Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The library should open at 8am, any thoughts?

• 11-02-2007 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

With the new farce of a clamping system, and being a 30mile commuter I have found myself forced into getting up a half hour earlier than i used to in order to be in on time and get an "official" parking space.

Anyway, i now to be at the college for 8:30ish and wouldnt mind going up to the library to study or sort my notes for the half hour i have to pass until my 9am lecture, or to pass the hour and a half on the days my lectures start at 10.

But the library doesnt open til 9am, what a surprise, it`d be too much to expect the useless fooks to start their extremely hard working day at 8am or even 8:30am.

Im seriously starting to get fed up with this college, your forced into going down for 8:30 in the mornings and then theres nothing to do until 9. You then cant leave the college for lunch as you wont get a parking spot on return which means your forced into eating the canteen slush that i`d rather starve. So basically you have to be in the college for 8:30 and cant leave until evening as wont get re-parked so you might aswell be on a bus as any flexibility you have with your car is now gone. And if things couldnt get any worse, they expect us to pay for parking in an "official" spot from next September onwards. Thank christ next year will be my last.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Nuttzy wrote:
    i now to be at the college for 8:30ish and wouldnt mind going up to the library to study or sort my notes for the half hour i have to pass until my 9am lecture, or to pass the hour and a half on the days my lectures start at 10.
    lol is this what they call Beboing these days :p

you could have a scout around for a computer lab, which part of the college are you in? ie. Computing / Business / Engineering etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

you can leav the college and *walk* to a shop, get something in there to eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

[sarcasm]Yes and there are so many options to walk there and back to when you only have an hour for lunch [/sarcasm]

Horrendus to see things haven't changed over the last 10 years.

Thats very bad for a third level institute to not open it's library at eight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 drivealive

Nuttzy wrote:
    But the library doesnt open til 9am, what a surprise, it`d be too much to expect the useless fooks to start their extremely hard working day at 8am or even 8:30am.

You know who you should be telling this to dont you.The library!fire an email off to them,there always yapping on trying to get ideas for improvement and the like.
    Im in early most of the time myself, just sit in the car and wait,sure isnt it lovely and warm and youve got marty whelan keeping you entertained on the in-car wireless,hes some boy i tell ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MDTyKe

In defense of the library staff, 8 is kinda early. I for one wouldn't want to start any job at 8.

However, the problem isn't that the library isn't available, it's a lack of an area to study. A solution to that could be to use other facilities, eg: Coffee Dock? If you're in computing, AFAIK L148 is always opened in the morning (near reception). Otherwise, may be worth emailing your department to get at least one lab unlocked when the caretakers come in at 8. May be a better solution?

In response to the canteen food - yes, it's horrendous! Maybe I'm just too fussy with food (okay, I know I am), but I certainly won't spend €6 on processed crap on a plate with dirty forks, when I could spend €8 in town and get something much better, with *SERVICE*. I know I'm pretty snobby that way for a student, but at the rates we're expected to pay for a 'subsidized' service, I seriously question corruption.. something funny is going on. Maybe when the new restaurant (ps: isn't it long finished? What a waste of resources..) we'll have better food as the new caterers will have higher standards to meet.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

In defense of the library staff, 8 is kinda early. I for one wouldn't want to start any job at 8.
    I`d hate to see you working with builders then or any job where you actually have to do a bit of "work". :) I used have to be up at 7 to start work at 8 in the summer.

Im in Engineering department, we`ve the crappest rooms going i reckon. Pity they didnt build a multi-storey carpark(something we need) rather than a new canteen (something we dont need). Old canteen/New canteens,,, ill still be getting my roll in the Londis or he E5 student menu in the Malt house. Tis a nice wee stroll to either of them places too now that im forced to leave my car in the 1 spot from 8:30am til 5pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Thaedydal wrote:
    [sarcasm]Yes and there are so many options to walk there and back to when you only have an hour for lunch [/sarcasm]

Horrendus to see things haven't changed over the last 10 years.

there are three 5 options within 5 minutes walk

There is a mace down the road in an estate (hot and cold food)
    a statoil garage (hot and cold food)
    another garage beside that (more food)
    a centra shop further on down (again, hot and cold food)
    the malt house beside that (pub grub)

Advertisement