Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Rights

Options
  • 12-02-2007 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Do animals actually have rights or are they just societal contracts just to make everyone feel happier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you own an animal, then they have the right to clean water, food and shelter. Don't give your animals their basic needs and the IPCA or another organistion can take them and you and could be prosecuted.

As for animals in the wild, I don't know really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Same as what Rabies said.
    Curious as to why you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think they have rights insofar as it's illegal to be cruel to aminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

sorry i should have given background to my question,

I hunt, alot, now i care for all my pets to the highest standard, my father is a vet, I will be one, so there are no cruelty issues or animal welfare problems at home. The thing i was debating there not too long ago, the motion was

"that this house should ban fox hunting"

Opp won(my side)now i took the stance that animals inherently have no rights, and that they are on ly societal contracts to mkae everyone feel better.

How did i make this argument, i started off with thousands of animals killed for the food chain daily, if we willingly kill animals on a daily basis, we are therefore denying their right to life.

The right to life is the one right that alll other rights stem from, so if we deny their basic right to life, we are denying them rights altogether.

thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

This question is Probably more suited to Humanities.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I think we shouldmake sure that any animals killed for food are killed fast and as painlessly as possible and mostly I think this is done.

Imo Animals have little or no rights, They only have ispca, smaller agencies and individuals to protect them and this is limited as funding is not really provided and many people don't report neglect, abuse etc...

We have the ability to make decisions over the welfare of an animal and in some cases it is in the interest of the animal to be put down, however, we must think seriously about killing for sport...To hunt, to kill is to terrify and cause a horiffic death.... There should be a law to protect animals from such a terrible death...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055051381

it was already in humanities

my bad:rolleyes:

Advertisement