Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiesta Clutch

Options
  • 12-02-2007 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any idea what could be up with my fiesta. It's a 97 lx 1.4. The clutch appears to be sticking in gear and then refusing to go into gear after I stop the car and try to restart. It first happened this morning but I got it working, but this evening when on way home it happened again. The car is now not letting me select gear. The only way I could get it moving was by starting the car in first and catching it before it stalled. Any ideas what the problem could be.:confused: Dose it need clutch fliud or something. I can't seem to find anywhere it would go. Any info would be great. If it does require a new clutch any idea what the damage is likely to be :eek:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

alot of cars the clutch fluid is also the brake fluid, don't know if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BillyR

Can't hurt to have a look in the morning. Cheers for the idea. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Can you smell a really nasty smell in the car ? if so clutch is gone, if not another cause of the problem could be air in the system and that means there's a leak somewhere or the master cylinder cap isn't on right.

No. Not that i've noticed.:confused: What would that mean?

If you start smelling a really bad smell and your having problems with your clutch it means it's burning up.

• Advertisement

Ok now I just feel silly :o I cant believe I asked why it might smell. But actually thats a good point. If it's not smelling it may suggest the problem may not be clutch related. (not need to be replaced) Hopefully it just needs fluid or something handy like that. :D Here's hoping. That may save me a shed load of cash I can't really afford to be spending. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Demmo

Most of the time you won't get a smell of burning clutch. you will only get it when you have been putting it under pressure.
    Sounds like your clutch has failed.
    A car with 97k miles is going to want a clutch sooner rather than later.
    If you had a leaking clutch master or slave cylinder you would be missing brake fluid as its the same as the brake system. The warning light would have come on.

It's only got 55k miles on it. But the brake fluid is down pass the minimum level on the gauge. So do you reckon that could be the problem. If so would just any brake fluid be ok to put in or what. Oh did not notice the warning light comming on, but in fairness that could be put down to me just not paying attenion.

dot 4 fluid im almost sure ask in any garage esso, statoil etc the fluid could be a cause contributing factor definitely

Just a quick update. I put the brake/Clutch fluid in. No change. Then proceed to examine the engine bay to see any noticeable problems. Could not see anything :confused: So i've given in and dropped her down to the local garage. God knows what they'll say is wrong :rolleyes: I'm sure it will be expensive :eek: But i'll let ya's know for future reference.

• Advertisement

pity it didnt work, hope it isnt too costly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

The clutch in that car is cable operated and on the older model there was an automatic adjuster mechanism above the pedal in the footwell. If it still uses the adjuster, it is likely that the adjuster hasn't moved on a 'click' or the cable needs to be tightened manually. On the older model, the adjuster would wear out and the clutch pedal would go to the floor and stay there - yours possibly just needs tightening but you should see what the mechanic says.

Is it possible that the floormat is stuck under the pedal? I have seen this prevent full clutch depression and causing clutch drag. Difficulty selecting gears when cold or at standstill is often related to dragging clutches, but rarely due to clutches burning out.

'cptr

Was just on to the machinic there. He said the clutch was "gone". Needs to be replaced, never good :( . Anyone have any idea what thats going to set me back. I asked but i'm not sure if he didn't hear me or what but he never answered :confused: Is it a major job. I find it hard to understand why there would have been no warning that it was about to go. Surely I should have noticed it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing are supplied and replaced as a kit. The kits are around €140 from an auto factor and take less than four hours to fit but is a fairly major job, usually requiring the removal of the gearbox. I'd be budgeting for 350-400 sheets, but you never know with some cowboys...

'c

Ouch! Thats not going to be nice :( But cheers for the info :) just wish I knew more about it so I know what i'm talking about. I hate the feeling i'm about to be ripped off. My mate warned me about this garage, but had no choice as i the car was to messed up to drive far. But hey I may be surprised. :rolleyes: Here's hoping. I'll post how much when I pay the bill.

Thanks for all your help guys.
    Cheers B.

Ok. I got the car back, but was totally ripped off I think, said the Parts came to 320 euro and labour of 300 euro plus vat of 80something euro. The total came to 720 euro. This was to fix the clutch which need the pressue plates and something else fixed. Also had the heating fixed while it was in which accounts for 50euro. So I reckon I may have be ripped off by total cowboys. The parts are all ford parts. :mad:

If all the parts are genuine Ford parts then prices can near double, as for the labour charge €300 is right, so your looking at €75 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

BillyR wrote:
    Also had the heating fixed while it was in which accounts for 50euro.
    Was it the heater control valve that was gone, i.e. it was just blowing cold air? I paid like €45 for this at a Ford dealer so that's not too far off, though I put it in myself. There's a good bit of work involved as the scuttle cover needs to be removed (which means the coolant expansion tank and some other crap have to be moved out the way) to get to it, but all you need are some screwdrivers and a vice grip.

Yeah it was blowing just cold air. Have to say that makes me feel a bit better knowing I was not ripped off to much. Just got such a fright when I heard the bill the first time. Nearly died, Had expected a lot less. So suppose I can't complaine. :)

At least she is running fine now and all is well.

Advertisement