fiver for it in a pub though!
    Anyone know what price it tends to be in off licences?
    It is in most pubs and supermarkets these days.

€5 a bottle is pretty cheap, it is usually about €2.80-3 in an off-licence, so in a pub it is usually only twice that whereas the markup on other drinks is massive compared to supermarket prices.

You are also getting a 500ml bottle in the pub and it is a strong beer.

My mates drink bottles of miller & heineken, usually €4-5.20 in pubs, usually €4.50 but that is 330ml. So at €4.50 per longneck that works out at €6.81 for a 500ml bottle!

Another way to look at it is a budvar 500ml is €5, then the equivalent 330ml bottle price is €3.30, very cheap!

And that is not taking into account the higher duty that is charged on the higher %

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

rubadub wrote:
    Another way to look at it is a budvar 500ml is €5, then the equivalent 330ml bottle price is €3.30, very cheap!

And that is not taking into account the higher duty that is charged on the higher %

Not to mention that it is a far superior beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

not mentioned since it goes without saying! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

best value I've seen for this is in tesco 2.12 per 500ml bottle, usually around the 2.50 mark in most other places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭colsku

But it pales in comparison to most Weissbiers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

colsku wrote:
    But it pales in comparison to most Weissbiers!

Well... it's not a Weissbier so you wouldn't really compare would you? It's a bit like comparing Guinness with Speckled Hen.

If you like Budvar then you should try... "1979" is the main name on the bottle. It's also Budjewickie (or however you spell the Czech word that translates into Budweiser... I hate calling it Budweiser). It's from the same town, might even be the same brewery, it's just got a differant blend to it, but it's nice. Must try it again soon now that I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Went to Budjovike a few years ago now and drank lots. The nicest beer in prague is kusovice. This is available in irl also, but nicer on draught in praha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Anseo on Camden Street have it on tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kindljubi

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    best value I've seen for this is in tesco 2.12 per 500ml bottle, usually around the 2.50 mark in most other places

Can anyone confirm that 2.12€ is the cheapest price for a 500ml bottle of Budweiser Budvar in Dublin?

If you like Budvar then you should try... "1979" is the main name on the bottle. It's also Budjewickie (or however you spell the Czech word that translates into Budweiser... I hate calling it Budweiser). It's from the same town, might even be the same brewery, it's just got a differant blend to it, but it's nice. Must try it again soon now that I think about it.

I think you mean 1795 Budejovicke Pivo. Dunnes sell it for a bit over €2.

Well... it's not a Weissbier so you wouldn't really compare would you? It's a bit like comparing Guinness with Speckled Hen.

They are from the same town but definitely two different breweries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Budvar gives me a headache!!:mad:

The 1795/Budvar story is here if anyone is interested

Thanks, interesting story. BTW, I have to pay 71 cents (cheapest price) for a 500ml bottle of Budweiser Budvar in Berlin but would even pay 2.50€ because it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Damn you!

/me goes out to the shop for tayto, club orange and a club milk.
    how do you like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

I heard the story a few times that Budvar and Budweiser were both part of the same Czech family hundreds of years ago. But half the family eventually emigrated to the USA and tried to recreate the original Budvar in America but due to inferior quality ingredients the family wasnt able to re-create the same beer and named it Budweiser instead.

Btw Harvey Nichols in Dundrum sell it on draught for €5.50 a pint

• Advertisement

Eh, I think that's just a story.

Advertisement