Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial up problem

Options
  • 11-02-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Ok realise this is not a bb quetion, but this is the closest forum i could find. My folks have a eircom dial up account due to being in a non bb area. All worked fine until last week. I went home to have a look.

It shows that it is connected at 50kbs/sec...however any site that i try i get a DNS error message. I checked the settings to see if they matched the username/password of the default connection.

The password in the connections seems to be a lot longer than the actual password. I retype this password to correct it and click "apply". I retry the connection but still get the error messages. I recheck the connections under internet options and see again that the password still contains more asterixs than the real password has characters.

Any idea what the problem is? The modem was replaced about 12 months ago so shuld be ok.

Cheers

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Souness wrote:
    Ok realise this is not a bb quetion, but this is the closest forum i could find. My folks have a eircom dial up account due to being in a non bb area. All worked fine until last week. I went home to have a look.

It shows that it is connected at 50kbs/sec...however any site that i try i get a DNS error message. I checked the settings to see if they matched the username/password of the default connection.

The password in the connections seems to be a lot longer than the actual password. I retype this password to correct it and click "apply". I retry the connection but still get the error messages. I recheck the connections under internet options and see again that the password still contains more asterixs than the real password has characters.

Any idea what the problem is? The modem was replaced about 12 months ago so shuld be ok.

Cheers

K

Hello

Try setting up the DNS servers manually

I think for eircom are

Primary DNS - 159.134.237.6
    Secondary DNS - 159.134.248.17

That should help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Eircom DNS servers are:
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.235
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.195
    .....according to here:
    http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=65&E=0000000000052526202&K=7151&SXI=6&case=821&source=search&query=dns&branch=4
    Don't wory about the extra carracters in the password. Windows add these to disguise the length of the actual password.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Could also be a spyware problem??? I currently use dial up and the error you are getting has happened to me in the past. Fortunately my broadband in on the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Thanks lads...will check over the weekend!
    Could also be a spyware problem??? I currently use dial up and the error you are getting has happened to me in the past. Fortunately my broadband in on the way!!

Any recommendations on free spyware remover that I can download on my laptop, transfer to home PC, that does not require internet access to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

read up www.silentrunners.org

The password in ***** is always shown same size so someone does not know how long it is. :)

Sounds like DNS entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Any recommendations on free spyware remover that I can download on my laptop, transfer to home PC, that does not require internet access to run?[/QUOTE]

Try Ad-Aware www.lavasoft.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I just got ripwave to tie me over until i wait on Eircom to install th broadband in the house.

Now i already have dial up connection 56kbps.

I going to install this Ripwave now and lets assume it is slower than the dial up can i unistall all the settings and go back to the dial up and my outlook express and dial up settings wont be affected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Thanks lads, sorted:) DNS problem alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

LFC5Times wrote:
    I going to install this Ripwave now and lets assume it is slower than the dial up can i unistall all the settings and go back to the dial up and my outlook express and dial up settings wont be affected ?
    Of course why should they? As long as you don't delete them........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Well didnt make a difference as depsite being told by IBB that Ripwave would work in my house,it arrived on friday and couldnt get a signal anywhere in the house,up high, beisde windows etc etc.

So i rang technical support and she told me to try a few things and they didnt work then she goes my area/road etc is actually a blackspot.

I asked her then why did the guy a few days previous say it was ok and would work,she said she had no answer to that.

Typical.

So 20 mins after taking it out of the box it was put back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Get spybot - search and destroy for anti-spyware as it is completely free and has a lot of other useful features and its open source too.

Advertisement