Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What dog wouldn't mind living with Dobermans.

Options
  • 11-02-2007 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Following on from my 'pet pigs' thread - don't ask - abandoned idea - I am thinking of getting one other dog to go with the dobermans.

I am thinking along the lines of a jack russell as I could not manage three large dogs. However I have read that jack russells can be very territorial - something I can believe as we had one years back and he was the terror of the neighbourhood. I want the jack russell tough as they are very intelligent entertaining dogs - when they are not trying to kill the neighbours chickens at least.

I would hate to get a little dog only to find he has upset the delicate truce my current two observe most times and have to give him up again so I want to make the right decision from the start. I know its very much down to the particular personality whatever dog I get has but there must be some general principals I should observe to at least have a good chance of not coming to grief.

I would like to get my next dog from a shelter - dogs home etc. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dogs don't give two hoots what breed (or what size even) other dogs are ...usually the smallest ones have the biggest egos anyway :D

Try to match temperaments somewhat, introduce possible candidates to your two on neutral ground (should give you a rough idea if they like each other or not), pick one that the Dobies won't break in two accidentally while playing and you should be grand ...

On introduction of the new dog into your group (if it comes to that), don't fuss over the newbee, keep a quiet eye on the lot for a while and smother all aggressive behaviour.
    The first few days after the arrival of the new group member are your window of opportunity ...everything has changed and all the dogs (the current ones as well as the newbee) have to re-orientate themselves. Use this window shamlessly to lay down strict rules of what you do and don't expect out of the three and everything should go pretty swimmingly thereafter.

Good luck

Advertisement