Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Knocking sound. Bushings?

Options
  • 11-02-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi,

everytime recently I go over a bump I get a knocking sound from the front of the car. I reckon my bushings need replacing, hopefully not my shocks.

How much would it cost to get my bushings replaced?
    I take it it's not the biggest job, am i right?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

could be strut top mounts - easy peasy job!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

kbannon wrote:
    could be strut top mounts - easy peasy job!

How would i find out exactly what it is? Bushings, top mounts, alf nose etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Its easy to check the top mounts. Just lift your bonnet and look at them while bouncing the front of the car up and down. If there gone you should be able to see a crack opening and closing as the car bounces. Take a look at another car so you can compare them to what they look like when they aren't gone.

To check the bushing, jack the front of your car up and put it on axle stands, then first look at them to see if they look frayed or cracked. Then with a pry bar or something press the anti-roll bar back and forward at the bushings and do the same with the drop links and any other bushings you see. You should be able to feel a little knock as you move the bar if the bushings are gone.

My moneys on it being the top mounts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

If it's a Mk 4 and past 60K miles, my money's on the anti-roll bar bushings. Had to replace them on my old car and it's a whoer of a job, if you don't have the clamping tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Ok, thanks for the info.

So it seems that it's the bushings or the top mounts....

I'll have an aul look see after work so

• Advertisement
Advertisement